HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I think I read recently that parking is part of the development agreement with the city (i.e. it as to be free if downtown parking is free on weekends).

Every time I've been there the garage is full to the 3rd or 4th level, many people going to the market, Rideau centre or elgin park there.
Indeed. And many of them would, in good Canadian fashion, go to the ends of the earth looking for someplace else to park if it weren't free.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I think I read recently that parking is part of the development agreement with the city (i.e. it as to be free if downtown parking is free on weekends).

Every time I've been there the garage is full to the 3rd or 4th level, many people going to the market, Rideau centre or elgin park there.
My understanding is that free weekend parking is in exchange for the use of the lanes on Metcalfe and O'Conner.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 8:52 PM

Projecting personal lifestyle choices onto others is the new Ottawa pastime.

That, and expressing offence on behalf of others in a group they don't belong to.

It's called tolerance, dammit, and we'll tolerate the shit out of you if you don't step in line!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
What wasn't the fault of Nicholas Hoare closing because the NCC raised their rent by 73% or something?
Close enough, and that was for the first year of the lease renewal as proposed by the NCC if memory serves...?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
If anything, not enough condos were built in a timely manner to allow the theatre to continue operations.

I'm sure WEP would have drawn some of the hundreds of residents of the Tribeca complex who will be moving in over the next year, as well as Soho Lisgar. Had those projects (and others) gone up 5 years ago, who knows if things would have been different, but it couldn't have made the situation worse!
Agreed on this point in particular.

Further point: I live in Orléans, but have enough other reasons to regularly visit the downtown neighbourhoods as it is that the occasional movie viewing at WEP was a pleasant prospect. Fair Game (the docudrama about Valerie Plame and Joe Wilson), at least one of the Raimi-directed Spider-Man installments, Iron Man 3...and I'd hoped to see The Rocket and Young Triffie (the Mary Walsh murder-comedy film) as well, but for the issue of Can-con movies being habitually pulled in favour of US product too early.

The transitway running past WEP was useful to those goals. The Confederation Line isn't expected to change that if they find a new operator for that cinema.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 2:35 AM

Wink Other movie theatres

Silvia Logan
loga0082
January 14, 2014

I do have a membership card at the Bytowne. I wanted to see Mandela at the Bytowne in the early afternoon on New Year's Day, but it was freezing cold and I did not feel like waiting in the lineup. I do not want to go at 6 or 9 something in the evening. As the weather improves in the spring, I will go more often there. I want to see the Invisible Woman at the Bytowne next month. If the Rainbow repeats Mandela or Lewis, I will go there to see it because Rainbow is so cheap. If Mandela or Lewis come early afternoon in the spring at the Bytowne, then I will go see it. I might want to see Frozen at the Rainbow, since it is coming soon.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation