HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 4:16 PM
Closed account

2008 Tiger-Cats schedule

Pre-Season
Thu Jun 12 -- Winnipeg @ Hamilton, 7pm
Thu Jun 19 -- Hamilton @ Toronto, 7pm

Regular Season
Thu Jun 26 -- Montreal @ Hamilton, 7pm
Thu Jul 03 -- Hamilton @ Toronto, 7pm
Sat Jul 12 -- Saskatchewan @ Hamilton, 4pm
Thu Jul 17 -- Hamilton @ Calgary, 9pm
Fri Jul 25 -- Edmonton @ Hamilton, 7pm
Thu Jul 31 -- Hamilton @ Montreal, 7pm
Thu Aug 07 -- Toronto @ Hamilton, 7pm
Thu Aug 14 -- Hamilton @ Winnipeg, 8pm
Mon Sep 01 -- Toronto @ Hamilton, 7:30pm
Sat Sep 06 -- BC @ Hamilton, 4pm
Sat Sep 13 -- Hamilton @ Edmonton, 7pm
Fri Sep 19 -- Winnipeg @ Hamilton, 7:30pm
Sat Sep 27 -- Hamilton @ BC, 10pm
Sat Oct 04 -- Montreal @ Hamilton, 4pm
Mon Oct 13 -- Hamilton @ Montreal, 1pm
Sun Oct 19 -- Hamilton @ Saskatchewan, 3pm
Fri Oct 24 -- Calgary @ Hamilton, 7:30pm
Sat Nov 01 -- Hamilton @ Winnipeg, 2pm

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 4:39 PM
Closed account

how about some record predictions?

I say 3-15.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 5:34 PM
Closed account

Hmmm... well I can't guess as of yet. We'll have to wait and see. But with Taffe on board, I'm gonna say 7-11.

I REALLY hope they make Grey Cup this year as I have tickets again (in Montreal this year) and really want the Cats to keep with the tradition of at least 1 Grey Cup per decade!!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 9:41 PM
Hammer'd

I honestly think they won't do so badly this year. I don't think they'll be contenders for the Grey Cup, but they won't completely bomb again this year.

Since I don't know, when was the last Grey Cup win for Hamilton?
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 9:55 PM
It's Hammer Time

^ Party like it's 1999!

The best part was winning the playoffs when Ozzy made a successful 55 yardish kick for a field goal. I remember that so cleary, could hear a pin drop well the ball was in the air and burst into joy with the field goal lol.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 7:35 AM

why is labour day a 7:30 start?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 10:53 AM
It's Hammer Time

Tiger-Cats team up with Bills for cross-border promotions

The Hamilton Spectator
(Mar 25, 2008)

The Queen City and Steeltown are on the verge of forging a new strategic football alliance.

Tiger-Cats owner Bob Young told The Hamilton Spectator's Ken Peters yesterday that his club and the Buffalo Bills are planning joint marketing initiatives this season designed to strengthen each franchise in its own market.

Young said both organizations plan to work together. The Ticats hope to strengthen the Bills in Buffalo in a bid to keep the club's expansion into Toronto under control. In January, the Bills announced plans to play eight games over the next five years at Toronto's Rogers Centre.

Conversely, the Bills want to build interest in football in southern Ontario by helping the Tiger-Cats flourish.

Young said the alliance could include plans to help football fans in each market attend games on both sides of the border. Other possibilities include joint autograph-signing sessions with Ticats and Bills players and airing Tiger-Cats games on Buffalo TV.

Young said the Cats won't be opposed if the Bills continue to play a couple of games in Toronto each season as of way of remaining viable in western New York.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 10:54 AM
It's Hammer Time

Cats and Bills teaming up
Clubs look at joint efforts to promote football in Hamilton and Buffalo

Ken Peters
The Hamilton Spectator
(Mar 25, 2008)

Buffalo is located just over 100 kilometres from Hamilton.

But the two cities' professional football teams have never been closer.

For the first time in the history of both the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and the Buffalo Bills, the two teams are close to a joint marketing partnership to strengthen each other's grasp in their respective markets.

Ticat owner Bob Young said yesterday that while details are still being worked out, both franchises are committed to helping each other survive.

"It's one thing for us to say nice things about each other in the occasional newspaper article. It's something again, for example, to do joint promotions," Young said. "Get, say, (former Bills star quarterback) Jim Kelly and Danny McManus to do autograph signings together.

"The conversations have started and we're both optimistic we can do some interesting things together."

He also raised the possibility that Tiger-Cat games might be aired on Buffalo television for the first time.

The announcement is a bit of an eyebrow-raiser, given that the Tiger-Cats pulled their support from a Bills plan announced in January that will see the NFL club play eight games over the next five seasons at the Rogers Centre in Toronto.

Young said he believes the Canadian Football League will continue to flourish, even with the Bills playing some games in Canada.

"We have finally got off our duff, and instead of sitting back and waiting for the Bills to encroach on our league, we have actually opened a dialogue with the NFL and the Buffalo Bills," the Ticat owner said, adding he sat down and talked with Bills management last month.

Young said there is a huge Buffalo Bills market in southern Ontario that the Bills have not capitalized on. But there is also a huge CFL market in both southern Ontario and northwestern New York that remains untapped, he added.

Young said the Cats-Bills discussion reveals both franchises have much in common.

"The lack of dialogue between the CFL and the NFL generally, and between the Buffalo Bills and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, for the last 50 years is scandalous," he said.

"So we're going to fix that and you will be hearing, over the course of the next six months, some interesting initiatives coming out of that partnership.

"We're both in the same business. And we want to see each other prosper. There is no downside here."

Young said the only downside from the Bills' perspective would be to see another NFL club set up shop in Toronto.

"They want to make sure they are the NFL team of choice for football teams in southern Ontario."

And the Bills seem to be prepared to help the CFL teams in southern Ontario as a way of strengthening their own grip on that market.

Young insisted that the Cats haven't changed their tune.

"My interest isn't in helping them be successful in Toronto," he said. "My interest is seeing them be successful in Buffalo."

Young said that while he "had nothing to announce today," the marketing plan between the two teams would be to encourage fans in each market to attend the other's games.

"You are going to see some initiatives between us and the Bills just because their interest and our interests are aligned. They want to be successful in Buffalo and we want them to be successful in Buffalo. But equally, they want to see football be successful in southern Ontario and that's what our interests are."

Young said Bills football in Toronto is only a problem if the CFL isn't proactive and doesn't try to work with the organization.

"It turns out the guys in Buffalo are really good guys. We see many more opportunities to collaborate. The other people I love are the Bills fans. They are our perfect allies because the Bills fans want the Bills and are desperate for the Bills to be successful in Buffalo."

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 1:53 PM
Closed account

Bravo Bob. I have no use for that group of antique losers running the Argos and Skydome trying to bring the NFL here because they feel the CFL is below them.
Guess what fellas....I wouldn't pay a nickle to watch an NFL game at your stupid dome.
OSKEE WEE WEE
LET'S GO BUFFALO.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 2:45 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
Bravo Bob. I have no use for that group of antique losers running the Argos and Skydome trying to bring the NFL here because they feel the CFL is below them.
Guess what fellas....I wouldn't pay a nickle to watch an NFL game at your stupid dome.
OSKEE WEE WEE
LET'S GO BUFFALO.
Ted Rogers is a d*** who cares about NOTHING other than money. He doesn't care about Toronto History, Canadian History, or the survival of the CFL at all... all he cares about is money money money and it's sickening. Most (sports) owners (or ownership groups) have a crazy love/obsession with the sport the purchase a franchise in and/or the City in which the team falls.

During the Bills/Rogers Centre interview, the group ensured there WOULD be tickets for under $100 each... Ted (Rogers) was laughing in the background holding up two fingers suggesting there would be 2 tix under $100 for sale. What a loser.

MLSE & Rogers are money hungry organizations that do NOTHING for their sports teams. Leafs fans need to wake up and start protesting MLSE and tell them to worry about their HOCKEY TEAM before building condos! (edit: you don't see any Habs/Canadiens condos, and what place are THEY in )

On a brighter side, CFL is returning to Ottawa yet again!!!
Let's just hope it has nothing to do w/ the Gliebermans (sp?) that destroyed the franchise the last 2 times.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 4:27 PM
Closed account

I saw that press conference with the Bills and it was disgusting. The Canadians were the ones acting like stuck-up rich idiots, while the Bills guys were down to earth and well, more Canadian in their approach.
Once I saw that display, and many other stupid comments during that conference, it confirmed my feelings about those guys.
Hey Rogers - your stadium sucks and your phones suck!!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 7:31 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
I saw that press conference with the Bills and it was disgusting. The Canadians were the ones acting like stuck-up rich idiots, while the Bills guys were down to earth and well, more Canadian in their approach.
Once I saw that display, and many other stupid comments during that conference, it confirmed my feelings about those guys.
Hey Rogers - your stadium sucks and your phones suck!!
Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that press conference and was disgusted by their actions. I'm a rogers customer and was almost about to canc my service... then I realized that our mobile service providers down here ALL suck, so I stuck with the lesser of evils.

CFL grants conditional team to Ottawa

The Canadian Press

3/25/2008 3:02:38 PM

OTTAWA - The Canadian Football League is heading back to Ottawa.

CFL commissioner Mark Cohon awarded a conditional expansion franchise Tuesday to an Ottawa-based group headed up by Jeff Hunt, the owner of the Ontario Hockey League's Ottawa 67's.

"This is an exciting time for the CFL and the city of Ottawa," Cohon said. "I am guardedly optimistic and excited at the same time."

This will mark the CFL's third stint in Ottawa. The franchise could begin play as early as 2010.

Hunt's group, which will pay a $7-million expansion fee, must still secure a lease agreement for Frank Clair Stadium at Lansdowne Park, which has been earmarked for development after the southside stands were condemned last fall.

"That (a stadium) is the condition and that is why we're calling this a conditional franchise," Cohon said. "I believe that the job of the CFL and the commissioner . . . is to find the business leaders, to find the community leaders and to find the sports leaders.

"It's now in their capable hands to make sure we bring football back to the nation's capital in a stadium and a facility that the CFL and the fans here deserve."

This marks Hunt's second attempt to land a CFL franchise for Ottawa. Last year, Hunt was part of the Golden Gate Capital group that was regarded as the front-runner among three bids to land a CFL expansion franchise for Ottawa. But Golden Gate was forced to withdraw from the bidding after a prominent group member was diagnosed with intestinal cancer.

While this would be the CFL's third stint in Ottawa, league officials are confident Hunt's group can succeed where others failed. Hunt has done a masterful job of turning the 67's into one of the top junior hockey operations in Canada and has developed a reputation of being a shrewd sports executive. And his partners all have the financial clout to ensure enough money to operate a franchise with a league-mandated $4.05-million salary cap.

The Ottawa Rough Riders enjoyed a long and storied history in the city. Formed in 1876, the franchise captured nine Grey Cups, including three between 1960 and 1970. But the Riders' demise began in the 1990s when it stopped being a community-owned franchise and questionable moves by private owners Bernie Glieberman, then Bruce Firestone and finally Horn Chen resulted in the club folding in 1996.

A new ownership group was granted a CFL franchise for 2002 under the name Renegades, but the CFL was forced to mothball the operation prior to the 2006 season after co-owners Glieberman and Bill Smith walked away from the club rather than cover a projected $6-million operating loss.

The Renegades players were then allocated for a CFL dispersal draft. Quarterback Kerry Joseph was selected first overall by the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Last season, Joseph captured the CFL's outstanding player award (the first Rider to do so since '76) and led Saskatchewan to the Grey Cup title, just the club's third ever and first since '89.

Earlier this month, the Roughriders dealt Joseph and a 2010 third-round draft pick to the Toronto Argonauts for offensive tackle Glenn January, defensive lineman Ronald Flemons, a 2008 first-round pick and 2010 second-round selection.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 4:24 AM
Closed account

if ottawa can't field a good team within 2 years of expansion then you can forget about it being a success...again! ottawans are a little lean on patience [and rightfully so], so the cfl will have to do everything within its power to ensure the team's successful. can you imagine them folding again??

oh ya, i'll guarantee 4 wins for the cats this year. it's in the bag.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 12:28 PM
It's Hammer Time

It's just money to Ticat owner
Young optimistic CFL team will turn the corner financially in three years

March 26, 2008
Ken Peters
The Hamilton Spectator

Bob Young continues to lose significant sums of money on the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, a scenario that will continue for at least another two or three seasons.

But as the ebullient owner approaches Season Five of his five-year plan to restore the franchise to greatness, he remains as committed as ever to the project.

And that commitment and optimism shines through Young, who took his worst public clawing this off-season since taking over the bankrupt Canadian Football League franchise five years ago.

A few thousand of the 17,000 season ticket subscribers were left howling when the club opted to change the pricing structure for premium seats at Ivor Wynne Stadium for the upcoming season. The major price increases have been put in effect, notwithstanding the fact the Tabbies have missed the post-season in five of the past six seasons.

As for the ticket pricing controversy, Young said ticket revenue will be higher to start the season than it has in previous seasons and he expects the club to maintain the same level of season ticket subscribers thanks to a solid southern Ontario economy.

But the owner admits asking loyal subscribers to pay more for a struggling on-field product has proven difficult.

"It's hard on me personally to look these guys in the eye and say, 'despite your 30 years of loyalty, I have to change your ticket prices.' This is not fun for any one of us. To do this isn't fun but it's absolutely necessary."

Young won't say how much he has lost on the team but $10 million over the past four seasons might be a conservative guesstimate.

"I want the focus to be on the football team, not my bank account. But certainly we've lost a lot more money than we should have if we produced a better product on the field."

He admits the financial losses have been disappointing, but projects the club could be just three seasons away from breaking even. The start of an enforced salary management system in 2008 should help turn the battered bottom line.

Young said he had no preconceived ideas about the lack of on-field talent. The fact they finished 9-8-1 in the owner's rookie season after having gone 1-17 just masked the lack of good Canadian talent. Two of the club's best Canadians, Carl Coulter and Rob Hitchcock, were past their prime.

Indeed, Montreal owner Bob Wetenhall was so concerned about the Ticats ability to be competitive that he pitched to the board of governors the idea about holding "an expansion draft for Hamilton for Canadian players" prior to the 2004 season, Young disclosed the other day.

"(He) was convinced that the Hamilton depth of Canadian players was so low that Hamilton just wouldn't be competitive."

But five years later, Young says the organization's stable of young Canadians such as Chris Bauman, Peter Dyakowski, Cedric Gagne-Marcoux, Jordan Rempel, Eric Ince, J.P Bekasiak, Nautyn McKay-Loescher, Ray Mariuz and Jesse Lumsden is a strength. And they'll add to that number with three picks in the top 20 selections of the April Canadian college draft.

Leading them will be Casey Printers, who is arguably the club's most significant free-agent acquisition since Danny McManus signed on prior to the 1998 season. McManus led them to a Grey Cup victory -- their last one -- two seasons later.

"Printers would not have come if he were not convinced that we were committed to going to the Grey Cup," said Young, adding the signing of the star quarterback is "symbolic" of the organization's commitment to a turnaround.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 6:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

TICATS TO HOLD TWO GAMES SOUTH OF THE BORDER

Hamilton, Ontario - On Tuesday, the Tiger-Cats are expected to announce plans to play two games this upcoming season a little further south than Balsam Ave.

The Ticats will be taking the CFL game down the QEW and across the border into Buffalo, New York for one pre-season exhibition game with the Buffalo Bills and one regular season contest against the Montreal Alouettes.

“With the Bills bringing their product on the road to Canada eight times over the next five years, we felt it opened the door for an international exchange of our great games. It’s a unique opportunity for American fans to get a glimpse of good old fashion three-down Canadian Football,” said Ticats Caretaker Bob Young.

In lieu of the annual Black and Gold game during training camp, the Ticats will travel to Ralph Wilson stadium in early June to play a demonstration game against members of the 2008 Buffalo Bills squad during one of their mini camps. It will be the first time the two teams have taken the field against each other in 47 years.

On August 8, 1961 the Tiger-Cats defeated the Buffalo Bills 38-21, in Hamilton. It was the first time ever that a CFL team emerged victorious against a professional team from America, an outcome Ticats team officials feel can be recreated.

“We fully believe we can win this game, but it’s not the final score that truly matters, rather the good spirit between both clubs and both countries,” said Young.

The exhibition contest will feature a mix of NFL and CFL games, with the first half being played following the CFL rulebook and the second half under NFL guidelines.

It will also be the first time a CFL game is played outside of Canada since 1995, during the CFL’s brief U.S. expansion. After winning the Grey Cup in 1995, the Baltimore Stallions moved to Montreal, becoming the Alouettes.

Ticats season ticket holders will receive their tickets to the game, but with a capacity of 80,020, there will be tickets made available as of April 7.

For more information on seat selection, log on to Ticats.ca at 12:00 p.m. today.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 6:28 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 8:30 PM
It's Hammer Time

Ticat Linebacker passes away
CHML
4/14/2008

Shocking news from the Tiger-Cats, they've announced that linebacker Jamacia Jackson has died.

Jackson was found unresponsive at a Sumter, South Carolina home this morning. He was later pronounced dead at a local area hospital.

“Jamacia was a respected and talented member of our team who worked as hard in our community as he did on the field,” said President Scott Mitchell. “Our thoughts and prayers are with Jamacia’s family.”

Head Coach Charlie Taaffe said “Jamacia was a beloved player, teammate and friend,” “He will be truly missed by our entire team. Our sincere condolences are with Jamacia's family and friends.”

No cause of death is known at this time.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 10:46 AM
Closed account

CFL Draft - Ti-Cats Draft 2 Best Players?

Hamilton Tiger-Cats general manager Bob O'Billovich is a happy man. On Wednesday, he got the players he wanted by selecting defensive back Dylan Barker with the first pick in the CFL Canadian Draft, and later using the eighth pick to take explosive receiver Samuel Giguere.

"We like those two players," O'Billovich told TSN. "We thought they were the top two players in the draft. We have to wait on Giguere because of the situation with the NFL, but that's all right. As far as Dylan is concerned, he could be playing for a long time in this leage... He's one of the better athletes at that position I have seen in a long time."

Barker was happy, too.

"I'm absolutely thrilled to be a Ticat," Dylan told TSN. "I think I bring special teams capability right away ... Hopefully we can move on up fromt there."

Barker, a 6-foot-4, 200 pound free safety from Moose Jaw, was a star at the University of Saskatchewan. Barker's college coach, Brian Towriss, lauded Hamilton's choice.

"He's not stranger to big games, so that will help him make the move to the CFL," Towriss said. "There are absolutely no red flags with Dylan Barker."

TSN football analyst Duane Forde said Barker is the total package as a defender and a potential ratio-buster.

"Barker is intelligent, fast, and physical and has back-to-back All-Canadian selections to prove that he knows how to use those tools on the football field," Forde said.

Greg Marshall, currently the head coach for the University of Western Ontario and a former Ticats coach, noted that the multi-dimensional Barker might be a good fit at weakside linebacker, too.

The selection of Barker comes a day after the Ticats traded the ninth overall pick in the draft to the B.C. Lions to get defensive back Markeith Knowlton and kicker Ara Tchobanian.

Knowlton was a regular in the Lions secondary last year, recording 45 tackles, five knockdowns and a fumble recovery as well as two sacks in 17 regular season games.

Hamilton took Giguere, an athletic receiver from Sherbrooke, with the eighth pick to complete the first round.

"This is all about potential," said Forde. "This guy is an incredible physical specimen... This guy is a freak, there is no better way to describe him."

Giguere was the star of the CFL Evaluation Camp and earlier this week signed as an undrafted free agent with the Indianapolis Colts of the NFL. There is no guarantee he will make the Colts, and O'Billovich said he'd be happy to wait for Giguere.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 11:24 AM
It's Hammer Time

Ticats sign new QB

Rick Zamperin
5/14/2008

The Tiger-Cats have signed a new quarterback.

Joining the Cats lair is former Boston College pivot Quinton Porter.

He signed as an undrafted free agent with the Houston Texans, and also spent time with the Carolina Panthers and in NFL Europe.

Porter is expected to compete with Richie Williams and Timmy Chang for Hamilton's 2nd and 3rd string QB spots.

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 12:43 PM
Closed account

Ticats making off-field gains

Despite their troubles on the field, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats say they're making some gains off the field.

President Scott Mitchell says the total number of season tickets purchased are down compared to this time last year, but revenue from ticket sales has increased significantly.

Mitchell says the Cats will have between 15 and 16-thousand season ticket holders this season, comparable to past years.

And he expects the club to record a break-even season on the corporate side.

The revelation came from the Ticats state of the franchise news conference today.

Tiger-Cats training camp begins today with rookies arriving at McMaster University.

Veterans report on Saturday.

Hamilton opens the 2008 regular season on June 26th, at home against the Montreal Alouettes.

http://900chml.com/Channels/Reg/News...spx?ID=1009716

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation