HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 5:19 PM
National Capital Region

2023 Transportation Master Plan

City website
https://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/publi...er-plan-update

Scope of Work
https://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/view...&fileid=592951

Federation of Community Associations is planning a workshop on November 30, 2019
http://fca-fac.ca/2019/11/workshop-a...r-plan-nov-30/

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Aug 19, 2020 at 10:36 AM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 4:46 PM

Maybe put this here. Seems like a good spot.

I posted this on the Canadian Transit Thread this morning. If all goes according to the City's plan, whether of not we agree with all of it, we could have 85 kilometers of rail and 56 stations by 2030. Ottawa was far behind other cities, but we could catch up within only 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Ottawa O-Train. In red and green are the existing and Stage 2 lines (2001-2025), totaling 64 kilometers and 41 stations.

In orange (Barrhaven, 10 km and 7 stations) and purple (Kanata, 11 km, 8 stations) are Stage 3. If all goes according to plan, the entire network as currently invisioned should be completed by 2030, assuming a non-stop building phase. The network would total 85 kilometers and 56 stations.

https://www.otrainfans.ca/forum/topi...s#comment-1674

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 5:42 PM
BANNED

Ideally, the Kanata extension would start by 2024, just as Stage 2 construction started before Stage 1 opened

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 6:38 PM

Can we see the proposals under consideration? Updated map to TMP 2022 anywhere?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 7:58 PM

Problems with the Confederation Line aside, this has worked out well. The Barrhaven and Kanata extensions are in blue ridings, the party that tends to be skeptical on transit investment. Will be much easier to push the mayor's demand that the province and feds fund 100% of this extension.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Problems with the Confederation Line aside, this has worked out well. The Barrhaven and Kanata extensions are in blue ridings, the party that tends to be skeptical on transit investment. Will be much easier to push the mayor's demand that the province and feds fund 100% of this extension.
No, it won't. There is not now, and never will be, any appetite on the part of the senior orders of government to fund any transit project with a municipal share of 0%, in any city in the country.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
No, it won't. There is not now, and never will be, any appetite on the part of the senior orders of government to fund any transit project with a municipal share of 0%, in any city in the country.
Except for various projects in the GTHA, right?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCheetos View Post
Well, they are the economic engine of the country, while Ottawa is sucking central (taxes)

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:00 PM

I have a feeling transit funding is going to be a big part of the next Ontario election.

One of the Ontario Liberal leadership candidates is advocating free transit fares, which i'm not a fan of.

More realistic would be a reversal of the PC gas tax move, itself a reversal of the former Liberal government's expansion of gas tax revenues, and possibly a move on tolling Toronto highways as Tory wanted. This would allow the municipalities to 'raise' their 1/3rd share more easily.

I'm betting TMP 2022 has no major changes, just including the updated stage 3 plans and more pedestrian and cycling facilities, plus some light BRT improvements along baseline and carling. That said, with the new 25 year planning window, there could be some interesting long-term conceptual links. The existing plan goes to 2031. The new one extends the horizon to 2046. The Conroy-Lees Hospital link, the Hunt Club-Walkley-Innes connector and associated south orleans BRT link were already on the last plan. I expect the Fallowfield bridge will get firmed up along with the leitrim and earl armstrong realignments. We may also see what the NCC has planned in terms of new parkways or interprovincial bridges.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Which ones there are being funded with 0% local financing?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Eglinton, Finch, the Ontario Line, Hurontario, and Hamilton are all fully funded by the provincial government through Metrolinx if I'm not mistaken. At various levels of approval and construction, of course.

Last edited by OCCheetos; Nov 13, 2019 at 4:12 AM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 8:56 PM

Quote:
All the GO projects with the exception of Union Station redevelopment. This includes the $10+ billion GO electrification plan. All the LRT lines being built in the GTA are to be owned, funded and operated by Metrolinx. The deal that Ottawa got was horrendous.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 9:00 PM

The city can continue to grow; there just need to be tighter constraints on the form that growth takes, starting with the basics of street layout, transportation hierarchy, and especially land use regulation. It's not just intensification of existing areas; new ones have to be built having shattered the post-war orthodoxy into tiny pieces.

So far, we still ain't doing much of that.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 3:50 PM

The TMP is about more than just trains, but anyway, here's Stage 3

Stage 3 purple from Light-Rail-Transit-Project_Tech-Briefing_20190222_EN by Richard Akerman, on Flickr

The links are
https://ottawa.ca/kanataLRT
and
https://ottawa.ca/barrhavenLRT

The Prince of Wales situation is up in the air. Refurb plans for pedestrians and cyclists, but whether it will ever carry rail again is not clear.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakerman View Post
The TMP is about more than just trains, but anyway, here's Stage 3

Stage 3 purple from Light-Rail-Transit-Project_Tech-Briefing_20190222_EN by Richard Akerman, on Flickr
Interesting that the map still seems to show the Baseline BRT but doesn't show the Kanata North BRT that is in the current TMP.

I was taking a bus from Kanata North this afternoon and it took 3 light cycles to turn from Carling onto March Rd.

Bus lanes or a median BRT along March Rd (from Teron to Solandt or Terry Fox) and transit priority on Teron Rd would provide a lot of benefit.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Interesting that the map still seems to show the Baseline BRT but doesn't show the Kanata North BRT that is in the current TMP.

I was taking a bus from Kanata North this afternoon and it took 3 light cycles to turn from Carling onto March Rd.

Bus lanes or a median BRT along March Rd (from Teron to Solandt or Terry Fox) and transit priority on Teron Rd would provide a lot of benefit.
I'd guess it's because Baseline has a completed study and is just waiting on funding.

The Cumberland Transitway isn't on that map either, and neither is the Western half of the Baseline BRT.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 12:38 AM

Well, this is good to see.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWLine View Post
Well, this is good to see.
FYI, this is fan-made by rakerman, and hasn't been put-out by the City

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
FYI, this is fan-made by rakerman, and hasn't been put-out by the City
That particular map was published by the city during the Stage 2 technical briefing back in February I believe.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:16 PM

Quote:
That particular map was published by the city during the Stage 2 technical briefing back in February I believe.
Ahh, you're right - my bad

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation