HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
From the Pier 21 NS Webcams, it looks like this crane might be going up. I think I would have waited until after tomorrow's storm. No mast is visible above the neighboring building yet, so maybe they will just partially assemble it.
Dexel has a Facebook page for this one with regular project updates. Most recent update said the crane will be up by the end of this week, with crews working around the weather. Apparently formwork will be 4-6 months.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 9:34 PM

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 4:17 PM

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 8:12 PM

Looks like some residents in that red brick building are going to lose their views of the harbour. I wonder when the CBC article will appear?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Looks like some residents in that red brick building are going to lose their views of the harbour. I wonder when the CBC article will appear?
Not just views to the harbour, but any view/natural light whatsoever it looks like with the building next being so close.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Not just views to the harbour, but any view/natural light whatsoever it looks like with the building next being so close.
I think that is one part of urban living that quite sucks, but there's no way around it, really - it's all part of the game of living downtown - at any time you can lose your view/light due to adjacent new developments...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I think that is one part of urban living that quite sucks, but there's no way around it, really - it's all part of the game of living downtown - at any time you can lose your view/light due to adjacent new developments...
It's true. Luckily those are rentals IIRC, so it shouldn't be hard to finish the lease and move on. Also a reason I'm hopeful of the Pavillion condos - No chance of the Citadel/public gardens facing condos to lose their views.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It's a rental owned by the same developer (and the two buildings will eventually share a parking structure). And what I hear from the few people I know living in the building, is that hardly anyone lives on that side of the building right now. People were getting pretty fed up with the noise from the Alexander construction, and when Dexel announced they were doing this building it was the straw that broke the camel's back and a whole bunch of people on that side moved out. Once all the construction is settled down, I'm sure they'll have no trouble renting them out again. Part of the cost of living downtown.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
It's true. Luckily those are rentals IIRC, so it shouldn't be hard to finish the lease and move on. Also a reason I'm hopeful of the Pavillion condos - No chance of the Citadel/public gardens facing condos to lose their views.
True. Poor orientation for natural light though. You’d get some afternoon light facing the gardens but close to zero natural direct light facing the hill year round... maybe an hour before sunset in midsummer.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
True. Poor orientation for natural light though. You’d get some afternoon light facing the gardens but close to zero natural direct light facing the hill year round... maybe an hour before sunset in midsummer.
Quite a few of the Pavilion Garden units on the 6th thru 11th floors are angled to the street and facing pretty much south. Those owners will benefit from a ton of natural light.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 4:29 PM

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 9:41 PM

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
It's a rental owned by the same developer (and the two buildings will eventually share a parking structure). And what I hear from the few people I know living in the building, is that hardly anyone lives on that side of the building right now. People were getting pretty fed up with the noise from the Alexander construction, and when Dexel announced they were doing this building it was the straw that broke the camel's back and a whole bunch of people on that side moved out. Once all the construction is settled down, I'm sure they'll have no trouble renting them out again. Part of the cost of living downtown.
That's unfortunate. I lived there for 10 years (2004-2014) on the 8th floor. The couple that manages the building are second to none and the company / developer are pretty great too compared to just about any other group in HRM. We ended up leaving partly due to the impending construction headaches in the immediate vicinity plus they don't allow cats (and we were intending to adopt a couple).

I'm looking forward to seeing how it all pans out once the construction mess calms down in future years.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 9:20 PM

Can the admins switch this one to U/C?

20180315_160924 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 3:47 PM

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 7:01 PM

Excavation is complete on this one. Now whenever my toddler and I walk by she says, "Bye diggers!" Luckily the crane is still there for entertainment value.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 11:35 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Excavation is complete on this one. Now whenever my toddler and I walk by she says, "Bye diggers!" Luckily the crane is still there for entertainment value.
Haha! Cute.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 4:14 PM

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneye77 View Post
That's unfortunate. I lived there for 10 years (2004-2014) on the 8th floor. The couple that manages the building are second to none and the company / developer are pretty great too compared to just about any other group in HRM. We ended up leaving partly due to the impending construction headaches in the immediate vicinity plus they don't allow cats (and we were intending to adopt a couple).

I'm looking forward to seeing how it all pans out once the construction mess calms down in future years.
I had been a resident of Waterford Suites for more than 12 years on the 8th floor looking over the new Flynn Flats being constructed. I put a deposit for the Alexander so waiting for the construction to be completed. I absolutely hated living under such a large crane (and the construction noise didn't help) so moved out a couple of months ago, put my stuff into storage and doing some travelling.

I'm not one of those that's against new construction or large buildings going up in cities. As a matter of fact, I love architecture and larger cities and have travelled extensively to experience those things around the world. Having said this, they never should have allowed the Flynn building to be built in that particular lot, so close to the Waterford. They should have allowed some upscale townhouses or something similar to reflect what was standing there prior to the tear down. I don't think this building will work very well for the area, wrong building for wrong lot. There are too many lots or spaces that could have been developed before this particular location, which would have made more sense.

I love Halifax and have enjoyed living here for 35 years but I believe the city has to be very careful how they develop the waterfront area. Spacing is extremely important for such an area and I believe that they are beginning to let certain developments go up that could be a negative for what I consider to be one of the most beautiful waterfronts in the world. The Queens development is another example, I believe that will change the waterfront for worse, not for better. Just my humble opinion.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 9:39 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth