HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 3:59 PM

That crappy little drive thru bank at Belmont and Southport is gone? I missed that, good riddance.
This will be quite the upgrade for that corner.
https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/7/31...ek-development

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
What is going up on that parking lot at Illinois and Rush again? I see a crane there but i dont remember what the final design for it was. Is that just a new addition to the mall still?
Work (HVAC ?) on the Realtors building.

Chicago | Realator's bldg by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 4:16 PM
BANNED

^HVAC and a vertical addition on the roof. Apparently they're utilizing a couple panes of very tall curved glass at the corners of the new structure. Should look nice and have killer views.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 3:51 PM

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2019...ick-place-more
McCormick place would get dual Motel 6/Studio 6 in landmark auto showroom

A suburban investor wants to build a 200-key dual-brand Studio 6/Motel 6 hotel next to McCormick Place. Chirag Patel of Arlington Heights is asking the Commission on Chicago Landmarks to approve plans to turn the six-story former auto showroom at 2300 South Indiana Avenue into the hotel. The building would include 79 Motel 6 rooms, 121 extended-stay Studio 6 rooms and ground-floor retail.
I love this warehouse conversion to hotel..right across street from McMk, but a dead street. And it backs up to the Motor Row District.

Last edited by jpIllInoIs; Apr 3, 2019 at 4:14 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2019...ick-place-more
McCormick place would get dual Motel 6/Studio 6 in landmark auto showroom

A suburban investor wants to build a 200-key dual-brand Studio 6/Motel 6 hotel next to McCormick Place. Chirag Patel of Arlington Heights is asking the Commission on Chicago Landmarks to approve plans to turn the six-story former auto showroom at 2300 South Indiana Avenue into the hotel. The building would include 79 Motel 6 rooms, 121 extended-stay Studio 6 rooms and ground-floor retail.
I love this warehouse conversion to hotel..right across street from McMk, but a dead street. And it backs up to the Motor Row District.
Oh great - a Motel 6 will certainly class up that neighborhood, just when it's finally getting up to speed.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 4:28 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
Oh great - a Motel 6 will certainly class up that neighborhood, just when it's finally getting up to speed.
There are some people who want a budget hotel. I don't see the issue. Not everything needs to be luxury 5 star lodging with stone sculptures, fountains, and hotel lounges that serve filet mignons by the latest star chef.

Besides, this isn't the fugly 'Motel 6' off exit 79 of the highway that you are used to. It's an historic and vacant multilevel building that's going to be renovated for this purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
There are some people who want a budget hotel. I don't see the issue. Not everything needs to be luxury 5 star lodging with stone sculptures, fountains, and hotel lounges that serve filet mignons by the latest star chef.

Besides, this isn't the fugly 'Motel 6' off exit 79 of the highway that you are used to. It's an historic and vacant multilevel building that's going to be renovated for this purpose.
I've toured this building before and it was in rough shape even two years ago. We should be thankful it is being saved and converted to any use.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 5:23 PM

2300 S Indiana

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 5:43 PM
Urbane observer

One tricky thing about putting hotel rooms in this building is that the south wall is right up against the building next door. About a decade ago I looked at plans to convert it to a Hilton Garden Inn and they were hoping Landmarks (and Buildings) would approve just pulling the room windows in a foot or so from the real south wall, in effect creating a very narrow light shaft.

From a marketing and TravelAdvisor reviews standpoint, that might be an easier sell as rooms in a Motel 6 than under some much fancier flag. Though I've often stayed in windowless rooms in Asia, they're almost unknown in the US.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I've toured this building before and it was in rough shape even two years ago. We should be thankful it is being saved and converted to any use.
Worse is the building across the street where substantial portions of the interior collapsed. Basically only the shell of that can be saved at this point

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
Worse is the building across the street where substantial portions of the interior collapsed. Basically only the shell of that can be saved at this point
July 2017

Chicago | Motor Row by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 7:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Though I've often stayed in windowless rooms in Asia, they're almost unknown in the US.
would they even be legal here, from a building code perspective?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 8:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

logan square development

Quote:
Here’s A First Look At The 100 Percent Affordable Housing Complex Coming Next To Logan Square’s Blue Line Station
The project would bring 100 units of affordable housing and 4,500 square feet of ground-floor commercial space to a city-owned parking lot.

PUBLISHED ON APR 3, 2019 8:30AM CDT
Mina Bloom

LOGAN SQUARE — A long-discussed plan to build an 100 percent affordable housing complex on the city-owned parking lot directly north of the Logan Square Blue Line station is moving forward.

Nonprofit housing developer Bickerdike Redevelopment Corporation has crafted a development proposal for the site at 2602-2638 N. Emmett St. that is expected to face its first regulatory hurdle in the coming months.

Bickerdike’s proposal calls for a two-to-seven-story tiered complex with 100 apartments, 4,500 square feet of ground-floor commercial space — aimed at local small businesses and nonprofits — and 20 on-site parking spaces.
full article: https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/04...-line-station/

source: https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/04...-line-station/

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Horrible design

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 8:35 PM
Show me the blueprints

Guhh. The only thing missing is some cell block numbers on the side. Where's the bull tower over the rooftop weightlifting area? Horrible.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Guhh. The only thing missing is some cell block numbers on the side. Where's the bull tower over the rooftop weightlifting area? Horrible.
Yup That's affordable housing for us...…. Never a good thing.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 9:35 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourstrooper View Post
Yup That's affordable housing for us...…. Never a good thing.
I get that costs are important, but just stick with one design. This looks like 4 ugly buildings that ran into each other.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
I get that costs are important, but just stick with one design. This looks like 4 ugly buildings that ran into each other.
as someone who lives in a neighborhood blessed by affordable housing developers, this design is not as bad as I have seen.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
I mean and we know this thing will be approved for sure due to the new alderman being aro pro...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 10:16 PM

Time to pop some popcorn and watch Logan Square Preservation and the affordable housing folks eat each other alive...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development