HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 1:41 PM
It's Hammer Time

Offer for Lakeport plant to come today

CHML
4/20/2010
http://www.900chml.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?ID=1220694

A bid to take over the Lakeport plant from Labatt could come as early as today.

Ravinder Minhas, the owner of Minhas Creek Brewing in Calgary, says his group will make an offer today.

He says the location is valuable even though Labatt is removing some of the beer-making equipment from the Burlington Street facility.

Minhas makes the Boxer brand beer.

Meantime, Labatt doesn't believe it deserves all of the criticism that it's been getting.

The brewing giant insists that it has been trying to work with the City of Hamilton to keep the former Lakeport plant in some form of operation.

Labatt notes that it has offered to donate its lease and municipal tax payments through May of 2012 to any new tenant that the city can find for the building, as long as it is not a "direct competitor."

Director of Corporate Affairs Jeff Ryan adds that the lease and tax payments on the Burlington Street facility total 89-thousand dollars per month, placing the value of their offer at 2.1-million dollars if the city can act immediately.

Ryan's insistence that the company will not subsidize a competitor comes one day after Labatt started removing the beer-making equipment from the Hamilton plant.

He also stresses that the decision to close the plant two weeks earlier than expected was made in conjunction with union officials.

The Teamsters union is planning another rally outside of the plant on Wednesday afternoon.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 11:15 AM
It's Hammer Time

Minhas offers $50m for Lakeport
Beer will be flowing in four months if accepted

April 23, 2010
Steve Arnold
http://www.thespec.com/News/Business/article/757107

Labatt has been offered up to $50 million for the beer-making equipment in its now closed Hamilton brewery.

The offer was tabled this week by Calgary-based Minhas Creek Brewing Company, a firm looking for a chance to break into the discount beer business in Ontario.

Company president Ravinder Minhas said if Labatt takes his offer he could have the Hamilton plant and its 143 employees shipping beer again within four months. The price, he added, is based on fair market value for the equipment in the plant.

"That's what we always thought it would be worth," he said in an interview. "We haven't had a response from them, but I suppose they have to run this up the chain first."

Minhas said the Hamilton plant could produce about 14 million cases of beer -- a fraction of the 88.8 million cases sold by The Beer Store in 2008. Labatt reportedly has about 45 per cent of the Ontario market, or 39.6 million cases a year.

"We'd be a minor player, we're tiny compared to Labatt," Minhas said. "In their position you'd think they'd do anything to keep their image from being tarnished to protect the sweet deal they have."

Labatt's image has been bruised in Hamilton since it announced March 30 the Lakeport brewery would be closed and production of its brands moved to London. Despite pleas from local groups to leave its production equipment behind so a craft brewer like Minhas could move in and save local jobs, the company has consistently said it needs the vats and tools at its other breweries.

At the same time, it has offered to give more than $2 million in lease and tax payments to any new occupant of the building, so long as the new tenant is not a brewer.

That has revived cries first raised in 2007 when Lakeport was sold to Labatt -- that the local success story was purchased by the foreign-owned giant for no other reason than to kill a competitor.

MPP Paul Miller repeated that allegation in the Ontario legislature Wednesday and yesterday, asking Consumer Services Minister Sophia Aggelonitis what she intends to do "to protect consumers from Labatt's attempts to establish a monopoly and kill good brewery jobs in Hamilton."

Aggelonitis is MPP for Hamilton Mountain. Miller represents Hamilton East-Stoney Creek.

In the legislature, Miller demanded to know, "Will the minister from Hamilton stand up for the community, under the auspices of her ministry, to protect consumers from Labatt's blatant attacks and (efforts to) stifle any brewery competition?"

Aggelonitis's only response was a personal jab at Miller, accusing him of failing to "lift up and start talking about Hamilton."

In response to the same questions Wednesday, Economic Development Minister Sandra Pupatello said the government's role in a case like this is to create the kind of business environment that will draw companies into Hamilton, not to "run rampant" over private firms.

Hamilton, she added, has suffered more than many communities during the recession and the provincial government is anxious to help in its recovery.

"We are doing everything we can to help Hamilton recover. When we have episodes like this with Labatt ... we want to work with Hamilton," she said. "We believe that if that site can be useful to another manufacturer or another business opportunity in that facility, we want to play a role in helping to facilitate that. And just for the record, that is exactly the role that my ministry is playing."

Labatt previously rejected an offer to take over the Hamilton plant by Rochester-based North American Breweries. It wanted the facility to brew Labatt products exclusively for export to the United States.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 3:02 PM

c'mon labatt, let's see your true colours...

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 8:00 PM
It's Hammer Time

Either way this place won't sit empty for long with Labbat's incentives. It'll either be a beer factory or a solar panel factory.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 10:40 AM
It's Hammer Time

Labatt rejects Minhas Creek Brewing Company offer to purchase the Lakeport Brewery in Hamilton

CALGARY, April 28 /CNW/ -
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../28/c6412.html

With the untimely closure of the Lakeport Hamilton Brewery by Anheuser-Busch InBev Labatt on April 16th, Ravinder and Manjit Minhas, the brother sister team of young entrepreneurs declared their interest in acquiring the Hamilton Brewery, its 143 full time union employees and taking over the lease on the building (approxiately $1,000,000/year).

The Minhas Creek Brewing Company belives this could be a winning scenario for Labatt, Minhas Creek, the employees and their families as well as the City of Hamilton.

As stated in their letter to AB InBev Labatt the Minhas Creek Brewing Co. said that they would be willing to purchase the majority of the brewery assets from Labatt. The offer to purchase did not include the equipment Labatt declared they would be moving to another facility as well as any of the trademarks associated with the Brewery. The Minhas' also stated they would pay fair market value for this equipment and had already budgeted up to $50 million for this expansion.

The Minhas' received a response this week from AB InBev Labatt stating they would not sell any of the equipment and would be using it in their other facilties. From Minhas Creek's experience in the brewing business they simply don't believe it is practical to retrofit this equipment; rather they suspect the vast majority of this brewing equipment will sit in the Hamilton facility and will simply collect dust until it is cut out for scrap metal.

The Minhas Creek Brewing Company is horribly disappointed that Labatt didn't feel it was worth their time to explore any possibility of a deal, expecially considering the impact on the 143 full time employees and their families as well as numerous local suppliers.

Despite the Labatt rejection to making a deal, the Minhas' have decided to pursue the potential of placing a brewery in Hamilton to continue its brewing legacy. Especially after the outpouring support they have recived from the Ontario consumers. A website has been launched at www.BoxerOntarioBrewery.ca or via Facebook at Boxer Ontario Brewery to show the support for the brewery as well the potential to invest in a new brewery.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 11:24 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 2:48 PM

anyone ever had boxer beer? is it any good? Do they only brew discount "buck a beer" products?

It's good to know they are also looking to brew other beers under liscense, ust in case boxer doesn't take off in ontario they will still have a revenue stream.
(if they even make it into ontario)

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 9:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

Green energy companies bypass Hamilton

CHML
6/2/2010
http://www.900chml.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?ID=1236322

It sounds like Hamilton may be out of the running for some proposed green energy jobs.

Two companies involved in research, development and manufacturing of solar panels have indicated they've narrowed their search for a site to the London-Waterloo corridor.

That would leave Hamilton out of the loop.

There had been suggestions the companies may be able to use the former Lakeport plant on Burlington Street.

They are looking to employ as many as 700 people.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 10:20 AM

Boxer beer was named after the breed of dog that supplied it

I picked up a 12 pack of Boxer and it was really nasty. Plus it's canned in Wisconsin. So I prefer to buy a beer made and packed in Ontario.
Even the logo was primative. The crown made me wonder if it was canned by the Bloods or the Crips as it had a 5 point crown. Lookd like a cheap tatoo.
The Keystone light wasn't bad. Sure makes it hard to boycott Labatts as oors is one of the few light alternatives and it is steep.
Bud light is always on sale.
Oh well maybe Ontario will be socially responsible and tell me what I should do. They ruled out the buck a beer to save me from myself.
Thanks
Anyone know why cans are so much more while in other places there is no real big price difference between cans and bottles?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainbiking View Post
Oh well maybe Ontario will be socially responsible and tell me what I should do. They ruled out the buck a beer to save me from myself.
At least the HST is supposed to mean lower prices for beer and liquor in Ontario. Enjoy.

No, wait. The LCBO is going to raise prices to offset any HST savings. Feel safer now?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 1:32 AM

For cheap beers, I like Maclays. It's brewed by Sleeman's in Guelph, but of course, Sleeman's is owned by Sapporo now.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 12:16 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 1:32 PM

Good turn, though it says something when retention is front page news.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 1:20 PM

Press Release:

Labatt Contributes Rent As Bermingham Foundation Solutions Expands Into Former Lakeport Facility

Hamilton Port Authority, Bermingham Foundadtion Solutions and Labatt Breweries of Canada today jointly announced an agreement that will enable Bermingham to expand their facilities and occupy a portion of the former Lakeport Brewery building. Labatt will pay the rent on the property until May 2012 – a contribution valued at approximately $125,000.

"Labatt is pleased that Bermingham is taking advantage of our offer and will be able to use our donation to expand their operations and maintain employment levels in Hamilton," said Labatt spokesperson Jeff Ryan. The Hamilton Port Authority and Bermingham have also made considerable investment commitments totalling over $3 million.

Since last year, Labatt and the Hamilton Port Authority have been actively seeking an appropriate tenant that could take advantage of the offer to cover occupancy costs. The resulting agreement will see a longtime Hamilton company continue its operations on the port lands and continue to round out the expertise in the port.

Bermingham is currently located adjacent to the former Lakeport property at Pier 10. "We are growing steadily and this arrangement will allow us to expand our operations and at the same time remain in Hamilton," said Bermingham CEO Patrick Bermingham. "It was important to us to have an opportunity to grow in our home where our pool of talent lives." Bermingham had previously considered leaving the city as a suitable site was seemingly not available, and this expansion will allow the company to keep more than 170 jobs in Hamilton.

The Hamilton Port Authority business development team had focused considerable time in identifying a new occupant for the building that fit the strategic focus of the port and is grateful for the cooperation shown by Labatt. "Supporting our existing partners and together finding solutions for them to grow within the port is vital to our success," noted HPA president Bruce Wood. The new lease agreement with Bermingham is for a 12-year term.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 10:22 PM

Burlington brewery in talks to take over Lakeport site
(Hamilton Spectator, Meredith Macleod, Mar 12 2014)

Better Bitters Brewing Company, makers of Nickel Brook beer, is in negotiations to take over the space once occupied by Lakeport Brewing.

John Romano, co-founder of Better Bitters, told The Spectator Wednesday that he is moving brewing equipment into another building on Hamilton Port Authority land and is working on a deal with the city and the port authority.

"Nothing is solidified," said Romano. "We're looking seriously at it and it's looking OK."

Hamilton Port Authority spokesperson Larissa Fenn said she would not comment on any negotiations before a lease is finalized.

"I can confirm that we are actively seeking a new tenant for the former brewery at 201 Burlington St.," she wrote in an email.

"Needless to say, we would love to see that building put back to use as a brewery. Not only was it purpose-built for brewing, it is in a great location at the doorstep of the redeveloping west harbour."

Efforts to reach city officials, including Ward 2 Councillor Jason Farr, were not successful Wednesday afternoon. City Hall closed early due to the snowstorm.

Romano says Hamilton would become the company's main production site, but Nickel Brook would maintain its micro-brewery and retail operation in Burlington. Romano says his business needs more space to boost production.

Read it in full here.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 3:52 AM

So what happened to Bermingham? I guess Labatt sold the building to the port authority or else they wouldn't allow nickel brook or anyone to make beer there. I hate nickel brook beer but I hope this happens and that Labatt is pissed off about it. Maybe nickel brook can be the next lakeport and cut into their profits.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 5:08 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
So what happened to Bermingham? I guess Labatt sold the building to the port authority or else they wouldn't allow nickel brook or anyone to make beer there. I hate nickel brook beer but I hope this happens and that Labatt is pissed off about it. Maybe nickel brook can be the next lakeport and cut into their profits.
In the rest of the article it notes Bermingham is in the former Lakeport warehouse, and says nothing about them leaving; the 2011 story says they were expanding into a portion of the site. So I guess if this happens, the brewery would only be using the part that used to be dedicated to brewing.

I haven't tried all of their beers - I liked the maple porter, didn't care for the India pale ale, and the gluten free product horrified my taste buds. But this would be a terrific FU to Labatt.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 2:47 PM

I went to a beer tasting event there last Fall and brought a few home. Their stuff was pretty hoppy but I liked it. Good if you are just chilling with one beer but I wouldn't drink it all night.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 8:27 PM

Quote:
In the rest of the article it notes Bermingham is in the former Lakeport warehouse, and says nothing about them leaving; the 2011 story says they were expanding into a portion of the site. So I guess if this happens, the brewery would only be using the part that used to be dedicated to brewing.
Oops I missed the full article. So much for posting about beer while under the influence of it. It appears Labatt's lease ran out in 2012 so anyone is free to brew beer there. Of course they would have to replace everything as the building was totally gutted.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 9:41 PM

You guys need to get out more for better beer. lol. Nickel Brook makes some very good beer, and it's great news that we're going to have a local craft brewery here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy