HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 4:13 PM

The talk of stability is very nice. As a non die hard hockey fan yet local team fan, it was hard to get attached to a team whose future was always up in the air.

I just might get to a few more games during the regular season as opposed to attending playoff games only.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 1:14 AM
It's Hammer Time

It’s a classic: Bulldogs vs. Marlies at Ivor Wynne

http://www.thespec.com/sports/articl...-at-ivor-wynne

It’s been done six times in the NHL, seven if you include an exhibition game. College hockey has done it at least a dozen times including women’s games. European teams, minor league teams, junior teams, international teams, old-timers’ teams and even a prison team have done it.

Now the Hamilton Bulldogs are taking their turn.

The American Hockey League team is planning to host an outdoor game at Ivor Wynne Stadium on January 21 against the Toronto Marlies.

While there are still a few details to iron out, the team plans to announce the outline of the game at a press conference next Tuesday. The timing of the announcement is important since season ticket packages go out Monday and they include a voucher of some sort for tickets to the 1 p.m. game.

While certainly more commonplace than they used to be, an outdoor game still provides an opportunity for the Bulldogs to get the sort of widespread attention the franchise always wants but rarely receives. Especially with the game being played the same day as a Maple-Leafs-Canadiens matchup on Hockey Night in Canada in Toronto, leaving open the possibility of some accompanying TV coverage.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 12:09 PM

I love this idea. I know I'll be there.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
I love this idea. I know I'll be there.
I am a little worried that this may not work because:

- the novelty of the whole outdoor game concept has worn off in general
- the outdoor game thing has been tried at Ivor Wynne Stadium before
- this is an AHL game

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 7:37 PM

More from that Scott Radley piece:

"Two previous outdoor AHL games met with strong results. A 2010 game in Syracuse drew a league-record crowd of 21,500. A second contest at a football field in Hartford pulled in just over 15,000 for the Connecticut Whale and Providence Bruins earlier this year. However, more than 21,000 tickets had been sold for the game. An intense cold snap mixed with a high wind chill kept many from showing up.

Whether Hamilton can reach those numbers is anyone’s guess. Traditionally this city’s sports fans support events. The last World Junior hockey exhibition game here filled Copps to capacity, for example. And with all the chatter about Hamilton’s place in the pecking order of hockey markets, there may be a move to prove something."

On the other hand, the outdoor precedent at IWS sold just 10,300 tickets, and the recent HECFI audit showed Bulldogs attendance hovering around 4,200 a game, despite budget pricing (average $13.28 during the 2009/2010 season). Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
I am a little worried that this may not work because:

- the novelty of the whole outdoor game concept has worn off in general
- the outdoor game thing has been tried at Ivor Wynne Stadium before
- this is an AHL game
Well... it worked out much better than I had expected. Good work, Bulldogs.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 9:04 PM
It's Hammer Time

Andlauer insists Bulldogs not moving

http://www.thespec.com/sports/bulldo...ogs-not-moving

The owner of the Hamilton Bulldogs says fresh reports out of Quebec that his team will be moving to Laval in the summer of 2013 are nothing more than speculation.

Michael Andlauer says Wednesday’s story by the French-language TV network TVA claiming his team will leave Copps Coliseum and move to a yet-to-be-built arena just a few kilometres from downtown Montreal is simply the latest version of a rumour that’s been floating around for several years now.

“As long as I’m the Bulldogs’ owner, we’re not going anywhere,” he said Wednesday.

While Laval currently has no facility capable of hosting an American Hockey League team, Andlauer says the story stems from the city’s long-standing and well-publicized plans to build a 7,500-seat arena.

If such a facility became reality, the Canadiens’ in-house event management company would absolutely be interested in running the place. A junior team could serve as a cornerstone tenant but the Habs’ farm team would seem to be the more obvious choice.

Three well-connected local hockey insiders say it’s for that reason the chance of a major structural change within the Hamilton organization — or even the team leaving — can’t be completely dismissed. Andlauer’s intent is to keep it here, they all believe. Circumstances may simply force his hand.

The issue stems from the fact that the Dogs’ lease at Copps expires after the 2012-13 season, the same time the franchise’s affiliation agreement with the Habs ends.

If an arena were available in Laval for the 2013-14 season and the Canadiens wanted their farm team closer to home, they could refuse to extend their affiliation with Hamilton, shop for an existing AHL franchise, move it to Quebec and populate its roster with their prospects. This would either force Andlauer to find another NHL team to supply the Bulldogs with players or sell his outfit to the Habs, of which he’s a minority owner.

A third option of operating independently with no NHL connection would almost certainly be prohibitively expensive. Especially considering the challenges this city poses when it comes to selling tickets to offset costs.

Andlauer has explored the possibility of moving before. Burlington was long rumoured as a potential landing spot. He once came close to jettisoning the team to St. John’s. And he went on the record some months ago explaining he had talks with Laval. However, all those discussions took place while Jim Balsillie was manoeuvring to get an NHL team here and were held to find a new home in case he had to vacate Copps quickly.

Beyond Andlauer’s denial, the one significant problem with the Laval idea remains the lack of a building. While there’s been endless talk of creating a suitable arena with help from various levels of government, no construction company has even been hired yet and no work has begun.

The result is nobody really has any idea when an appropriate facility could be ready.

“You tell me a place in Laval that’s ready to host in 2013,” Andlauer said.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 9:09 PM

Well, he does have to try to sell tickets next year in Hamilton, of course he's going to deny it.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 1:10 PM

Well

Seems the NHL situation is helping out the Bulldogs. Already heard lower bowl is almost sold out for Tonights game.
Maybe this will catch on. Maybe open the upper deck?
I am leaning towards a 20 game flex pack at a fair price per game. This year.
I would suggest that the Bulldogs don't gouge and gain the fan base.
Good solid local option over Buffalo or Toronto.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 1:41 PM

Nice. The lower bowl's about 9,000 so that's tremendous.

We should be thankful for what we have, 'cause the NHL ain't coming to town any time soon.

I try to get to 5-6 games a year.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 3:26 PM

I was at the home opener, which had a sold out lower bowl. It's fantastic seeing so many people there, and having a full house really ups the atmosphere.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 6:32 PM

Is the lack of NHL really the reason for such a huge spike in the Bulldogs attendance?

We don't have an NHL team, and it's impossible to get tickets to Leaf games - so that many people are substituting the NHL on TV with AHL at the Copps? I wouldn't have thought it would make THAT much of a difference.

Have the Marlies increased their attendance much this season?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 6:58 PM

Well both the games that have sold out have been vs the Marlies, which are always busier, and I think that a lot of their fans travel. And keep in mind, they've thus far only had one home game.

As for the Marlies' attendance, they've had four home games with an average of 6,084 in attendance (source). Compare that to 5,480 in 2011-12 and 4,694 in 2010-11 (source).

This means they increased sales 16.7% last year, and are on track to increase another 11% this year.

It's hard to tell if it's making a real difference this early in the season.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 8:34 PM

When I lived in Hamilton, I never went to games other than when the Marlies were in town, I think that is the case for a lot of people.

Good to see however with the rise in attendance.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 10:31 PM

Is it making a difference

Hell ya
I did a google search and also checked the Spec sports section over the last couple years. Plus some of the games I attended.
There were games with less than 2000 and some early play-off games not much better.
Yes it is hard and expensive to see the Leafs, but many did. Or I have friends St Catharines way with season tickets to the Sabres.
AHL has had some bad years here but apparently things look different now and hopefully stay that way.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 11:12 PM

Toronto seemed to finally get that the Marlies are a great secondary option to the Leafs with them actually competing for the championship last season. Great to see, and I got to see a few playoff games out here as Abbotsford is about a 35 min drive away from home.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 2:37 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 1:02 AM

Not that it's entirely applicable to the 'Dogs (since they're intermittently televised), but here's an interesting blog entry that considers the "Exhilaration Gap" between watching a sport live and watching it on TV. Offers endless fodder for arguments, but in this telling, hockey comes out on top by a considerable margin.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 1:11 PM
It's Hammer Time

Bulldogs owner could buy Otters

By Scott Radley
http://www.thespec.com/sports/local/...uld-buy-otters

The owner of the Hamilton Bulldogs says he’s interested in acquiring an Ontario Hockey League franchise and helping finance a new arena in which it or the Bulldogs could play.

Bulldogs’ owner Michael Andlauer says he likes the OHL brand and has spoken to league commissioner David Branch about his interest.

“There’s no doubt the league knows I’m desirous of having a team,” he says. “It’s definitely on my radar. It’s all a matter of timing.”

Whether than means now or some time in the future is unclear. That said, Andlauer talked with Erie Otters’ owner Sherry Bassin about his franchise as recently as last week at the OHL Cup.

According to numerous sources, the Otters were the unnamed junior team behind a bid to get a lease with Copps and move here several months ago. As a result, they might still be mobile. However, Andlauer wouldn’t say if the two ever got a far as discussing a price.

“At this point, it’s just talks,” he says.

Bassin says the same thing. Casual conversations, he calls them. No serious proposal was offered. But he adds that at least two possible owners have made inquiries about buying the team. So that means he would sell under the right circumstances?

“The only thing I wouldn’t sell is my dog,” he laughs.

At least one OHL owner says there would be no issue with infringing on other teams’ boundaries if one were to set up shop here. A Hamilton team would be close to Mississauga, Niagara, Guelph, and Kitchener, but that proximity would actually be seen as advantageous rather than detrimental.

That aside, making all the pieces fit might be a little complicated.

First of all, there’s the issue of an arena. Andlauer believes Copps is too big for both the AHL and the OHL. Plus, it’s worn down. A new rink — likely downtown — with somewhere between 6,000 and 10,000 seats would be far better for either level of hockey.

A while back he researched the idea. The 5,800-seat Hershey Centre in Mississauga was built 15 years ago for around $22 million. Meaning $40 million might get you something similar today. Off the top of his head, he throws out the Sir John A Macdonald school site as a possible location. It’s scheduled to be closed within the next few years.

But the chances of the cash-strapped city paying for a facility seems rather unlikely. So he says he’d put up his own money for part of it in a private-public partnership.

“That’s something I would definitely entertain,” he says. “I would put my money in. I wouldn’t put all my money in.”

There’s also the issue of having two teams in the city. Andlauer believes the AHL and OHL might cannibalize each other. They’re in the same price point and could split the audience.

There’s a wrinkle here, though. Andlauer’s new lease and his affiliation deal to be the farm team of the Habs each run for another three years. There is endless speculation that the Canadiens will eventually draw their prospects to a yet-to-be-built arena in Laval leaving Andlauer with an organization but no team.

An OHL team could adopt the Bulldogs’ name and keep hockey in town.

If he bought a team while still owning the AHL team, he says he could possibly have them play nearby for a few years then move them into Hamilton if the baby Habs left town.

Play in Brantford, for example, at the Civic Centre that’s undersized, but might work in the short term.

“I think it’s proven itself in Niagara, so I don’t know why it couldn’t (work there),” he says.

He says his staff could service both teams in the interim.

As for Bassin, who’s been around junior hockey for decades, he’s a little coy when asked whether an OHL team would work in Hamilton.

“There’s a lot of people who think that,” he says.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 2:03 PM

this is great and wildly misinformed:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...lton-1.2782598

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation