HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
As much of a skyscraper geek I am, I don't think I'd want to work in one. The tallest I've ever worked in was 25 stories and that was enough.
I could work in a supertall no problem, as high as possible. But I wouldn't want a home in a supertall. I think my max living level would be like 35-40 floors.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 1:03 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
I think the most desireable floor height really depends on the city you're in.. Ideally, IMO, you want to be high enough that the majority of your view isnt blocked, yet low enough that you still have interesting things to look up at; because the awe-inspiring effect that tall buildings often have i think is created when we see something that breaks above the horizon, yet is far enough away that your depth perception starts to get a little fuzzy.

In other words, your "implicit" scale sense gets broken, even if you have "explicit" knowledge of the thing's actual scale (i.e. that the ESB is 440 meters tall). Mountains often have an awe-inspiring effect for the same reason i think, and despite being an avid climber, i often find that pictures taken of mountains from afar are almost more impressive/attractive than pictures taken from their peaks.

so with this logic, the ideal height in Chicago would be about 100-150 meters, ideal in midtown NY would be 250 m, ideal height in Phoenix would be 75 meters, etc. When you get hills involved things get more complicated.. so its feasible that a 2-story house on a (steep) hill in SF could have as good of a view as a 200m building, etc

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 8:59 PM

I wonder what is the exact point where skyscrapers start to become unsustainable and what the main cause of that inefficiency is. I would imagine things like plumbing become much more difficult and costly at a certain height, probably around the height of supertalls. Elevators seem like they would go as high as possible without a problem.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Elevators seem like they would go as high as possible without a problem.
There's a space issue though, the higher the building the more elevators you need to move people from the ground to their destination floor (and back) in a timely manner. And each elevator consumes valuable space on every floor. You can do things like sky lobbies, express elevators or increase the speed of elevators but they all have some engineering challenges or annoyances.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 5:28 AM
Never Dell

Lots of stuff increases on a per-square-foot basis. Starting with the structural frame itself.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 12:55 PM

Elevators can't go indefinitely bc they take up a greater share of the tower's square footage based on the relative height of the tower. A 200-floor tower will have a massive share of the core dedicated to elevator space, bc each floor needs to be serviced in reasonable time. And, in cities with zoning limits, such a tower will likely be incredibly skinny, creating extreme space constraints on the higher floors.

And my understanding is that construction costs soar once you hit 800 ft. or so, and really skyrocket once you get well into supertall territory. Supertalls tend to be vanity projects, unless you have extreme local demand. They might make financial sense in NYC and Hong Kong, and even there, only in a few neighborhoods.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 3:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I find it a bit odd that there aren't more buildings with double-story elevator cars and lobbies (lower car stops at odd number floors while upper car simultaneously stops at even number floors). Plus, it is not hard to stack elevator shafts atop each other with sky lobbies. We wait, stuck in traffic, or anticipating a subway/bus, for many minutes each day. It is not that big a deal to wait for an elevator (although perceptions of time are certainly relative, and time draws out when, for example, you are stuck in an elevator with a colleague that you don't like [uncomfortably staring at the floor numbers in silence, as your car ascends/descends])
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions