HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Ottawa's signs have displayed 900,000 for 10 years.

Big cities need to add digital counters to their "Welcome" signs.
At one time Strathroy, Ontario had welcome signs that had a changeable population sign. Every time I went to Strathroy the number was different.

Their slogan back then? “And we’re growing”

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I'm 100% sure it no longer exists but I remember when I was a kid the entrance sign to Cochrane, Alberta had the phrase "Nuclear Free Zone" on it somewhere. That one seemed a bit baffling to me.
Vancouver has one of these signs on Lougheed Highway where it becomes Broadway, just west of Boundary Road.

Last edited by manny_santos; Aug 23, 2022 at 9:56 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I was just thinking that I haven't seen one in Montreal aside from the sign on every bridge reminding you not to turn right on reds on the island:
https://goo.gl/maps/Fo68VFdHZMP2

There isn't much in Toronto either except for the standard MTO style city limits with population sign:
https://goo.gl/maps/yuaPp7NJKQm

In general having ornate welcome signs seems more of a thing done in smaller communities. To boost their brand, I'd imagine.
Some Metro Vancouver municipalities have these kinds of signs. Vancouver itself has them, as do Coquitlam and Port Moody. A couple entrances to Burnaby have generic signs showing the city logo (which kind of looks like London’s logo), but crossing between New Westminster and Burnaby you’d never know you’ve crossed a municipal boundary. New Westminster doesn’t mark its city limits, except on North Road entering from Burnaby/Coquitlam.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford1 View Post
No comment on prick-up truck alley?
https://www.google.com/maps/@49.9072...7i13312!8i6656
Sorry lads, but Lamborghini's and Ferrari's are a somewhat useless on gravel roads and prairie trails.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 9:26 AM

An old Canadian Tractor Company

The original logo

The updated and cleaner look

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 1:48 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Sorry lads, but Lamborghini's and Ferrari's are a somewhat useless on gravel roads and prairie trails.
I would say our highways are also ill-suited to anything but a truck or fairly large thing like a Jeep. Frankly, some of our roads are a hazard at the posted speed limit. But it's what you get with the most roads per capita.

I am a big fan of the old logos.

From a rather serendipitous find of [url=https://www.websharx.ca/blog/50-canadian-logos-history/]https://www.websharx.ca/blog/50-canadian-logos-history/[url]

Some of them are downright terrible, like the psychotic Alberta Golden Bears logo, but there's lots of great ones like the National Film Board.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 2:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
The London Knights had a God-awful logo in the mid-late 90s. I believe it was nicknamed Spider-Knight:

Sportslogos.net
Spiderman, Spiderman
Just came out of the garbage can.
Is he strong? No he's not.
He's got radioactive snot.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 2:09 PM

Really liked the Als logo and uniform colours of that period.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 2:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

How's this for a so insanely "80's" logo:

wikipedia

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I would say our highways are also ill-suited to anything but a truck or fairly large thing like a Jeep. Frankly, some of our roads are a hazard at the posted speed limit. But it's what you get with the most roads per capita.

I am a big fan of the old logos.

From a rather serendipitous find of [url=https://www.websharx.ca/blog/50-canadian-logos-history/]https://www.websharx.ca/blog/50-canadian-logos-history/[url]

Some of them are downright terrible, like the psychotic Alberta Golden Bears logo, but there's lots of great ones like the National Film Board.

I had an idea of the U of A logo in my mind but had to look it up when you said it. Ya never noticed how psycho the bear looks. It's pretty funny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta_Golden_Bears_football

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 4:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I had an idea of the U of A logo in my mind but had to look it up when you said it. Ya never noticed how psycho the bear looks. It's pretty funny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert...Bears_football

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
The London Knights had a God-awful logo in the mid-late 90s. I believe it was nicknamed Spider-Knight:

Sportslogos.net
Hockey logos kind of went off the rails in the 90s and 00s. Almost every new design from about 1995-2005 looks like absolute crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

The goose was really nice too, the way they incorporated it into the livery:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Airlines

Anyway, speaking of railway noodles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comboios_de_Portugal
I love the Canadian Airlines goose. It was nice just on its own, but the fact that it was an homage to some of Canadian Pacific's earlier liveries just made it. It's too bad it was so short lived as it was adopted a short while before Air Canada took them over.

Further on the railway noodles, it's interesting to note that CN adapted its noodle to its Grand Trunk and Central Vermont subsidiaries.

In its later years right before it was shut down, CN also had a distinctive logo for its Newfoundland operations. It wasn't a noodle as such but it kind of complemented the CN noodle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
How's this for a so insanely "80's" logo:

wikipedia
That is such a weird team name... the "Manic". I know it supposedly references the Manicouagan River, but that seems like more of a weak attempt at rationalizing it... why would a team in Montreal name itself after a river up near Baie-Comeau?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 7:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Hockey logos kind of went off the rails in the 90s and 00s. Almost every new design from about 1995-2005 looks like absolute crap.

I love the Canadian Airlines goose. It was nice just on its own, but the fact that it was an homage to some of Canadian Pacific's earlier liveries just made it. It's too bad it was so short lived as it was adopted a short while before Air Canada took them over.

Further on the railway noodles, it's interesting to note that CN adapted its noodle to its Grand Trunk and Central Vermont subsidiaries.

In its later years right before it was shut down, CN also had a distinctive logo for its Newfoundland operations. It wasn't a noodle as such but it kind of complemented the CN noodle:

That is such a weird team name... the "Manic". I know it supposedly references the Manicouagan River, but that seems like more of a weak attempt at rationalizing it... why would a team in Montreal name itself after a river up near Baie-Comeau?

yeah, it is bizarre. I always joked that they left out a =n 'a' (Maniac). There was a very fiery player by the name of Tony Towers* that regularly used to loose his shit.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Towers

Something about guys with curly hair...they often have very bad tempers.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 7:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The Vancouver Canucks had a really ugly logo period.

dailyhive

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 7:10 PM
arf

Quote:
The headlines when the team is losing pretty much writes itself.

No Need for the Manic to Panic, yet

Time for the Manic to Push the Panic Button

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 7:11 PM
ハルウララ

The V Jersey wasn't that bad.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 7:18 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
It was a huge Hydro-Quebec project, so very much on people's minds and the pride of the new Quebec Inc. etc.

It also combines English-language understandability with a soupçon of joie de vivre.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
It was a huge Hydro-Quebec project, so very much on people's minds and the pride of the new Quebec Inc. etc.

It also combines English-language understandability with a soupçon of joie de vivre.
Sounds like it was their "Spirited Energy"

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
The classic Saskatchewan wheat sheaf, replaced a few years ago by the garbage on the right:

http://www.underconsideration.com/br...skatchewan.php
LOL! I was living in SK when they did that. At least they still have the simple licence plates.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 8:35 PM

A few provinces replaced their longstanding iconic logos in recent years... Ontario, Saskatchewan, Alberta... it's a shame. Those changes were all downgrades.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada