HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Should Canada still see the British Monarch as its own?
Continue to recognize the Monarchy 72 39.13%
Get rid of it 97 52.72%
Split Royal Family to reign Commonwealth members 15 8.15%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 3:15 AM
BANNED

[QUOTE=jmt18325;5733557]
Quote:
the people of Canada serve the Crown

I don't serve any crown and I never will!

As far as I'm concerned the royals can go fuck themselves.. which is exactly what these inbreds have been doing for centuries.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 3:18 AM

To me, it's not only our country's heritage and roots, but it's one of the few things we have that separates us from the United States.

Besides, I don't see how the Monarchy hurts us as a country. I just think it's too much hassle to even try and make a change. There's always going to be more pressing issues in this country.

If the Monarch was a tyrant, I'd be agreeing with severing our ties.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 3:22 AM
Volatile Pacivist

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when if "one of the few things that separate us from the US" isn't even in Canada. Besides, regardless of whatever change is made, we wouldn't need to adopt the same system as the US.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 4:40 AM
I am a typical

Yeah but considering every time health care is debated the only alternative that gets discussed is the American system, chances are if we abolished the monarchy we'd adopt the US Republic model.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 7:19 AM
BANNED

Photos from the Recent Royal Tour that had us all on the edge of our seats!

Members of the Young Monarchist League of Canada greet The Royal Combover.

Our future Dottering Idiot King plays with himself while The Royal Undertaker looks on.

"I say, I can't quite seem to fit these over The Royal Audio Receptors."

"All we do is sign here my Duck-Billed Dahling and decree ourselves to be Instant Canadians" "Like we did in Belize and Tuvalu?" "Yes Dahling, it's that easy"

All photos: http://photogallery.thestar.com/1182285

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 7:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Yeah but considering every time health care is debated the only alternative that gets discussed is the American system, chances are if we abolished the monarchy we'd adopt the US Republic model.
Do you mean to say that there are other countries?

That's just crazy talk!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gibbroni View Post

As far as I'm concerned the royals can go fuck themselves.. which is exactly what these inbreds have been doing for centuries.
What a surprise you're hilariously anti-crown.

We should do like Europe does and cut off their heads, right? The Europe way is the best way to go! Who cares about Canadian history? It isn't Euuurrroooppeee...

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 1:38 PM
The good old days are now

The RRQ/Jeunes Patriotes camp doesn't look too much younger than the monarchists...

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/r...eir-mark#photo

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 2:19 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gibbroni View Post
Well, that's nice and all, but yes, you do. Like so many of the first would countries in Europe, Canada is a constitutional monarchy. That's the way things work here.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Well, that's nice and all, but yes, you do. Like so many of the first would countries in Europe, Canada is a constitutional monarchy. That's the way things work here.
No kidding. God forbid there's ever another conscription, unless he's court marshalled for being an alcoholic he would be serving his Queen and crown.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 6:44 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
To me, it's not only our country's heritage and roots, but it's one of the few things we have that separates us from the United States.

Besides, I don't see how the Monarchy hurts us as a country. I just think it's too much hassle to even try and make a change. There's always going to be more pressing issues in this country.

If the Monarch was a tyrant, I'd be agreeing with severing our ties.
If we have to rely on a queen across an ocean to be different, then we're failures.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 6:54 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
If we have to rely on a queen across an ocean to be different, then we're failures.
Considering we only exist as a country due to having a loyalty to said monarchy across the ocean I don't think that really counts as being failures.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 7:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Considering we only exist as a country due to having a loyalty to said monarchy across the ocean I don't think that really counts as being failures.
If this is true then I am depressed. I would hope that a country's foundations would be stronger than one particular aspect of its constitutional régime.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 7:34 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
She's a non resident....she isn't foreign.
Well then. I suppose it would be just fine if we had a Prime Minister living in Nigeria. As long as he has Canadian citizenship, everything is cool, right?

Quote:
So, then how exactly do we "serve" the royals? I'm pretty sure nothing I've ever done has served them in any way.

Quote:
We exist as a country because what was Canada in 1776 simply didn't want to join the US in rebellion - more likely a case of the situation under the British being comfortable enough vs. an unknown situation with the Americans, than there being any particular loyalty to the British - remember that it was of course a French colony just a few years prior.

(cool story: had it not been for the off-putting behaviour of American Brigadier General David Wooster in Montreal, we likely would be American)

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
We exist as a country because what was Canada in 1776 simply didn't want to join the US in rebellion - more likely a case of the situation under the British being comfortable enough vs. an unknown situation with the Americans, than there being any particular loyalty to the British - remember that it was of course a French colony just a few years prior.

(cool story: had it not been for the off-putting behaviour of American Brigadier General David Wooster in Montreal, we likely would be American)
If it weren't for the crown and our loyalty to the crown, we would have been invaded and annexed as part of the states in 1812. We owe quite a lot to the monarchy and the commonwealth.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 8:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
"History is written by the victors" rings true in Canada to some degree. Canadian history (as presented in English) is often Ontario-centric to the point where it barely makes sense. A lot of Canadians think that the American Revolution was vaguely determined by non-existent Ontario settlers being OK with Britain. The (global) War of 1812 is often presented as if it revolved around Niagara, aside from a field trip to Washington.

One huge factor in the American Revolution was that Atlantic Canada was an easy region for the British to hold onto purely with naval power. Halifax had the largest naval base on the Atlantic coast and a few years earlier it was the launching point for the conquest of Louisbourg and Quebec. It was loyal to Britain because of the economic importance of the base and because most people living there had come recently from the British Isles, whereas many Americans had come over much earlier and were part of minority groups like the Pilgrims. Once the war started up privateering also started up so there was even more of an economic incentive to stay on Britain's side.

It's also important to understand that during that period it was very difficult to travel overland from Quebec or Montreal to the south, and hard to get to Ontario at all. Nova Scotia was effectively in between Quebec and the US (this is why there was so much fighting over areas like Louisbourg and Annapolis Royal -- the conquest of Quebec was just the end of a much longer struggle). Given the small populations and British navy there wouldn't have been a way for American troops to do much in either Nova Scotia or Canada.

By the end of the war a huge number of Loyalists had already migrated north, making it even less likely that those areas would join in on the Revolution. Again that's often presented as being mostly Ontario but it was mostly New Brunswick (which was created as a separate colony for the Loyalists) and to a lesser extent Nova Scotia. I believe Benedict Arnold's former house still exists in Saint John.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 8:57 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
If it weren't for the crown and our loyalty to the crown, we would have been invaded and annexed as part of the states in 1812. We owe quite a lot to the monarchy and the commonwealth.
I'm pretty sure what counts was our loyalty to the UK aka "mother country" and our loyalty to the "crown" was just just a manifestation of that due to it being their system. We can be pretty sure that if they were under some other form of government like a republic, we still would have had very close ties with them as our mother country.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 9:50 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Keep it while QEII is alive, then simply keep things they way they always were, ie governor general appointed by PM, etc, but just deem that the GG is not a representative of the monarchy**, but is the head of state themselves. When a new monarch comes, don't redesign our coins to have say King Charles on the back, nor our $20 bill, in fact I'm ok with the $20 having QEII past her reign, as a symbol of our last monarch.

** I've heard mixed messages about how that would work. Some sides think that parliament simply never has to make a motion to recognize the new monarch and that's that, others aren't sure of the legality.
It definitely is not simple in Canada's case because not only is she head of state for Canada as a whole, but also head of each and every province. So in order to get rid of the monarchy it has to be done simultaneously at the federal level and in each of the provincial legislatures. The chances of that happening is pretty remote.

This also illustrates the complexity of the Canadian Crown, in that although ERII is the head of state for Canada and each province, she is in turn represented by 11 different people (1 Governor General and 10 Lieutenant Governors) so it's equal at the royal level but hierarchical and independent of each other at the vice-regal level. This abstract could never be achieved in a Republic or some other system. In short, to rid ourselves of the monarchy, we would have to completely dissolve Confederation and reconstitute some form of union instantly. The story of Humpty-Dumpty comes to mind.

Last edited by Kitchissippi; Jun 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 10:02 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
I'm unsure of your point. You seem to be claiming:

Because our nation came into existence due to a monarchy's doing hundreds of years ago, it is therefore excellent that this is the thing to grasp onto in order to prove we're different.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 10:09 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Does anyone have a constitutional reference to where the queen and her relationship to the governor general and Canada is written?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada