HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
How did Nashville become such a capital for bachelorette parties?
Take a step back - when did bachelor/bachelorette parties become such a big deal?

I'll tell you when - around 2007-2008. I used to work as an event photographer and that's when we started seeing the mean-spirited bachelorette parties start taking over bars. Shortly thereafter, and for sure by 2012 when the economy started recovering, we saw the rise of the bachelorette-industrial complex, and the same people who invented "Nashville" hot chicken started peddling the Nashville pedal wagons to attention-starved bachelorettes whose best friend just did a Las Vegas bachelorette party so OMG they had to do something different. Except it's the same.

Similarly, the "destination wedding" didn't exist on anything resembling the current scale pre-social media. Nobody saw your wedding photos in the past. Now you'll see women spread the posting of their wedding photos out over several photo dumps to arouse maximum jealousy.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 1:16 PM

I find it interesting people have so many views about a place they've never been to. Outside of the country music archetype that has type casted the city for decades, Nashville, for the most part is a lot like other southern sun belt cities. Growing population, job growth, fairly liberal in the city, conservative suburbs etc. Nothing unique in that aspect, but of course you have people who base their beliefs on outdated stereotypes without actually visiting for themselves.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Take a step back - when did bachelor/bachelorette parties become such a big deal?

I'll tell you when - around 2007-2008. I used to work as an event photographer and that's when we started seeing the mean-spirited bachelorette parties start taking over bars. Shortly thereafter, and for sure by 2012 when the economy started recovering, we saw the rise of the bachelorette-industrial complex, and the same people who invented "Nashville" hot chicken started peddling the Nashville pedal wagons to attention-starved bachelorettes whose best friend just did a Las Vegas bachelorette party so OMG they had to do something different. Except it's the same.

Similarly, the "destination wedding" didn't exist on anything resembling the current scale pre-social media. Nobody saw your wedding photos in the past. Now you'll see women spread the posting of their wedding photos out over several photo dumps to arouse maximum jealousy.
In all honesty, sounds like you have a complex. I'm not sure about you, but I certainly wouldn't spend my time talking so much about a place that I had disdain for.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 1:29 PM
somewhere in-between

I think Nashville is pretty well-known for Vanderbilt. It's one of the biggest private research universities in the country, with a $10 billion endowment. About 91% of students are from out-of-state.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
I think Nashville is pretty well-known for Vanderbilt.
I don't think most people know where Vanderbilt is located and are surprised to hear that it's in Nashville.

Somebody wrote letters to Cornelius Vanderbilt in the 1870s and persuaded him to establish a university in the decimated South rather than on Staten Island. Cornelius Vanderbilt didn't have much or any connection whatsoever with the tiny city of Nashville.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
In all honesty, sounds like you have a complex. I'm not sure about you, but I certainly wouldn't spend my time talking so much about a place that I had disdain for.
Nashville is a place that deserves heavy criticism. Remember in the 90s when entire stadiums full of people used to sing YMCA because everyone else was singing YMCA without paying attention to the words? The mindless tourism that has descended on Nashville comes from that same sort of heard mindset. The city's lyrics don't matter.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 3:23 PM
Never Dell

I just realized I had no idea where Clemson University is located. So I looked it up. This is despite watching some Clemson football games on the tee vee.

Many universities are like that...anything that doesn't have a location in the name.

Even with location references, anytime Arizona and Arizona State play Washington, I forget which is in Tempe and which is wherever the hell else.

Am I unusual? I bet not. How many people know where Gonzaga is? Or Rutgers? Or Marquette? I mean people who aren't in the same region.

We know about universities outside our regions if we're reading academic journals, or hire their grads, or watch their sports. Even then we might not really make connections to places.

I found out about Vanderbilt on this board.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 3:27 PM
Future God

Quote:
...and the same people who invented "Nashville" hot chicken...
And even still you persist with the BS you just made up even after being told by multiple individuals that you were incorrect about the origin of hot chicken, and given a detailed explanation as to why. You are apparently determined to despise everything about the city whether your supposed qualms are based in reality or not! That is not to say that there aren't things to criticize, of course. I could give you a long list of areas in which it needs to improve. But your grievances you've outlined in this thread seem particularly petty and hyperbolized.

Quote:
Nashville is a place that deserves heavy criticism. Remember in the 90s when entire stadiums full of people used to sing YMCA because everyone else was singing YMCA without paying attention to the words? The mindless tourism that has descended on Nashville comes from that same sort of heard mindset. The city's lyrics don't matter.
Uh huh... OR... maybe, just maybe, they visit because they're attracted to what the city offers and enjoy their experience there? Oh, no, nevermind you're right... if people like a thing you don't it's not a matter of simply having different personal preferences. Clearly it's because they're all delusional!

-Bob Marley

Last edited by BnaBreaker; Jul 19, 2021 at 3:42 PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Heavy criticism based on what exactly? How the city has managed to capitalize on it's country music brand? 20 years ago, no one cared what was going on in Nashville, let along had a reason to visit. As a native of the city, I've seen a lot of changes, not all of them positive but a lot of it was for the better. If you were in Nashville in the 90's like you say, then you'd know it's almost a complete 360, run down inner city neighborhoods(some on par with what you'd find in Memphis), downtown being a vapid wasteland of peep show bars, pawn shops and check cashing places, rapid suburbanization etc. For Nashville, it's almost like you get criticism for wanting to grow, not sure of any other tourist heavy city or any city for that matter that receives such responses, not Las Vegas, Orlando, New Orleans, Charlotte, Austin, Raleigh etc. It's quite baffling.

Last edited by jkc2j; Jul 19, 2021 at 4:59 PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
How did Nashville become such a capital for bachelorette parties?
I would guess the primary reason is Broadway... a multi-block contiguous stretch of live music venues, bars and restaurants. The only other places in the south I can think of that have this are the French Quarter in New Orleans and Beale St in Memphis. New Orleans certainly gets its share of bachelorette parties, but perhaps it pulls more from the "Deep South" instead of the "Industrial South". Beale St is more limited than Broadway in size, and the surrounding city is in worse condition which likely gives Nashville an advantage.

Last edited by LAsam; Jul 19, 2021 at 10:34 PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The idea that Evangelicalism is Protestantism is bizarre to me.

Also, the idea that Protestantism has meccas in the Southern U.S. would make Martin Luther's head spin. Mainline Protestantism has nothing to do with U.S. Evangelicalism, or even the Southern Baptist and Methodist church, as commonly practiced.
That's why mainline Protestantism is considered distinct from evangelical Protestantism.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
"The idea that Evangelicalism is Protestantism is bizarre to me.

Also, the idea that Protestantism has meccas in the Southern U.S. would make Martin Luther's head spin. Mainline Protestantism has nothing to do with U.S. Evangelicalism, or even the Southern Baptist and Methodist church, as commonly practiced."

Not really. Many African-Americans and other Blacks are Pentecostal or Apostolic, which is a form of evangelicalism or closely related to it as conservative and charismatic. And Pentacoastal Protestantism, probably the biggest offshoot, was mostly started in, of all places, Los Angeles, California! I think many of the Oklahoma migrants and Blacks started helped it take root when they left because of the dust bowl.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
And even still you persist with the BS you just made up even after being told by multiple individuals that you were incorrect about the origin of hot chicken, and given a detailed explanation as to why.
No, they didn't offer a detailed or original explanation - instead they repeated the PR that they and scads of others swallowed whole 5-6 years ago when "Nashville" hot chicken was invented. I mean, look at all of the billboards all over town for "Word-Famous Nudie's Honkey-Tonk". My brothers and I were all wondering where this "world-famous" place was (we have lived in Nashville a combined 100+ years) and chuckled when we saw that it's a brand-new hedge fund-funded place on Broadway.

Nashville since 2010 reminds me of the opening scene in Don Dellilo's 1985 novel White Noise [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Noise_(novel)], where busload after busload pulls up to photograph "The most photographed barn in America".

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 1:17 PM

Quote:
No, they didn't offer a detailed or original explanation - instead they repeated the PR that they and scads of others swallowed whole 5-6 years ago when "Nashville" hot chicken was invented. I mean, look at all of the billboards all over town for "Word-Famous Nudie's Honkey-Tonk". My brothers and I were all wondering where this "world-famous" place was (we have lived in Nashville a combined 100+ years) and chuckled when we saw that it's a brand-new hedge fund-funded place on Broadway.

Nashville since 2010 reminds me of the opening scene in Don Dellilo's 1985 novel White Noise [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Noise_(novel)], where busload after busload pulls up to photograph "The most photographed barn in America".
Dude, no amount of fallacious statements will change the truth about hot chicken. To be honest, it says a lot about you if you've lived in Nashville as long as you say and never heard of hot chicken especially since there's a hot chicken festival that's been going on for at least 15 years. That tells me either you didn't get out much or you intentionally avoided any contact with the Black community here. Found a few articles from the Nashville Scene on the hot chicken fest from 2008 when hot chicken was still considered a fringe dish by the mainstream population. Also posted an article from 2003 from the Nashville Scene highlighting best restaurants, one which highlights Wilma Kaye’s hot chicken which has since closed. Heck, I even found an article from 1999 that highlights the band Yo La Tengo mentioning one of their favorite hot chicken spots, the originator, Prince's Hot Chicken. Guess this debunks your theory of hot chicken being "invented" in 2017 lol.

https://www.friendsofshelby.org/hot_chicken_festival

https://www.nashvillescene.com/food_...919642b1a.html

https://www.nashvillescene.com/food_...da4a8d468.html

https://www.nashvillescene.com/news/...fb0a55ea4.html

https://www.nashvillescene.com/arts_...754a9d70b.html

Last edited by jkc2j; Jul 20, 2021 at 2:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
I just realized I had no idea where Clemson University is located. So I looked it up. This is despite watching some Clemson football games on the tee vee.

Many universities are like that...anything that doesn't have a location in the name.

Even with location references, anytime Arizona and Arizona State play Washington, I forget which is in Tempe and which is wherever the hell else.

Am I unusual? I bet not. How many people know where Gonzaga is? Or Rutgers? Or Marquette? I mean people who aren't in the same region.

We know about universities outside our regions if we're reading academic journals, or hire their grads, or watch their sports. Even then we might not really make connections to places.

I found out about Vanderbilt on this board.
Clemson and Rutgers would seem odd to me not knowing, growing up in NYC, seems that everyone on the east coast at least knows Rutgers. I can see the average person not knowing where Gonazaga or Marquette are located.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 2:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
Clemson and Rutgers would seem odd to me not knowing, growing up in NYC, seems that everyone on the east coast at least knows Rutgers. I can see the average person not knowing where Gonazaga or Marquette are located.
If you're a NCAA sports fan, most would know where these schools are.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
Dude, no amount of fallacious statements will change the truth about hot chicken. To be honest, it says a lot about you if you've lived in Nashville as long as you say and never heard of hot chicken especially since there's a hot chicken festival that's been going on for at least 15 years.
I moved out in 2001. What you're linking to above was a very small local food fest, something like Goettafest in Cincinnati: http://www.goettafest.com/. The hot chicken hype machine would have you believe that all Nashvillians from Dickson to Mt. Juliet were eating a local hot chicken all of the time, for decades, when 90% had never heard of it, let alone eaten it.

As someone who grew up in Cincinnati, I can attest that our grade school and high school cafeterias served 3-ways once per week and also periodically cooked goetta. Nashville area school cafeterias weren't serving "Nashville Hot Chicken" to grade schoolers and high schoolers because it wasn't a "Nashville" food in the way that Cincinnati-style chili and goetta most certainly are commonly - weekly - eaten by all locals regardless of class or creed. There are no tourists. Nobody's taking photos of their food.

Skyline Chili has 150 locations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyline_Chili
Gold Star has 85: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Star_Chili

Those are the two biggest chains but there are several smaller chains and independent chili parlors.

Per Google, there are 2 Prince's chicken locations. Hattie B's, which was founded in 2012, has 7. So 250+ locations for one type of regional food that only exists in one region versus...10.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 2:47 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
well of course you would know where Rutgers is located, growing up in NYC only 30 miles away from it.

out here in the midwest, i can see the average person being more familiar with Marquette's location than Rutgers', at least prior to joining the Big 10 back in 2014 when general awareness of Rutgers increased considerably in the midwest.

ditto for Gonzaga out in the PNW.

so outside of the diehard NCAA fans who could tell you the home town of every single significant football and basketball program in the country, most of this is just simple geographic proximity.

everyone in Chicago knows that Notre Dame is located in South Bend, but how many people in Cali would know that? my guess is that almost no one would, outside of big NCAA sports fans.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 20, 2021 at 3:00 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 2:55 PM

I wonder if Rutgers should change its name. It's the oldest non-Ivy League university in the Northeast, the only colonial-era non-Ivy. Originally Queens College (and Columbia was Kings College).

But I don't think the average American, outside the Northeast, can place it, geographically. It could use some extra marketing oomph. Maybe Queens University? Or UNJ?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 2:59 PM

And re. hot chicken, I feel a lot of these regional specialties are successful marketing schemes, rather than organic "local foods".

I visited Nashville a bunch of times around 20 years ago, and hot chicken (and hot fish) was a thing, but really only a few places in black neighborhoods. And it wasn't "Nashville hot chicken" it was just hot chicken.

Similarly, "Detroit-style pizza" is basically marketing. There's been a Buddy's Pizza (and a few competitors) for generations, but no one called the deep-dish pan pizza "Detroit-style pizza" until a few years ago. It was just Buddy's Pizza or pan pizza.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions