HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 3:20 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Mississauga. End of discussion.
I mean...yes but also no? Mississauga's tower cluster is getting larger and larger and is certainly feeling more like an urban area these days. Surely Markham and Brampton are more downtown-less IMO.

Towers themselves don't make a downtown, of course, but I think most can point to an area in Mississauga these days and say 'that's the centre'

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I don't know Winnipeg too well, but if that hadn't happened, would they have just demolished the grand old warehouses in the Exchange District instead?
Some of it. Downtown gradually expanded to encompass more land to the south and to the west. Had it stayed centred along Main Street there's no question it would have taken out a good number of Exchange District buildings but the upshot is that we probably would have had a decent and reasonably thriving residential district south of Graham where there are basically small 60s-80s office buildings and surface parking lots now.

The Exchange is a bit of a time capsule... there are some intersections you can stand at where the streetscape has barely changed in 100+ years.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 7:38 PM

DT Milton is not charming to me. It's decent yes, but I reserve charming for Oakville, Unionville, Burlington and some other GTA DTs like Newmarket and Georgetown ahead of Milton. The few times I have passed through or stopped in DT Milton, I never felt that IT factor. And I don't like how the main street and the residential area end so abruptly. And they have a gorgeous city hall too.

But I'd wager that 8 or 9/10 Milton residents from teen up to 30 years old don't even go DT Milton for entertainment or something to do. And I'd guess the vast majority don't even know what city hall looks like.

The problem with Milton is that tract housing is what dominates the image of Milton because it's so pervasive. So even though they have a decent downtown and nature aplenty outside the developments, the perception is always suburban hell hole. And their employment lands isn't very big. And I don't think there's really any office of note there. Just some industrial, which to me isn't as big as I thought it would be.

As for Paris and New Hamburg, they are pretty small in terms of downtown. I find Paris' to be more attractive (the main street), while I find New Hamburg's to be more interesting due to the architecture. Mind you, I've only been to Paris twice and New Hamburg once. And both being on an attractive river is nice.

By the way, those towns outside Ottawa or some places between Kingston and Ottawa are surprising to me. I knew of a couple but I see there's a couple more I didn't know were that decent.

As for Lindsay, yes, fairly nice main street, but ya, the one time I drove around away from that main street and saw the quality of many of the people around the apartment buildings and on the balconies... it was eye opening.

And for Mississauga, while I think they technically call Square One area downtown or city centre, the fact that residents don't call it either makes it suspect. Yes, it has much of the density and infrastructure of a DT, but in practice, no one calls it that. They say I live around Square One. And of course, they don't have a traditional main street lined by an eclectic mix of businesses and/or buildings. The epicentre of their "downtown" is actually the mall. But, yes, due to the density of highrises, and some offices, plus school that exist there, Mississauga does have a downtown, just not a traditional one.

Will agree that Markham is more downtownless, but I think Brampton has more of a downtown due to it's organic origins of a downtown. To me at least. It's not a nice downtown, but if you start at the Four Corners, as in Hurontario (Main St.) and Queen, and walk in any direction, it feels like a proper downtown. Though, it is quite undersized given Brampton's population, which is why Brampton is seen as a suburban hell hole. It's DT is more akin to a small city or big "town".

Anyway, it's got that historic aspect that Mississauga's doesn't. Of course, Mississauga chose not to make Port Credit their downtown or Streetsville, otherwise, it would have some of that heritage we associate with downtowns.

Last edited by megadude; May 10, 2021 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I mean...yes but also no? Mississauga's tower cluster is getting larger and larger and is certainly feeling more like an urban area these days. Surely Markham and Brampton are more downtown-less IMO.

Towers themselves don't make a downtown, of course, but I think most can point to an area in Mississauga these days and say 'that's the centre'
Mississauga's formal downtown is Streetsville and Markham has Main Street.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
DT Milton is not charming to me. It's decent yes, but I reserve charming for Oakville, Unionville, Burlington and some other GTA DTs like Newmarket and Georgetown ahead of Milton. The few times I have passed through or stopped in DT Milton, I never felt that IT factor. And I don't like how the main street and the residential area end so abruptly. And they have a gorgeous city hall too.

But I'd wager that 8 or 9/10 Milton residents from teen up to 30 years old don't even go DT Milton for entertainment or something to do. And I'd guess the vast majority don't even know what city hall looks like.

The problem with Milton is that tract housing is what dominates the image of Milton because it's so pervasive. So even though they have a decent downtown and nature aplenty outside the developments, the perception is always suburban hell hole. And their employment lands isn't very big. And I don't think there's really any office of note there. Just some industrial, which to me isn't as big as I thought it would be.

As for Paris and New Hamburg, they are pretty small in terms of downtown. I find Paris' to be more attractive (the main street), while I find New Hamburg's to be more interesting due to the architecture. Mind you, I've only been to Paris twice and New Hamburg once. And both being on an attractive river is nice.

By the way, those towns outside Ottawa or some places between Kingston and Ottawa are surprising to me. I knew of a couple but I see there's a couple more I didn't know were that decent.

As for Lindsay, yes, fairly nice main street, but ya, the one time I drove around away from that main street and saw the quality of many of the people around the apartment buildings and on the balconies... it was eye opening.

And for Mississauga, while I think they technically call Square One area downtown or city centre, the fact that residents don't call it either makes it suspect. Yes, it has much of the density and infrastructure of a DT, but in practice, no one calls it that. They say I live around Square One. And of course, they don't have a traditional main street lined by an eclectic mix of businesses and/or buildings. The epicentre of their "downtown" is actually the mall. But, yes, due to the density of highrises, and some offices, plus school that exist there, Mississauga does have a downtown, just not a traditional one.

Will agree that Markham is more downtownless, but I think Brampton has more of a downtown due to it's organic origins of a downtown. To me at least. It's not a nice downtown, but if you start at the Four Corners, as in Hurontario (Main St.) and Queen, and walk in any direction, it feels like a proper downtown. Though, it is quite undersized given Brampton's population, which is why Brampton is seen as a suburban hell hole. It's DT is more akin to a small city or big "town".

Anyway, it's got that historic aspect that Mississauga's doesn't. Of course, Mississauga chose not to make Port Credit their downtown or Streetsville, otherwise, it would have some of that heritage we associate with downtowns.
Heritage considerations do not allow for expansion of their "down towns"

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isotack View Post
Mississauga's formal downtown is Streetsville and Markham has Main Street.
Do you mean informal? Have never heard of Streetsville being the formal downtown.

Markham Village was a historic city centre but as you should probably know, the city officially designated a new Downtown Markham that is currently being built up.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isotack View Post
Heritage considerations do not allow for expansion of their "down towns"
Not sure what you mean here.

I am talking heritage buildings that had newer developments built adjacent to or around. Or in some cases, new developments built in older styles to blend in with the surroundings. Or in the residential area of a downtown, heritage homes, of which Mississauga City Centre (Square One area) has none. See DT Brampton.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 12:11 AM
recession proof

Lake Shore and Dundas in Mississauga I consider downtown and uptown respectively. Streetsville is just an old farming village, functioning much like old main street Milton. Square One area is just a vertical subdivision.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 8:39 PM
Ham-burgher

I was in Orangeville, ON yesterday. Perhaps it's been mentioned, but it deserves a plug here.

Lovely downtown, and I haven't explored its older neighbourhoods though I bet there are some really nice older homes. To the south is Forks of the Credit provincial park and some really nice little villages that may be a bit touristy but they're pretty (Terra Cotta and Belfountain, for example), and to the north is Hockley Valley and another great park called Mono Cliffs. This area is a very picturesque part of Southern Ontario.

But Orangeville is surrounded by suburbia and has lots of big-box retail on its flanks (particularly where the town abuts Hwy 10). It's like Little Milton with a better core. I do fear for its future.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 9:02 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

Maybe the centre, but downtown as we traditionally understand it? Has anyone in Mississauga hearing "let's go downtown" ever understood that to mean Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe instead of Yonge or Queen West? Will that ever be likely in the future? With the prominence of Square One, I highly doubt it.

Brampton totally has a downtown that feels more downtownish than anything in Mississauga outside of Streetsville and Port Credit (those latter two never having been considered Mississauga's downtown): https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.68591...7i16384!8i8192.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Brampton totally has a downtown that feels more downtownish than anything in Mississauga outside of Streetsville and Port Credit (those latter two never having been considered Mississauga's downtown): https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.68591...7i16384!8i8192.
I don't know where exactly Streetsville and Port Credit are located within current Mississauga but it can hardly be worse than Laval where all the old villages are on the outer perimeter of the city (since they're all on the water, obviously) so none of them can serve as the anchor of a central "downtown".

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 9:13 PM

I just found this, below.
Definitely settles it!

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Dow...!4d-79.6440623

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 9:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Maybe the centre, but downtown as we traditionally understand it? Has anyone in Mississauga hearing "let's go downtown" ever understood that to mean Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe instead of Yonge or Queen West? Will that ever be likely in the future? With the prominence of Square One, I highly doubt it.

You made me think that on the Quebec side of the Ottawa River there is some ambiguity when people refer to going "downtown" (au centre-ville).

I guess that's why people here tend to be more precise: they generally say "au centre-ville de Hull" or "au centre-ville d'Ottawa". Though they're both in the same general vicinity so it's not that confusing - you'd get the gist of the geographic area no matter what.

Though when Gatineau people refer to "le marché" (the market), it always means the Byward Market in Ottawa. Even though Gatineau has a few (very modest) markets of its own.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 9:25 PM

Yup, decent main street. I only pass through though and don't actually spend time there. We had a mortgage on retail there. And I would fish down the street at the reservoir.

And I did find the housing kind of interesting. I didn't know what to expect. To make a random comparison, I'd rather live in Orangeville than Barrie. Though the villages of Terra Cotta and Belfountain you mention, in Caledon, are two places I would desire to live in more. Country style house in a village setting.

Been skiing several times at Hockley. Actually the only place I've skied. Good place to kill a couple hours every so often as it's nearby. And then go to Blue Mountain if you're more serious and have more time to spend.

Lots of Brampton people have made the move there for housing affordability, but it doesn't feel like a GTA type locale yet and won't for a long time. They're even moving to Shelburne, 20 minutes up the road. My colleague did that move from Brampton last year for a detached house instead of some shitty old row house in Bramalea. And my cousin's wife sold a development up there a few years ago. She told me so many of the prospective buyers were coming from Brampton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I was in Orangeville, ON yesterday. Perhaps it's been mentioned, but it deserves a plug here.

Lovely downtown, and I haven't explored its older neighbourhoods though I bet there are some really nice older homes. To the south is Forks of the Credit provincial park and some really nice little villages that may be a bit touristy but they're pretty (Terra Cotta and Belfountain, for example), and to the north is Hockley Valley and another great park called Mono Cliffs. This area is a very picturesque part of Southern Ontario.

But Orangeville is surrounded by suburbia and has lots of big-box retail on its flanks (particularly where the town abuts Hwy 10). It's like Little Milton with a better core. I do fear for its future.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 1:28 AM

I'm confused. I thought this thread was about villages and towns.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 4:54 AM
recession proof

Orangeville has lovely old Victorian homes but the people there, especially the suburbanites are just trash ugh. Back when I drank coffee I liked Mochaberry.

I did enjoy hiking through the Glen Cross/Bruce Trail area.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Orangeville has lovely old Victorian homes but the people there, especially the suburbanites are just trash ugh. Back when I drank coffee I liked Mochaberry.

I did enjoy hiking through the Glen Cross/Bruce Trail area.
That's so not cool.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post

The cycling in that area (Dufferin County) is sublime.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 2:05 PM

Glen Williams is a really quaint little hamlet wedged between Georgetown and Brampton. I really love it.. makes you forget there's sprawl just a short distance away.. feels very quaint.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 2:41 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

lynn lake 3am

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada