HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
I passed through Harkness station on my way home from work and it looks like they've washed or treated the concrete panels on the building. It's looking real nice

However, it's too bad that they weren't allowed to put those townhouses in on the front of the parkade, having a street front on Stradbrook from Donald to Harkness would really add to the feel of the station. Are they putting panels or sort on the sides of the parkade? It looked like they were doing something to it.
Oh they were allowed, they decided to save money and the city said sure, bucko! They've installed a few plain steel mesh panels which honestly just draw more attention to how ugly it is. There is one "art panel" to be installed on the Stradbrook side, but the renders made it look like maybe it'll cover 25%. It's going to be like the big psyche-out of the Centrepoint parkade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Yeah that's a loss to be sure, but townhouses feel somewhat off on that street. I'd have gladly settled for more commercial street front units to hide the parkade in behind.
I think townhouses would have done just fine, but yeah it could have been commercial or just anything. Hell, put the building gym in front of it. It's across from an RT station and the city just announced massive investments coming to RT. If I was the owner of 240 Stradbrook I'd be tearing down the big awning out front and building some commercial space all along the front, plenty of space for it.

That whole area around Harkness is ripe for a boom – great location and proximity to downtown but would be a little less pricey. Quick busses to U of M. Those empty lots on Mayfair/River are begging for mid-high rise development.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 2:38 PM

What was happening with the empty lots on Mayfair? Formerly Manitoba Housing.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
What was happening with the empty lots on Mayfair? Formerly Manitoba Housing.
Still owned by MB Housing.

Last summer, the lot was full of overgrown weeds and the boulevard wasn't maintained. I contacted 311 about it, but apparently the Neighbourhood Liveability Bylaw can't be enforced with provincially-owned properties (?!).

It took several calls/emails to Manitoba Housing and nearly two months before they came out to maintain their property.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbnevs View Post
Still owned by MB Housing.

Last summer, the lot was full of overgrown weeds and the boulevard wasn't maintained. I contacted 311 about it, but apparently the Neighbourhood Liveability Bylaw can't be enforced with provincially-owned properties (?!).

It took several calls/emails to Manitoba Housing and nearly two months before they came out to maintain their property.
It's similar with the City. They hold contractors to a higher standard then they do them selves. Ie: street work. Contractors need proper barricades, signage, advanced warning etc. The City comes out, throws up a pylon and it's all good.

One time they were repairing the curb at Disraeli and Main (where the panhandlers always are). The guy was literally sitting on the ground in the traffic lane, doing the concrete, with just a cone, no flag person. It was insane. Cars whizzing by.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It's similar with the City. They hold contractors to a higher standard then they do them selves. Ie: street work. Contractors need proper barricades, signage, advanced warning etc. The City comes out, throws up a pylon and it's all good.

One time they were repairing the curb at Disraeli and Main (where the panhandlers always are). The guy was literally sitting on the ground in the traffic lane, doing the concrete, with just a cone, no flag person. It was insane. Cars whizzing by.
There are enough union people that go by there so I am surprised that nobody called the 204 957-SAFE line to report a unsafe job site.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 6:19 PM

In other union news. Hydro finally fixed our street lights last week. Back lane lighting was also not functioning because now may backyard basks in the steely glow of the LED's.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 12:36 AM

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 6:00 AM

The tower looks sharp. The parkade not so much.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 1:41 PM

Amazing how adding that blue strip makes it identifiable from a long distance away. Going westbound Marion where it splits into Goulet, you see it straight ahead. Also walking Lyndale drive in Norwood Flats across the river.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 10:48 PM
surely you agree with me

The tower does look sharp. I wish they had just left the parkade exposed concrete. It is what it is. Pasting doo dads to it doesn’t help. I think the city forced them to do that.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 7:08 PM

Work is underway on a new restaurant in the ground level CRU.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Work is underway on a new restaurant in the ground level CRU.
Is the unit visible from any of the streets? It seems like a tough spot for a restaurant...I pictured more like a dental clinic or chiropractor there.

Good news regardless!

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 8:22 PM

It's directly on Stradbrook facing the station.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
Is the unit visible from any of the streets? It seems like a tough spot for a restaurant...I pictured more like a dental clinic or chiropractor there.

Good news regardless!
Yes it is, along Stradbrook

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 8:25 PM

yes it faces Stradbrook, i assume lots of high rises in the area would patronize. maybe a small deli?

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 2:06 PM

The owners of The Roost, Oxbow, and Forth Bar are opening a pizza and cocktails spot in the retail space

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 4:37 PM

Number 5 Donald right next door has a small deli (name has changed a few times, currently Sips and Nibbles I think) on the main floor right at the rear (north) entrance. Worked in that building for quite a few years and it was definitely popular with the office workers at lunch for soup and sandwiches. Another option in that area will be good.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 7:48 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The owners of The Roost, Oxbow, and Forth Bar are opening a pizza and cocktails spot in the retail space
wow...can we maybe switch it for a pot store on Osborne or Corydon?

that's amazing.

The more I look at this tower the more I like it. Its very sharp.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 10:23 PM

The website is showing the building at already 85% leased, based on lights in evening it's probably right.

I think it bodes very well for proof TOD works, and works well. I'm sure the restaurant will do great just with the building and nearby residents, let alone destination diners and maybe people stopping by before/after a bus trip to or from U of M etc once things open back up. Would like to see more of these in that "East Village" area, like on other Winter Club lots and the old MB Housing ones.

I heard that Covid aside/all things considered, O Station Cafe is doing quite well at Confusion and has a good following, baking and soups are top notch. Staff told me last summer they do get a lot of transit traffic which is good to hear, and that was in a Covid summer.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 11:13 PM

Thanks for all the info guys.

It's nice to see things actually happening around the rapid transit stations--more residents and businesses. I'm looking forward to checking this space out once this pandemic is finally over.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan