HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 12:53 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

100 Bayshore Dr | 90+100m | 27+30f | Approved

Ivanhoe Cambridge and KingSett Capital are proposing two-tower rental apartment development with tenant-serving amenity spaces and above-grade parking levels in a shared low-rise podium.

The subject site, municipally identified as 100 Bayshore Drive, is situated to the west of the existing Bayshore Shopping Centre, north of Highway 417 and the Bayshore Transit Station. The subject site is ideally located to capitalize on the existing and future infrastructure of the transit network.

The site itself is a rough rectangular shape with Woodridge Crescent running along the north boundary of the site and will serve as the site access.

The site itself consists of two property parcels as shown below in the following images. These parcels make up a total area of 6743.4 m2 m2, with 90 m of frontage on Woodridge Crescent.

The proposed development consists of a three-storey parking podium, articulated with design features to enliven the pedestrian level, integrated with Woodridge-facing lobbies for both buildings, amenity space on the fourth floor between the east and west tower, and an outdoor rooftop amenity space on top of the three-storey podium.

The west tower is proposed to be 30 storeys and the east tower will be 27 storeys. The approximate number of units proposed is 500 (West tower: 266, East tower: 234).

Architect: Hobin Architects

Development application:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__BP8R66

Site Plan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 1:04 PM

Very nice, but couldn't they integrate the station entrance in their building? It seems the City and developers are going out of their way to NOT integrate with the transit stations.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Very nice, but couldn't they integrate the station entrance in their building? It seems the City and developers are going out of their way to NOT integrate with the transit stations.
I am sure it is intentional. Unfortunately, Ottawa has had its share of swarmings and other criminal activity around transit stations (including this one) in recent years. I think developers are thinking it's smart to build close to the stations but not have direct connections. This is more of a perceived risk rather than a real one. Interesting proposal nonetheless.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I think they actually have. If you look at the site plan PDF, there is a note near the SE corner of the building indicating "Level 2 direct connection structure to transit station".

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
I think they actually have. If you look at the site plan PDF, there is a note near the SE corner of the building indicating "Level 2 direct connection structure to transit station".
Yep, from the Transportation Impact Assessment:

Quote:
An enclosed pedestrian bridge accessed via the buildings’ podium will provide direct and convenient access by residents to Bayshore Station as well as Bayshore Shopping Centre, both of which are located within a 150 metre walking distance of the site. Given Ottawa’s climate, this pedestrian connection will afford residents the ability to access these amenities efficiently in the winter months with minimal exposure to the elements. A ground-level pedestrian access is also planned to connect to Bayshore Station via the proposed multi-use pathway (MUP) passing along the southern boundary of the site.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
I see it now. A skywalk to the station, similar to the Gloucester Centre proposal.

I guess in my head I would like to see station entrances within the building envelope, similar to what we have downtown. Save some space.

A skywalk is pretty satisfactory though.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 4:04 PM

(delete)

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 5:48 PM

This is amazing! I have been wondering what would be built on that parcel since I was a kid. I have so many thoughts.

First of all it's interesting to see Ivanhoe Cambridge, the owners of the mall, competing with Minto on their own playing field...mind you this will be more upscale than Minto's offerings in the neighbourhood so it won't be direct competition.

I am very happy to see a new Hobin designed project. When I saw the title of the thread I was bracing myself for yet another Roderick Lahey 'random brick generator' project. HOWEVER I am surprised to see that this Hobin design looks quite a bit like RLA's recent work. At least it has some interesting features on the podium. Is that wood trim?

I'm glad the project is a little bit handsome and of a decent scale. When you think of it this will truly be the 'gateway' to Ottawa because it will be the first project of scale when you arrive to Ottawa from Toronto and the US up the 416 to the 417. It's mostly bush and fields up until this point.

It's interesting that because Phase 2 light rail stops at Moodie, people living here and working in High Tech in Kanata would do a reverse transfer...light rail to Moodie than catch a bus.

Very exciting news. I hope it can be open when Phase 2 opens at Bayshore.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 6:27 PM
ハルウララ

So they're doing to Bayshore what's currently happening at Blair, more or less.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
So they're doing to Bayshore what's currently happening at Blair, more or less.
Pretty Much! Bayshore and Gloucester Centre will be kind of the bookends of Ottawa's skyline from a distance since Kanata is behind a hill and Orleans is at the bottom of one.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 7:05 PM

Looks pretty good and I'm glad to see more transit-oriented developments throughout the City. The empty lot next door is also ripe for development, perhaps a phase 2?

Two things;
-Why in the world is EVERYTHING new in Ottawa proposed at 27-30 stories? Is it written in stone somewhere?
-A bit funny how the proposal talks about "providing affordable rental options" but I'm sure when these are built and hit the market they will ask a pretty penny. A 1 bedroom at the Gloucester Center rental is something like $1,600 or $1,800, no?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Looks pretty good and I'm glad to see more transit-oriented developments throughout the City. The empty lot next door is also ripe for development, perhaps a phase 2?

Two things;
-Why in the world is EVERYTHING new in Ottawa proposed at 27-30 stories? Is it written in stone somewhere?
-A bit funny how the proposal talks about "providing affordable rental options" but I'm sure when these are built and hit the market they will ask a pretty penny. A 1 bedroom at the Gloucester Center rental is something like $1,600 or $1,800, no?
I can only harbour a guess because I am not in the industry but I suspect everything seems to be about 27-30 floors due to 2 or 3 variables: Market size and strength (how many units can we expect to sell in given timeframe), appetite with council for approvals (27-30 is an easier approval than 45) and lastly most bang for the buck on the lot size. I think 27-30 is just the sweet spot for this market for these reasons.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 8:38 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
There's an interesting and rather lengthy blog series on the Economics of Skyscraper Height (Part 1 here) . I think Ottawa's economy likely makes 30-storeys an average sweet spot.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Pretty Much! Bayshore and Gloucester Centre will be kind of the bookends of Ottawa's skyline from a distance since Kanata is behind a hill and Orleans is at the bottom of one.
Plus both this and the Blair Station buildings are Hobin designs.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 11:37 PM

These buildings will be a significant upgrade to the entry into Ottawa from the 416. Right now the first glimpse of urban Ottawa is underwhelming to say the least.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 1:41 AM

They will certainly out class anything in the immediate area.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Bayshore owner plans two apartment towers as high as 30 storeys next to west-end mall

David Sali
Ottawa Business Journal
January 15, 2020

The owner of Bayshore Shopping Centre says it wants to build two new apartment highrises next to the west-end mall, a proposal that would add 500 more units to the city’s growing inventory of rental housing located near existing or future light-rail stations.

In a development application recently filed at City Hall, Bayshore owner Ivanhoe Cambridge says it’s partnering with Toronto-based investment fund KingSett Capital on a plan to construct a 27-storey tower with 234 rental suites and a 30-storey highrise with 266 units. Located just west of the 47-year-old shopping centre, the two buildings would be linked by a three-storey podium that would include 210 parking spaces for residents and 50 spots for visitors as well as room for 272 bicycles.

A rendering of Ivanhoe Cambridge and KingSett Capital's proposed new apartment towers next to Bayshore Shopping Centre.

The site plan provides few other details about the development. According to the application, the proposal calls for “an amenity pavilion” located on the fourth floor between the two towers and a rooftop terrace above the podium that will feature trees and other greenery, seating and “flexible social spaces” for tenants. A pedestrian walkway will link the highrises with the future LRT station to the south.

The developers also say they will consider setting aside some of the units for affordable housing, a proposal that “will be looked at further in the development process.”

Currently Ottawa’s second-largest shopping mall, Bayshore attracts nearly eight million visitors a year. The retail hub will become home to an LRT stop as part of phase two of the Confederation Line, a project currently slated for completion in 2025.

“The subject site is ideally located to capitalize on the existing and future infrastructure of the transit network,” the development application says.

An Ivanhoe Cambridge spokesperson told OBJ in an email Wednesday the company will provide more details about the proposal “in the coming months” and plans to host a public open house later in the application process. The developers are seeking amendments to current zoning bylaws that limit buildings on the site to 12 storeys.

The proposed apartment towers are just the latest in a wave of new residential development aimed at diversifying land use near suburban shopping centres and light-rail stations.

Toronto-based RioCan got the ball rolling last year with the first phase of its multi-highrise Frontier apartment development near Blair Station and the Gloucester Centre, a partnership with Halifax-based Killam Apartment REIT.

RioCan is now tearing down the aging Lincoln Fields Shopping Centre on Carling Avenue and replacing it with a mix of retail and commercial buildings near a future light-rail stop, with plans to add residential space in the future.

The firm is also looking at redeveloping a number of its other local retail properties, including Westgate and Elmvale Acres shopping centres, with new retail space and apartment buildings in a bid to find new sources of revenue as more and more consumers abandon local malls in favour of shopping online.

“I think we’re doing a number of things to ensure that we have relevant retail,” RioCan chief executive Jonathan Gitlin told OBJ last year. “One of those is changing the types of tenants that we have in our buildings. Part of it is building mixed-use (developments), where we urbanize, modernize and bring residential (units) to our retail sites.”

Meanwhile, Ottawa-based Trinity Development Group has a number of mixed-use projects located near LRT hubs in its project pipeline, including plans for a trio of highrises with more than 1,000 rental apartment suites near the junction of the Confederation and Trillium Lines at Bayview Station.
https://obj.ca/article/bayshore-owne...-west-end-mall

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 8:11 PM

Quote:

Two things;
People always assume 'new' construction will provide affordable renting options. The new builds are just the opposite, they are the luxury options that a lot of people are *also* looking for.

The Ottawa housing market is like a pressure cooker, when the pressure is high, rent is high across the board. Relieve the pressure by creating more housing, and the rent will stabilize. Lets not kid ourselves, the 'affordable' housing will always be the Minto offerings at Bayshore. There will be less demand for the 'affordable' because everyone who wants the upper scale will go to the new towers. Therefore Minto won't be able to continue to ask for exorbitant rent and continue to be successful in having low vacancies.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 9:02 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
People always assume 'new' construction will provide affordable renting options. The new builds are just the opposite, they are the luxury options that a lot of people are *also* looking for.

The Ottawa housing market is like a pressure cooker, when the pressure is high, rent is high across the board. Relieve the pressure by creating more housing, and the rent will stabilize. Lets not kid ourselves, the 'affordable' housing will always be the Minto offerings at Bayshore. There will be less demand for the 'affordable' because everyone who wants the upper scale will go to the new towers. Therefore Minto won't be able to continue to ask for exorbitant rent and continue to be successful in having low vacancies.
Yep. It's called market filtering; providing supply at high end will "filter down" through this effect and provide supply at the lower end.

It's more important to just get as much built as possible rather than focus on trying to build new "affordable housing".

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
Yep. It's called market filtering; providing supply at high end will "filter down" through this effect and provide supply at the lower end.

It's more important to just get as much built as possible rather than focus on trying to build new "affordable housing".
Agreed. I think that's something that has been missing for a very long time. All new large residential construction was condos for the longest time. Finally new apartment buildings are being built now that the demand/financials make sense.

We have a good stock of 1960's apartments, which should, as they age, become more and more affordable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa