HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 1:40 AM
National Capital Region

1186-1194 Wellington St West | 60m | 16f | Proposed

1184-1196 Wellington Street West was
purchased by Minto (WP) GP Inc. from
519330 Ontario Limited & 2751210
Ontario Inc. for $10,650,000

http://www.juteaujohnsoncomba.com/ne...ober-Sales.pdf

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post

Yeah! Minto!!! I'm sure they'll design an excellent building for this important corner of Wellington West and Parkdale (Rexall and parking at the moment). All that will be left is the Pero-Can to complete the intersection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Here's a rumour from a very reliable source: Costco is looking to relocate their Kanata store to the Cabela/Tanger area. They are having trouble making a deal for land for a gas bar adjacent to the current store so they are considering a completely new build.
That would be a far better location. The current Costco could be torn down for more high-tech offices.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 12:13 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post

Yeah! Minto!!! I'm sure they'll design an excellent building for this important corner of Wellington West and Parkdale (Rexall and parking at the moment). All that will be left is the Pero-Can to complete the intersection.

I think somebody at Juteau Johnson Comba accidentally transposed a couple of digits. Based on the stated cost, it's not 1184-1196 Wellington Street West. It's actually 1186-1194 Wellington Street West, which is the entire north end of the block between Parkdale and Hamilton, south of Wellington. This is a pretty substantial site, encompassing the parking lot, Rexall and the CornerStone Church.

1186 Wellington Street = 10,520 ft²
1188 Wellington Street = 6,495 ft²
1194 Wellington Street = 9,845 ft²
Total = 26,860 ft² x $398 per ft² = pretty close to the stated $10,650,000

Last edited by rocketphish; Mar 3, 2021 at 12:27 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 4:08 PM

1186-1194 Wellington West | 18f | Proposed

1186-1194 Wellington: Zoning By-Law Amendment, Official Plan Amendment + Open House Webinar June 17

Over the coming weeks, an Official Plan Amendment and Zoning By-Law Amendment will be filed, seeking to permit an 18 storey mixed-use building with ground floor retail space fronting Wellington Street West, and a publicly accessible open space at the corner of Parkdale and Wellington Street. The Official Plan Amendment would seek to amend the Wellington Street West Secondary Plan while the Zoning By-law Amendment would address site-specific performance standards, including building height.

The property is located on the southwest corner of the intersection of Parkdale Avenue and Wellington Street West, between Hamilton Avenue North and Parkdale Avenue. The site has a total area of approximately 2,500 square metres and contains an existing 2 storey retail building (Rexall) that will be demolished, as well as the 2 storey Cornerstone House of Refuge and Apostolic Church within the former Elmdale Theatre building. Existing buildings on the site would be demolished; however, the applicant is seeking to retain or replicate the theatre canopy feature at the northwest corner of the site to be integrated into the proposed development.

The proposed development would include approximately 1,172 square metres of ground floor retail space, and 240 dwelling units above. A Privately Owned Public Space (POPS) is proposed for the corner of Wellington and Parkdale. A six-storey podium frames Wellington Street West, with the tower located at the corner of Wellington and Parkdale. All vehicular parking is proposed below grade and accessed from the rear public laneway. A woonerf concept design is proposed for the laneway. Amenity area within the development will include rooftop space atop the podium and interior amenity spaces.

Full details of the application will be available shortly on DevApps.

We are hosting a pre-application open house with the developer, in order for residents to get more information and have the opportunity to ask questions.

Thursday, June 17 at 7:00pm

Please click the link below to join the webinar:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82386030546

Password: 602992

During the open house webinar, the applicant and their team will run through the proposed development in more detail, and we will take questions from those watching. In order to join, you just need to download Zoom and click the link provided. You will then be prompted to use the password, and sign in with your name and e-mail address.

We will be recording the webinar and posted it online afterwards for anyone who is unable to attend on June 17.

Please consider sending us feedback on the proposed development via Jeff.Leiper@ottawa.ca and / or Fiona.Mitchell@ottawa.ca as well as to the lead planner on the file, Steve at Steve.Gauthier@Ottawa.ca.

http://kitchissippiward.ca/content/1...ebinar-june-17

Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 5:23 PM

Wow, this is unexpected. I don't know how I feel about 18-storeys at this location as it's twice the height of the other buildings across from it. Does this intersection allow for Landmark buildings for taller heights? If so, this building would have to look special for 18 floors to be approved.

As long as it's not another RLA building.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 11:08 AM

Based on the one rendering, it looks good. That is not an RLA, Hobin or NEUF.

I think the height and design would be a better fit downtown, but considering the height and bulk of the retirement residence being built across the street, it shouldn't look out of place.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 3:12 PM

Lots of height coming to this area of Parkdale and Wellington, I think this is a good fit for the area. Residents are already complaining about the traffic that this will bring to Parkdale lol. I live on Hinchey and I don't think the traffic can be much worse than what it already is but who cares you're in a city there's traffic everywhere.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotajoe View Post
Lots of height coming to this area of Parkdale and Wellington, I think this is a good fit for the area. Residents are already complaining about the traffic that this will bring to Parkdale lol. I live on Hinchey and I don't think the traffic can be much worse than what it already is but who cares you're in a city there's traffic everywhere.
Trust me, traffic can get a whole lot worse. But worse traffic impacts pedestrians' and cyclists' safety significantly. This site is 591m from Tunney's Pasture Station, so I hope that they propose a small amount of parking spots because surely this counts as TOD. I'm not holding my breath because the City and Developers like to propose too much for TOD.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanarchit View Post
Trust me, traffic can get a whole lot worse. But worse traffic impacts pedestrians' and cyclists' safety significantly. This site is 591m from Tunney's Pasture Station, so I hope that they propose a small amount of parking spots because surely this counts as TOD. I'm not holding my breath because the City and Developers like to propose too much for TOD.
This is like a 5 minute walk to the station, there are bus routes on wellington parkdale, scott and holland, I don't know how much more TOD it needs to be.

Most of the traffic that hits parkdale are quebec drivers and not local traffic. In my opinion island parkway should be getting an upgrade to handle the traffic problem on parkdale. There are lot's of proposals coming to this area and most of them are bigger than this building, hence why I don't think this particular proposal will cause major traffic issues.

But yes I agree if they want to limit the traffic having a small amount of parking access is a good option.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 12:29 PM

Open house will full presentation and design.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Open house will full presentation and design.

Video Link
Admittedly, I really like the design, but I feel it would be more appropriate elsewhere (like closer to Tunney's Pasture, north of Parkdale Market. In the video, someone brought up that no justification was given for why this should be twice the height of the CDP, and the person's response still did not explain that. I take it as they ignored the CDP and thought they could get it at this height.

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Jun 25, 2021 at 2:39 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 6:02 PM

I'm ok with bending the CDP rules at major intersections and with good design.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 6:40 PM

What I don't like is I feel like the CDP was not built with growth in mind and the height limits set across the entire city are much too law in my opinion.

Which means every time a new development is proposed, it has to go to council for special approval as it's above the max allowable height. When every proposal becomes an exception to the rule, means the rule isn't working...

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 7:49 AM

I'm a fan of this proposal. Great design by DIALOG, who have quite the portfolio, including the new library in Calgary, the ICE District in Edmonton, Evergreen Line stations and Vancouver House. I agree it would look better closer to Tunney's or in the downtown core, but don't mind seeing this here.

The podium's scale seems well thought out at 6 floors, with some set-backs like the one storey portion on Hamilton, and the inset balconies. The heritage theatre marquee is a nice touch. Transforming the laneway into a woonerf is an interesting idea, though I wish they would only keep it open to cars between Hamilton and the parking garage entrance, and maintain the loading spots. It would be nice if the half closest to Parkdale would be pedestrian/cyclist only, possibly with a restaurant and patio if that was possible.

The height of the tower is a potential sticking point, but considering we already have buildings 9 to 14 floors nearby and the gateway location, it doesn't seem to out of place. I honestly prefer their approach to the near shear wall of the retirement residence across the street (great job with the first two phases near Rosemount, but it looks like they gave-up with the third phase on Parkdale). Worth noting that the OMB approved an 18 floor monstrosity of a building two blocks north.

An interesting comment was on retail. It seems Rexall is interested in taking over the entire space, but Minto does not want that because they want to break down the offering into at least two stores in order to take advantage of the Parkdale/Wellington West corner entrance and the entrance with the heritage marquee element at the Wellington West/Hamilton corner. In fact, it almost sounds like they don't want Rexall at all in order to have more smaller retailers. Rare are the big developers who would refuse a big chain tenant that offers high rent and long-term stability in favour of smaller locals.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 11:36 PM

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 1:34 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Welldale Limited Partnership is proposing a development that would redevelop and intensify the properties, located at the southwest corner of the Parkdale and Wellington Street West intersection in the heart of Hintonburg, with an 18-storey mixed-use building.

The development lands consist of a land assembly of three contiguous properties. Municipally, they are known as 1186, 1188 and 1194 Wellington Street West. Together, these properties are generally rectangular in shape and span the entirety of the block. The subject property has frontage of approximately 63.5 metres along Wellington Street West, 39.3 metres along Hamilton Avenue North, 35.2 metres along Parkdale Avenue and a total site area of approximately 2,497 square metres.

The proposed development would consist of a six (6) storey podium along Wellington Street West between Hamilton Avenue North and Parkdale Avenue and the tower portion of the development at the northeast corner of the site, directly abutting the intersection. A total of 240 dwelling units are proposed with at-grade retail space abutting Wellington Street West. An underground parking garage is access from the rear laneway and provides 137 vehicular parking spaces as well as 245 bicycle parking spaces. A public plaza is located at the northeast corner of the building and wraps around the entire eastern frontage along Parkdale to the rear laneway. The proposal also pays tribute to the late Elmdale Theatre that once occupied the building located at 1194 Wellington Street West through the building architecture and replication of the theatre canopy at the northwest corner of the proposed building.

Architect: Dialog

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0011/details

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 1:37 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Tower development at Hintonburg node would demolish old Elmdale Theatre building

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Jul 29, 2021 • 3 hours ago • 3 minute read

The property where the old Elmdale Theatre operated in Hintonburg is part of a redevelopment proposal that would build an 18-storey tower where the current zoning restricts projects to a building half that size.

Welldale Limited Partnership, affiliated with Minto Group, has filed its development application with the city after floating plans in the spring. It’s calling for the demolition of the former theatre and neighbouring commercial building to make room for a new complex along Wellington Street West between Hamilton and Parkdale avenues.

It will eventually be up to planning committee and council to decide if the high-profile location warrants a high-rise building that goes beyond what the zoning and official plan allows for the area.

At the same time, it’s unlikely the city would move to save the old theatre, which is now home to a church, especially considering there’s potential for intensifying a main-street property with more homes.

The developer’s plan calls for 240 residential units with the tower positioned near Parkdale Avenue. The six-storey podium, which is also part of the tower design, would be the height for the rest of the complex. Two retail spaces would be on the ground floor along Wellington Street. An underground parking garage would have 137 spaces for vehicles and 245 stacked-parking spaces for bicycles.

The intersection of Wellington Street West and Parkdale Avenue is the “historic centre of Hintonburg and an important corner” that’s appropriate for a high-rise building, the developer’s planning rationale says. There’s already a nine-storey building diagonally across the intersection and a nine-storey retirement residence is under construction at another corner.

The architectural firm, DIALOG, is attempting to replicate the marquee design of the old theatre at the northwest corner of the complex, “paying tribute” to the cinema’s location, the planning rationale says. It would be part of the entrance to a ground-level retail unit.

The theatre is now home to the CornerStone House of Refuge Apostolic Church, which converted the two cinemas into a place for worship in 1994.

The building isn’t protected by heritage designation, but it’s on the city’s heritage register, signalling a cultural significance in Ottawa. Under the city’s rules, landowners who want to demolish buildings listed on the heritage register must give the city a 60-day notice in case the city wants to pursue heritage designation.

The developer hired local heritage consultant MTBA to uncover the history of the Elmdale Theatre, while also confirming that, according to the consultant’s report as part of the planning application, there are no significant impacts to Ottawa’s heritage if the building is demolished.

Still, the heritage consultant recognized the significance of old theatres.

“Despite the modifications to the building over time, (the former Elmdale Theatre) remains significant to the area’s history. The experience of the classic neighbourhood theatre creates a strong sense of nostalgia and memory, resonating strongly in the community, and the broader Ottawa area,” MTBA’s report says.

The theatre opened in September 1947 with 882 seats. One of several renovations under Odeon Theatres, and maybe the most significant, happened in 1981, when the one-screen theatre was divided into two theatres. Cineplex Odeon sold the theatre in 1988 and the theatre went up for sale again in 1991. The church rented the space for about two years before acquiring the building.

It’s not clear what the church’s plans would be when redevelopment of the site begins. The church’s administration couldn’t be reached by phone or email on Thursday.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...eatre-building

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 5:25 PM

Updated plans recently posted on DevApps. This project is also scheduled for discussion at the next upcoming Planning Committee on May 12 and City Council on May 25.

Compared to the initial design, this one seems a bit better. It comes with a slight reduction in height from 18 to 16 storeys and a few adjustments made to the setbacks.

Some newer renderings:

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 5:30 PM

These renders look good, hopefully they hold up

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 6:23 PM

Looks great. It appears they have changed out the brown brick for white paneling, and I like it. Sleek and modern, and you know the cladding and glazing will be top notch because Minto.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa