HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 4:04 PM

I don't know what's sadder, the games where they looked completely checked out and disinterested and got pounded, or the ones like last night where they looked like they were actually trying and engaged and still lost decisively.

It's weird how the same bunch of players went from solid contending team to circling the drain in like 6 weeks.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 4:51 PM

I think we're seeing the death throws of PoMo's coaching tenure.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 5:10 PM

Thing is for me, I think Jets were punching way above their weight all year. Most people didn't expect them to play as well as they did most of the year, let alone be a lock for a playoff spot (let alone make it).

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Thing is for me, I think Jets were punching way above their weight all year. Most people didn't expect them to play as well as they did most of the year, let alone be a lock for a playoff spot (let alone make it).
that is the normal for this team the past 2 seasons.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 11:02 PM

I think what's happened, besides missing Ehlers, is the Jets play has stayed the same or declined. While the other teams, like Ott and Van, have improved.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 5:08 PM

Time to kick some Oiler butt.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 6:04 PM
What could go wrong?

Contain McDavid...and we control...OUR DESTINY!

....said in a kind of William Wallace type speech tone.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 6:16 PM
Community Guy

Best of luck tonight folks.

I for one cannot wait for this series and believe the Jets will come out swinging.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 4:30 PM

Did all the Jets fans here miss last night's game?

What gives? Still stunned in disbelief?

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 4:55 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I think it's partially due to the way the Jets ended the season. Plus some injuries to key players to start the playoffs.

No one is expecting much, and there isn't a whole lot of playoff hype or energy in the City.

That being said, this series will be closer than most are predicting. If it goes long, advantage Jets IMO.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 5:51 PM

The game was boring as hell, which is exactly what the Jets should be doing.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Did all the Jets fans here miss last night's game?

What gives? Still stunned in disbelief?
Hey, if you’re concerned, tell us what you think about the game.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 6:00 PM
Ignore these four words.

Jets in six!

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 6:34 PM
What could go wrong?

My view of the game - I thought they played a solid defensive 1st (as shown by the shots 6-3 or something like that). The 2nd felt like the Jets were doing everything to get it out of their own end, turn it over in the neutral zone and weather the Oilers attack and repeat. No real offense at all in the 2nd. The 3rd was much the same.

All in all, I felt they played a good game defensively and Hellebuyck played awesome. Too many neutral zone turn overs hurt our offensive game. I'm not sure the success we had last night will be good enough to maintain and win the series but...

Of note of course, is we are missing two of our top six forwards and they should definitely help if they play moving forward. Ehlers is arguably our best player this year. Take 2 of the Oilers top six out (or any team for that matter) and see what happens.

Anyways - Go Jets Go!
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 6:36 PM

Surprised they were able to keep McDavid and Draisaitl contained. Minimal chances for them.

One thing they need to do is shooooot!! Just shoot the puck. Connor trying to make the fancy play to Scheifele on that break. Just shoot the damn puck already. Scheifele is guilty of that as well. Especially in these tight games.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 6:55 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Surprised they were able to keep McDavid and Draisaitl contained. Minimal chances for them.

One thing they need to do is shooooot!! Just shoot the puck. Connor trying to make the fancy play to Scheifele on that break. Just shoot the damn puck already. Scheifele is guilty of that as well. Especially in these tight games.
Yep. At that point, I was standing in front of the tv yelling "just shoot the damn puck!" Both of those guys have great shots, so quit trying to make the fancy play and just give it a go. At the very least, Smith might give up a rebound that either one of them might have a chance to bang in.

If the Jets keep playing the way they did last night, this is going to be a long, tight series. I could see McDavid and Co. breaking out here and there and prying the defense open at times as this could very well be a see-saw series depending on how it goes and honestly, whether Ehlers and PLD make an appearance again. If it is drawn out, I agree- advantage Jets. Especially with our advantage in goaltending.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 7:10 PM

What is the status of Ehlers and Dubois? I thought Ehlers was supposed to be back in time for the playoffs?

This was definitely the most subdued I've ever seen the fans heading into the playoffs. I'm assuming it's a combo of having been there and done that (it's the 4th season in a row the Jets have made the playoffs so at a certain point you start taking it in stride and don't lose your mind over the first round) mixed with a bit of pessimism over the Jets chances this year, mainly due to that late-season losing streak.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 7:29 PM
What could go wrong?

Depending on how you look at it, the Jets have won 3 in a row and 4 of the last 6....don't look past that though.

Snap shots baby!

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 7:35 PM

Maurice said he expects both Ehlers and Dubois back this series, but obviously didn't want to say when. Ehlers was skating in the same no-contact yellow jersey as Copp on Tuesday, so a sign that he's probably close (if it was a red jersey it would be further out).

I think most of this perceived "subdued-ness" of fans is because no one can go anywhere or do anything – where would you be seeing people not subdued right now? I still see tons of people posting on it on social media and lots of windows with Jets logos. Saw many people having dinner on their Waterfront balconies with jerseys on before the game.

It's crazy how much of a difference real fans makes – watching the Jets-Oilers game compared to any of the American series was staggeringly different, even with the artificial noise. Hard to imagine any casual or new fan of the game (especially in the states) being entertained by our game haha.

Also curious to see how the Montreal situation unfolds – I swear the NHL said before they were going to keep things even within divisions (as in either all teams have fans or none) to be as fair as possible. Because they said they were still considering a bubble for the final 4 if needed to avoid that potential one sided advantage in the conference and league finals.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
What is the status of Ehlers and Dubois? I thought Ehlers was supposed to be back in time for the playoffs?

This was definitely the most subdued I've ever seen the fans heading into the playoffs. I'm assuming it's a combo of having been there and done that (it's the 4th season in a row the Jets have made the playoffs so at a certain point you start taking it in stride and don't lose your mind over the first round) mixed with a bit of pessimism over the Jets chances this year, mainly due to that late-season losing streak.
Maurice mum on their status. Both flew to Edmonton. Both practiced in non contact jerseys.

I think lack of fans at the arena, or any sort of outside arena festivities probably has something to do with the lack of enthusiasm. I can't recall exactly if there was anything last season? A small invite only thing at true north square?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan