HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 5:21 AM
The good old days are now

We don't see enough of Halifax here. It really should be on the radar of a lot more people. It is probably the Canadian city that punches above its weight the most. Thanks for the shots Empire!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 6:11 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Well I've always loved it!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 9:15 AM
BANNED

That's a nice picture of downtown Halifax, even if it's roughly a decade out-of-date.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 10:28 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Wow, great pictures, Empire. Halifax looks a lot more colourful and filled-in than I remember it. In my memories, the sky, buildings, and streets were all the same colour. Your Granville Mall shot is especially nice:

Quote:
Love the bridge shot too.

Any plans to plant trees or so some garden landscaping on Citadel Hill?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 1:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Any plans to plant trees or so some garden landscaping on Citadel Hill?
Some modest landscaping would be nice, I agee; although, this landscaping would have to consist mostly of shrubs and bonsai trees. Tree height is still unwanted height. The City would likely want Victorian styled landscaping, just like what's in the Public Gardens, as well as what has been proposed for around Province House.

From what I've observed, the two largest oppositional opinions towards what you're proposing are: (1) that this military installation has never been a "garden", so repurposing the landscape would be totally out of context with the fort's history; and (2) this amount of green space (where the grass is usually maintained decently) is an extremely valuable 'open' space for students and downtown residents to have outdoor picnics and to sunbathe (the hill draws large crowds during the non-winter seasons just because of this).

The Citadel's green space will soon get used much more because of all the residential construction happening around it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 1:55 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Some modest landscaping would be nice, I agee; although, this landscaping would have to consist mostly of shrubs and bonsai trees. Tree height is still unwanted height. The City would likely want Victorian styled landscaping, just like what's in the Public Gardens, as well as what has been proposed for around Province House.

From what I've observed, the two largest oppositional opinions towards what you're proposing are: (1) that this military installation has never been a "garden", so repurposing the landscape would be totally out of context with the fort's history; and (2) this amount of green space (where the grass is usually maintained decently) is an extremely valuable 'open' space for students and downtown residents to have outdoor picnics and to sunbathe (the hill draws large crowds during the non-winter seasons just because of this).

The Citadel's green space will soon get used much more because of all the residential construction happening around it.
Oh, if people use it, leave it bare. Most of our parks downtown (Victoria, Bannerman, Bowring, etc.) have a small section of tended grass set out from any shade for sunbathing, games, etc. I don't think anyone here would want to lose those in favour of gardens.

Maybe spread a few cannons around the grounds or something? Just a little something to tie it all together.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 2:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Maybe spread a few cannons around the grounds or something?
Just decorate with some accessories?

Aesthetically, I like the cleancut green grass constrasted against the density of infrastructure (and trees) of the downtown. Aerial pics of Halifax's core are my favourite.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 2:14 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Just decorate with some accessories?

Aesthetically, I like the cleancut green grass constrasted against the density of infrastructure (and trees) of the downtown. Aerial pics of Halifax's core are my favourite.
It's an interesting effect, for sure.

http://thefabweb.com/47849/30-best-c...achment/47872/

If I still lived in Halifax, I'd spend all of my time in that little block between Scotia Place and the harbour. Love it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 2:27 PM

LOVE that shot!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 4:24 PM

Anyone happens to have more pics of the area around that Morse's Teas buildings? If I recall correctly, it's one of the nicest parts of Old Halifax IMO. (Keep in mind I've never been there, going only from memory of the few pics I've seen on this forum.)

Keep the pics going and I might start to consider relocating there...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 4:31 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

If I remember correctly, that building is more off to itself. I seem to recall a lot of park/parking lot around it? But I can't be sure.

Barrington is my favourite street in Halifax. And I love the pockets where the older buildings still dominate.

Check out this walking tour.

He starts over by the lower right side of the picture I posted, standing literally beside the Morse's Teas building, and walks around the areas heading (mostly) toward the left.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 5:03 PM

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/entert...311/story.html

Finally! Hopefully now Saskatoon will see some increased activity.

We are awaiting news on North Prairie Developments new City Centre Tower at 90m and River Landings 95m tower

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 5:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
If I still lived in Halifax, I'd spend all of my time in that little block between Scotia Place and the harbour. Love it.

I like that view of Halifax you've posted. Within a few years, an updated photo will contain over a dozen new towers. Considering how small downtown Halifax is, relatively, that's a big deal for us!

And if the cityscape from Scotia (Square?) and the waterfront is your favourite spot: it'll be improved, hopefully within the next decade, as the highway interchange to the north (located to the right in your photo) will be torn down to allow for developments! The public consultations have begun and I'm incredibly excited!!

Personally, I'm hoping for towers akin to the "taller" towers already established in that area of the downtown. We might get something along the lines of 30-storey buildings, since this location is far enough away from the Citadel Hill, and it's not within any of the Citadel Hill's viewplanes.

Huzzah!! Fingers crossed, eh?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 6:00 PM

Quote:
If I remember correctly, that building is more off to itself. I seem to recall a lot of park/parking lot around it? But I can't be sure.

Barrington is my favourite street in Halifax. And I love the pockets where the older buildings still dominate.

Check out this walking tour.

He starts over by the lower right side of the picture I posted, standing literally beside the Morse's Teas building, and walks around the areas heading (mostly) toward the left.

Video Link
Thanks!!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 9:38 PM
ARTchitecture

Great photo showing the inner city density of Victoria...

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 7:52 AM

Sunny Iqaluit!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 6:20 PM

These pics really are fantastic, and are likely closest to the truth of the beauty of Halifax!!!

Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 7:17 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Halifax and Victoria are two lovely looking cities.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 10:22 PM
ARTchitecture

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Jan 17, 2014 at 4:37 AM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 4:36 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Anyone happens to have more pics of the area around that Morse's Teas buildings? If I recall correctly, it's one of the nicest parts of Old Halifax IMO. (Keep in mind I've never been there, going only from memory of the few pics I've seen on this forum.)
I've got a few photos (older and unfortunately not great quality):

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada