HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 7:59 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

^^^ Couldn't agree more. Have been cycling around Portland for the past decade, and while there seemed to be a large surge in cycling, improving infrastructure, and more people on bikes, the growth seems to have largely stopped. Although the bridge stats are interesting...

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
^^^ Couldn't agree more. Have been cycling around Portland for the past decade, and while there seemed to be a large surge in cycling, improving infrastructure, and more people on bikes, the growth seems to have largely stopped. Although the bridge stats are interesting...
Ditto. This city has hit the wall. Perhaps the new street fee will help bring back some motivation for bike infrastructure, assuming it goes anywhere.

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 3:00 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
Ditto. This city has hit the wall. Perhaps the new street fee will help bring back some motivation for bike infrastructure, assuming it goes anywhere.
That isn't good news, when I left two years ago the city was moving forward with bicycle infrastructure. Hopefully the bike community in Portland can get that ball rolling again.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 8:40 PM

Article on the BTA blog about protected bike lanes.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 2:27 PM

Are there any updates on the proposed trail for the Sullivan's Gulch / Banfield Freeway cut? That is such a logical place to funnel bike traffic. I currently commute to Downtown via NE Broadway. It's not for the faint of heart...

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scleeb View Post
Are there any updates on the proposed trail for the Sullivan's Gulch / Banfield Freeway cut? That is such a logical place to funnel bike traffic. I currently commute to Downtown via NE Broadway. It's not for the faint of heart...
Broadway is fantastically dangerous. According to the MIT collision map, Broadway is one of the worst routes. I don't know if the Sullivan's gulch is still on the radar. With the improvement of the 20s bikeway across 28th (download the central section), and the new New Seasons at 32nd, I wonder if the city is finally willing to put in a bike lane between 24th and 33rd. It would be a tremendous safety improvement.

I know the BTA has been pulling for a separated cycle track on Broadway for a long time. With this administration it seems unlikely. I would prefer this to a Sullivan's gulch lane, which might be a sort of bike freeway similar to the one in Minneapolis and quite nice, but have little connectivity to businesses etc.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 7:55 AM

The new Orange Line along SE 17th has a lot of bike lanes.

The Orange Line might secretly be Portland’s biggest bike project ever

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehogan View Post
The new Orange Line along SE 17th has a lot of bike lanes.

The Orange Line might secretly be Portland’s biggest bike project ever
Can't wait. This will be an incredible addition to getting to south waterfront. Looking a gift horse in the mouth, I have found a glaring problem with the route up to PSU when I am in so. wa. All of the new bike lanes on Lincoln are fairly useless for one reason: the multi use path straddles the harbor structure and then the streetcar up Harrison. It is necessary to double back when you hit Front if you insist on taking Lincoln. Take a look at the map. It doesn't seem like the planners thought this through very well.

There is a secret staircase near the international school, but it's a pain to use with a bike, quite steep. And I don't care that much. It is an amazing bridge.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 9:16 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

There is also an elevator at South Waterfront, assuming it is functioning.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 10:23 PM

It is working.. it was used on a Pedalpalooza right I was on.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 12:05 AM

NW Everett was restriped with buffered bike lanes over the weekend. More about this project at BikePortland and at the BTA. Same treatment on NW Glisan, please.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 4:06 PM

Yes!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Advocates work to build retailers’ consensus around a big city investment in NE Broadway

Posted by Michael Andersen (News Editor) on August 25th, 2014 at 4:05 pm

More than anything else in central Portland’s bike network, commercial corridors are the missing links.

Hawthorne, Belmont, Division, Mississippi, Alberta, Burnside, Fremont, NW 23rd, NE 28th: the neighborhood commercial districts that grew along Portland’s old streetcar lines have become the jewels in Portland’s crown — streets that make the city worth visiting, living in and caring about. They host a rapidly increasing share of local homes, and the businesses that line them — groceries, hardware, beer, music, shampoo — are the destinations for a huge share of the city’s trips.

But none of them has anything more comfortable to bike in than a door-zone bike lane, and many blocks have narrow, out-of-date sidewalks without much greenery.

This summer, the Bicycle Transportation Alliance has started a quiet campaign that is looking in an unexpected direction to create a better model: Northeast Broadway, from the Broadway Bridge all the way to Hollywood.
...continues at BikePortland.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 3:35 AM

Better block is redesigning SW 3rd downtown this weekend.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 8:17 PM

Quote:
First look: New bike facilities open along MAX Orange Line

It’s less than one year to go until TriMet takes the wraps off the Orange Line, a 7.3 mile extension of the MAX light rail system that will connect downtown Portland to Milwaukie in northern Clackamas County. While the marquee component of the $1.5 billion project, the Tillikum Crossing Bridge, won’t open until next fall, many parts of the new project are already open for business.

Among the $40 million the project will spend on infrastructure for bicycling and walking, is a series of new multi-use paths and bike lanes that will connect the eastern end of the Tilikum Bridge to SE McLoughlin Blvd via new connections on SE Caruthers and SE 17th. While some final details remain, enough of this section is open that I figured it warranted a closer look.
...continues at Bike Portland.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 11:57 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Been riding up and down 17th for awhile now, as I live along it in Sellwood. Nice and wide bike lanes with double line separations, and very low traffic. Its quite a nice street!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 7:36 PM

TL;DR - don't know yet:

Quote:
Portland's Alta Bicycle Share sold. What does it mean for city's delayed bike share launch?

By Joseph Rose | jrose@oregonian.com

Portland-based Alta Bicycle Share has sold off its troubled business. But Portland transportation officials say the deal won't change its much-delayed plans for a $4 million bike-share system, which Alta was hired to run.

Of course, more than a year after bike share was supposed to launch in the city, PBOT is reluctant to discuss where things stand with those plans.

On Tuesday morning, New York real estate giant REQX Ventures and its subsidiary Equinox announced that it had created a new company, BikeShare Holdings LLC, to buy Alta Bicycle Share. The sale was reportedly made in order to save New York's Citi Bike fleet from going under.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 1:43 AM
Karma Police

What is TL;DR?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 2:29 AM

TL;DR means "too long, didn't read". I was using internet speak to say that the article doesn't answer the question posed by the headline, "what does it mean for city's delayed bike share launch?"

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 2:34 AM
Karma Police

Gotcha. Thanks, I hadn't seen that one before.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure