HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 12:14 AM

Any chance for the Safeway parking lot on Market near Castro to be redeveloped? Seems like a waste of space. The whole site is actually prime for a mixed use project reincorporating the Safeway and parking into a larger redevelopment.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
Any chance for the Safeway parking lot on Market near Castro to be redeveloped? Seems like a waste of space. The whole site is actually prime for a mixed use project reincorporating the Safeway and parking into a larger redevelopment.
For the moment, the CDC has apparently advised the city NOT to try to force the homeless out of their tents and into shelters on the belief that individual tents are more “socially distanced” than communal living in shelters. I’d like the city, though, to move the tents off sidewalks and onto under- or un-used surface parking lots since almost nobody is commuting these days and few people are even driving so the lots are just sitting there.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 5:02 PM

deleted

Last edited by hruski; Apr 16, 2020 at 4:47 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 6:32 AM

Quote:
I live in the neighborhood and wish this more than anything else development-related. Now that the GNC and See’s Candies storefronts are closed, it would be easy to move the Jamba Juice out and develop the easternmost portion of the property first (with multiple levels of underground parking). Then a new Safeway with housing above could be built on the main surface parking lot followed by the current Safeway being demolished and replaced with housing.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
I live in the neighborhood and wish this more than anything else development-related. Now that the GNC and See’s Candies storefronts are closed, it would be easy to move the Jamba Juice out and develop the easternmost portion of the property first (with multiple levels of underground parking). Then a new Safeway with housing above could be built on the main surface parking lot followed by the current Safeway being demolished and replaced with housing.
I also live in the neighborhood and would LOVE to see this redeveloped. I think a phased approach allowing the grocery store to remain operational would make a lot of sense.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 9:31 PM
BANNED

https://socketsite.com/archives/2012...ket_stree.html

An old plan for that lot which I'm pretty sure is dead now.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 11:09 PM

Nice find! Although, I'm sure the site could support a lot more density than what this is showing.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 3:54 PM
heavy user of walkability

a few from yesterday...

Serif (think there is some cladding already up on the lowest floor)

Ferry Plaza has benches now...

it did look like a little more progress on Folsom had been made. the curb has been formed at Main

and it wasn't clear to me if the rest of the block's sidewalks (to the east) were any wider, but they were certainly torn up

this is across from Philz at Beale

and at the Fortress of Doom

the hotel at the corner of Folsom and 2nd has been getting a makeover on its ground floor. on the 2nd St side the porte-cochère is being removed, and here on Folsom there is some sort of extension being built.

work on 2nd St also continues... new bus island between Harrison and Folsom

moving south, the entrance to Taber Alley is all torn up

the old and new sidewalk widths

after just being painted for a long time, the entrance to South Park from 2nd is getting formally constructed

another new bus island, just south of the South Park entryway

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 12:15 AM

Salesforce buys building next to SF headquarters for $145 million as offices remain shut

440 - 450 Mission St. Zoned up to 550 feet. Fingers crossed something comes down the pike.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...photo-19323675

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 9:36 PM

1298 Howard Street at 9th Street

Foundation work on the 5 story housing in progress

1298 Howard Street/9th Street

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 9:33 PM

Salesforce bought Terminal Plaza and I am worried that they'll plan to tear it down since that site is zoned to accommodate up to 550 ft. worth of development. I'll have to find a way to chain myself to the building maybe in the Walgreens!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 7:19 AM

just down the street from 5M, this one is slightly south of Folsom on 5th

a bit more 2nd St...

some of the parts that are almost done definitely have an improved feel to them

looking into South Park

looking south across the neck of the South Park Entrance

Taber Alley is obviously being worked on

jumping over to Folsom, this is the corner across from Philz (@ Beale)

another jump, to Fourth St, and the Moscone Central Subway station entrance

the next stop south, at Brannan

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 8:02 AM

So are they working on any of these projects or any projects in SF?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 10:55 PM
Build Baby Build

A few projects seem shut down, a few seem to be continuing. There is a good amount of work continuing at Oceanwide and Mira. I don't see any work at One Steuart Lane or 706 Mission.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 8:34 PM

Quote:
New Bay Area new shelter-in-place order — rules relaxed on construction, outdoor businesses, golf
Dominic Fracassa April 29, 2020 Updated: April 29, 2020 12:38 p.m.

Public health officials in six Bay Area counties and the city of Berkeley released new health orders Wednesday extending mandates to shelter-in-place through May 31, while relaxing restrictions around some outdoor businesses and recreation activities.

The orders were developed and handed down jointly by public health officers in Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo and Santa Clara counties and Berkeley, which has its own health department.

The new orders will take effect Monday, the day existing shelter-in-place mandates would have expired.

Under the new orders, previous requirements to practice social distancing and to venture out only for essential errands and exercise remain in force. But health officials have made several changes that ease prohibitions on outdoor activities put in place in recent weeks. Health officials said the region was laying the groundwork to gradually get back to a sense of normalcy while protecting against a possible surge in new cases.

All construction will be allowed to resume, provided that builders can comply with health and safety guidelines. Separate sets of rules will be put in place, depending on the size of the project. Real estate transactions will also be able to start up again, but with limitations on open houses and in-person viewings. The orders will also clarify that individuals are free to move residences . . . .
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...s-15234640.php

Frankly, to do anything else would have been unscientific. There is practically no evidence of disease transmission out of doors. But rules against driving to and walking on the beach or in parks prove our officials can be unscientific. Hard-hit NYC has even been using the shut-down of service to speed up some renovation work on its subway system, but I'm told no work is being done on the Van Ness BRT project.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...s-15234640.php

Frankly, to do anything else would have been unscientific. There is practically no evidence of disease transmission out of doors. But rules against driving to and walking on the beach or in parks prove our officials can be unscientific. Hard-hit NYC has even been using the shut-down of service to speed up some renovation work on its subway system, but I'm told no work is being done on the Van Ness BRT project.
Van Ness BRT work has definitely continued. I drive by everyday to/from work. Most large scale residential projects never stopped. Oceanwide is the only all-commercial project I recall that never stopped work. They also move up a replacement project for a section of 101 near the 280 cross-over that was scheduled for July. Perfect time to complete. It's causing very minor traffic delays.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 5:12 PM

Sorry for my ignorance, but wasn't Oceanwide put on hold? I know that it was for sale, but was it purchased? Really hoping that project continues, will create such a vibrant corner there in the Fidi.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Sorry for my ignorance, but wasn't Oceanwide put on hold? I know that it was for sale, but was it purchased? Really hoping that project continues, will create such a vibrant corner there in the Fidi.
Oceanwide has its own thread with info:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...185537&page=52

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
So are they working on any of these projects or any projects in SF?
sorry, I thought it was apparent from the pics that work on both 2nd St and Folsom St was actively ongoing.

as fimiak mentioned, I see progress on some things, and on others it's harder to tell.

near Mission Bay, work on Crane Cove Park has advanced, for example.

I don't know about the Central Subway - I was hoping they would take advantage of the traffic lull to accelerate work on the 4th and King intersection, where they still have to lay tracks. I don't see any recent updates here

this says

Quote:
Per the City and County of San Francisco's Public Health Order, essential infrastructure projects, including the Van Ness Improvement Project, continue. The work underway on Van Ness Avenue is vital, replacing aging utilities essential for operation, including sewer and water. The SFMTA continues to monitor projects as the situation develops.

In the next two weeks crews are scheduled to work on sewer and water main installation, installing a joint-utility trench, sidewalk and roadway replacement and light pole installation. ...

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 12:23 AM

news on Balboa Reservoir

Quote:
Mayor London Breed seals deal for 1,100 new homes near Balboa Park BART
J.K. Dineen April 29, 2020 Updated: April 29, 2020 9:59 a.m.

San Francisco Mayor London Breed has finalized an agreement with the developers of the Balboa Reservoir, a key milestone in winning approvals of a controversial plan that would add 1,100 homes to the 17-acre parking lot next to City College.

The development agreement includes a commitment that the developers — Bridge Housing, AvalonBay and Mission Housing — make 550 of the units affordable. It will also include 4 acres of open space, a large child care center, a community center, and $10 million in fees to the city for transit and infrastructure improvements.

Legislation detailing the development agreement and a special use district needed to rezone the property were introduced at the Board of Supervisors Tuesday by board President Norman Yee, who had not previously taken a public position on the development.

Jen Low, a legislative aide to Yee, said that the details of the project would continue to evolve before final approvals, which are likely to happen this summer.

If approved, work on the $30 million of required infrastructure improvements — parks, roads, utilities, sidewalks, landscaping — will likely start in 2022. The first four buildings — two affordable and two market rate — will open in early 2024.

Phase one would include 154 units of educator housing and 123 apartments that would be affordable to a family of four making between $37,000 and $98,000 a year. City College faculty and staff would have first preference for the educator housing.

The Balboa Reservoir property is an approximately 17-acre parcel that the city and county of San Francisco owns under the jurisdiction of the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission.

But strong opposition persists. Breed is the fourth San Francisco mayor to attempt to build on the parking lot. Previous projects have been met with fierce resistance from residents and college students and faculty.

But the fact that two-thirds of the affordable housing at the Balboa Reservoir will be paid for by the market rate developers — the city will subsidize the other third — frees up hundreds of millions of dollars for other projects, according to Jon Winston, chairman of the Community Advisory Committee.

Without money from private developers the project would soak up much of the bond money the city has for affordable housing. “We would be lucky to get 200 or 300 affordable units,” he said.
edit: although the article mentions BART in the headline, the closer major transit line from this location is the K-Ingleside (which can take you to BART, of course).

Last edited by timbad; May 1, 2020 at 12:34 AM. Reason: noted

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations