HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 12:52 PM

Looks like something is going forward at this site. Only 29 units.

http://www.philarising.com/29-unit-l...-rodin-museum/

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 1:44 PM
BANNED

The idea of an underground park here is ludicrous. I can't believe anyone is still seriously entertaining that idea. These proponents can go hang out in the SEPTA concourse under Broad Street if they need an underground public space to walk around in, and then maybe they'll see all the issues you'd have with maintaining such a space.

Build over it or re-use it for transit.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 3:15 PM

^^^^ What they said!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndifferentiatEd View Post
The idea of an underground park here is ludicrous. I can't believe anyone is still seriously entertaining that idea. These proponents can go hang out in the SEPTA concourse under Broad Street if they need an underground public space to walk around in, and then maybe they'll see all the issues you'd have with maintaining such a space.

Build over it or re-use it for transit.
Are you actually familiar with the space? I'm guessing not.

If you can't picture a successful park here you lack imagination. Instead we get a "private garden."

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 3:47 PM

A pocket park right there? Maybe. A linear park through the City Branch that is mostly underground? Not so much.

(by phillytrax on Flickr)

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 5:19 PM
Future World Dictator

It's also quite literally across the street from the local police precinct, which would surely have some deterring effect on crime. (Though that precinct is, I believe, going to move to the new police HQ on Broad Street when it's completed, so this is all a completely moot discussion regardless.)

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 5:47 PM

How about a subway from the art Museum that feeds into the BSL?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
How about a subway from the art Museum that feeds into the BSL?
That would be great!. It's financially probably not feasible but certainly makes more sense than taking people doing fitness or leisure activities off of the landscaped Parkway and putting them underground.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 6:17 PM
BANNED

I have been down there. I maintain that it makes no sense to develop an underground "park" which would essentially just be a subterranean pedestrian walkway connecting nothing with nothing, without even the benefit of transit stations to bring in some foot traffic. The thing mirrors surface streets as well, so its not like its offering any kind of direct walking route. You're really going to walk in a tunnel underground instead of the surface streets then? Because its totally redundant.

Unless its raining I guess, but down there it really doesn't make a difference. The tunnel was never properly waterproofed or anything.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndifferentiatEd View Post
I have been down there. I maintain that it makes no sense to develop an underground "park" which would essentially just be a subterranean pedestrian walkway connecting nothing with nothing, without even the benefit of transit stations to bring in some foot traffic. The thing mirrors surface streets as well, so its not like its offering any kind of direct walking route. You're really going to walk in a tunnel underground instead of the surface streets then? Because its totally redundant.

Unless its raining I guess, but down there it really doesn't make a difference. The tunnel was never properly waterproofed or anything.
People act as if we can adequately maintain and improve the parks we have. Just because it's possible to turn this into some sort of park doesn't mean it's needed or will be maintained properly. Let's take care of the stuff we have and focus on extending the rail park north of Chinatown. At least that viaduct will offer views

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
People act as if we can adequately maintain and improve the parks we have. Just because it's possible to turn this into some sort of park doesn't mean it's needed or will be maintained properly. Let's take care of the stuff we have and focus on extending the rail park north of Chinatown. At least that viaduct will offer views
Which parks do you think are not maintained properly?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 10:04 PM

I'd love to see "the cut" re-purposed for BRT or light rail in the future. Agree that an underground park isn't a good idea. I think it's unlikely to be well-used and crime could be an issue. There is already a ton of outdoor space right there - it's on the Parkway.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 10:07 PM

Penn's Landing Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Is there any news on Penn's Landing Park?
The project is funded. PennDOT is in design on the cap. I believe they intend to start public outreach in the fall. I think we're still looking at construction starting with in +/- 2 yrs which in the scheme of projects of this magnitude is pretty darn soon.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 10:49 PM

The rail tunnel really seems like it could be a great site for light rail or BRT, although I doubt it will happen anytime soon. The linear subterranean park idea is crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Which parks do you think are not maintained properly?
Its hard to miss the issues at pretty much any park, except the center city ones. Whether it is insufficient trash pick up, not frequent enough mowing, cracked asphalt, deferred maintenance on structures or bigger projects like park redesigns, improved landscaping, lighting, etc. Rec centers are also a major issue with many in abject condition. Then there is also the issue of almost non-existent law enforcement patrols in the parks which is either a PD issue or a parks and rec issue, I'm not sure. I don't have the stats on me but the city devotes a pitiful amount to parks and recreation per capita.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
The rail tunnel really seems like it could be a great site for light rail or BRT, although I doubt it will happen anytime soon. The linear subterranean park idea is crazy!

Its hard to miss the issues at pretty much any park, except the center city ones. Whether it is insufficient trash pick up, not frequent enough mowing, cracked asphalt, deferred maintenance on structures or bigger projects like park redesigns, improved landscaping, lighting, etc. Rec centers are also a major issue with many in abject condition. Then there is also the issue of almost non-existent law enforcement patrols in the parks which is either a PD issue or a parks and rec issue, I'm not sure. I don't have the stats on me but the city devotes a pitiful amount to parks and recreation per capita.
thank you. A walking path 20 feet below grade level isnt a "park". Life will go on in philly if this rail cut isnt converted into a trail that people are afraid to use after dark. Can we just focus on extending the rail park we have already?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Are you actually familiar with the space? I'm guessing not.

If you can't picture a successful park here you lack imagination. Instead we get a "private garden."
You honestly don't need a lot of imagination to imagine a cool park in the rail cut. A lot of handsome stone down there, could be a very cool vibe and pretty unique. But just because you can do something, does not mean you should.

This is not an area of the city in need of more green space. There is so much underutilized green space around here. There are giant sports fields and eakins oval and largely wasted open green space scattered with public art everywhere. Even the very design of the parkway creates tons of unused public space with those giant overgrown medians separating the completely unnecessary extra four lanes from the interior 6 lanes. That's not even mentioning all the well utilized excellent green space with paine park and the Schuylkill river trail.

The combined width of the two big medians and the 4 completely unnecessary extra 4 lanes is way wider than the rail cut. Wouldn't it make a million times more sense to spend any money you would on the rail cut park to make the public space that we already have in spades in the area more appealing and better utilized? At the same time considering something like a rail cut would be incredibly expensive to create from scratch today, doesn't it make sense to take the rail cut we already have and use it for the actual purpose it was designed for and put a type of public transit down there?

If this was an area well served by mass transit that was in desperate need of public green space, then by all means, I'd love the idea of an underground park here. But there is no better use for the rail cut than mass transit and there are plenty of better places to spend money improving already existing green spaces in the area.

It looks like this building has really tried to become invisible behind the rodin museum. That's less interesting than creating a great work of architecture to deserve to stand behind the rodin, but it's acceptable. The rail cut space should be preserved for future mass transit, but I could care less about the rail park. Go ahead and build it.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 3:04 AM

It drives me crazy that the rail cut still isnt used for public transit. They could never afford to dig this today, so why not? If rail is too expensive, just drive buses. I remember SEPTA said there was "no demand" for transit there, but I'm sure people would move along the line

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post

That answers my question. I don't think there needs to be a park here or that it is particularly easy to create a good one here or that this is the best use of this space. But any park that was at this location would be maintained in the same manner as Center City parks. Meaning it would be well-maintained.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 6:43 PM

To replace the Hotel Proposal at Race and 2nd street...

https://www.inquirer.com/news/old-ci...-20190813.html

I think it blows.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 6:44 PM

Developer subs mid-rise apartment proposal for condo-and-hotel-tower plan at Old City corner

Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/news/old-ci...-20190813.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development