HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 5:01 PM

Not a thrilling design, but not terrible, either.

Someone get on the diagram, stat!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 7:34 PM

The FAA stuck their noses into this. They knocked this tower down to 752'. This is bad news for future proposals in LIC, setting a precedent for future supertall proposals to be shortened.

https://skyscrapercenter.com/buildin...ew-tower/23586

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...87361358&row=7

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 11:26 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
The FAA stuck their noses into this. They knocked this tower down to 752'. This is bad news for future proposals in LIC, setting a precedent for future supertall proposals to be shortened.

https://skyscrapercenter.com/buildin...ew-tower/23586

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...87361358&row=7
I don't think it's what will happen. We have seen this is Miami, same scenario and they wind up getting taller. The developer will have to request a study to be done along with negotiating for the height. Happens all the time in Miami, and it shouldn't be a challenge to get it in LIC.

But in my speculation, I wouldn't see this as the final height or a cap for all of LIC.

I have seen this same rubbish occur for Miami towers, and they all wind up being very close to the original height or what the developer wants.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 11:29 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

From the study: https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/WebBlobServlet (PDF)

Quote:
The structure considered under this study lies in proximity to an airport and occupants may be subjected to
noise from aircraft operating to and from the airport.

This determination expires on 03/16/2018 unless:

Page 2 of 8
(a) the construction is started (not necessarily completed) and FAA Form 7460-2, Notice of Actual
Construction or Alteration, is received by this office.
(b) extended, revised, or terminated by the issuing office.
(c) the construction is subject to the licensing authority of the Federal Communications Commission
(FCC) and an application for a construction permit has been filed, as required by the FCC, within
6 months of the date of this determination. In such case, the determination expires on the date
prescribed by the FCC for completion of construction, or the date the FCC denies the application
More info...

Quote:
This determination becomes final on October 26, 2016 unless a petition is timely filed. In which case, this
determination will not become final pending disposition of the petition. Interested parties will be notified of the
grant of any review. For any questions regarding your petition, please contact Airspace Regulations & ATC
Procedures Group via telephone -- 202-267-8783 - or facsimile 202-267-9328.

This determination is based, in part, on the foregoing description which includes specific coordinates, heights,
frequency(ies) and power. Any changes in coordinates, heights, and frequencies or use of greater power will
void this determination. Any future construction or alteration, including increase to heights, power, or the
addition of other transmitters, requires separate notice to the FAA.
This determination does include temporary construction equipment such as cranes, derricks, etc., which may be
used during actual construction of the structure. However, this equipment shall not exceed the overall heights as
indicated above. Equipment which has a height greater than the studied structure requires separate notice to the
FAA.
This determination concerns the effect of this structure on the safe and efficient use of navigable airspace
by aircraft and does not relieve the sponsor of compliance responsibilities relating to any law, ordinance, or
regulation of any Federal, State, or local government body.
Any failure or malfunction that lasts more than thirty (30) minutes and affects a top light or flashing obstruction
light, regardless of its position, should be reported immediately to (877) 487-6867 so a Notice to Airmen
(NOTAM) can be issued. As soon as the normal operation is restored, notify the same number.

So I'd imagine they would of filed one.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 3:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Good overview of the area via drone...

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 12:29 AM
World Machine

^^^ Great vid which shows how much progress as been made and how much opportunity there is for further development.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 7:55 PM

Long Island City to Get a New Tallest Building
Quote:
As founding member Alan Goldstein retires from the architectural practice Goldstein Hill & West, the New York-based firm has launched a new website, donning a 'Hill West' nameplate. And just as the company undergoes a big transition, more details have emerged about one of their largest projects. Under the management of developer United Construction & Development Group, Court Square City View Tower is set to become the tallest building in the Queens neighbourhood of Long Island City.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 6:31 PM
New Yorker for life

http://sunnysidepost.com/nolan-claim...ers-point-site

January 24, By Hannah Wulkan

Quote:
.....More recently, Nolan also voiced her apprehension over the upcoming clock tower development in Court Square.

“I do not support a height of seventy stories for any building in Long Island City and will continue to press for whatever changes are necessary to keep some sense of scale,” Nolan said in December about the clock tower development purchased by the Durst Organization.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I don't think it's what will happen. We have seen this is Miami, same scenario and they wind up getting taller. The developer will have to request a study to be done along with negotiating for the height. Happens all the time in Miami, and it shouldn't be a challenge to get it in LIC.

But in my speculation, I wouldn't see this as the final height or a cap for all of LIC.

I have seen this same rubbish occur for Miami towers, and they all wind up being very close to the original height or what the developer wants.
It's too bad the current administration doesn't look at modifying Title 14, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 77... Come now rich Real Estate development professionals, use your contacts to get a favorable change for us skyscraper and urban planning nerds.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 1:02 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

NYDOB

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 1:05 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
It's too bad the current administration doesn't look at modifying Title 14, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 77... Come now rich Real Estate development professionals, use your contacts to get a favorable change for us skyscraper and urban planning nerds.
I agree. If he wants to make America Great Again, start by making our cities Great Again. And by great, I mean balls off the wall great.

Height limits should go away. The FAA's stranglehold on towers should be limited. I can understand airports, but c'mon, this is LIC. Places like JC as well. They reduce heights like if Stevie Wonder was flying the plane. There's a time to be cautious, and a time where its just absurd. Safety is one thing, but have some restraint in the height determinations when factoring in safety. 1000 feet in LIC will not pose an imminent hazard.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 12:43 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I agree. If he wants to make America Great Again, start by making our cities Great Again. And by great, I mean balls off the wall great.

Height limits should go away. The FAA's stranglehold on towers should be limited. I can understand airports, but c'mon, this is LIC. Places like JC as well. They reduce heights like if Stevie Wonder was flying the plane. There's a time to be cautious, and a time where its just absurd. Safety is one thing, but have some restraint in the height determinations when factoring in safety. 1000 feet in LIC will not pose an imminent hazard.
Well said Chris, well said.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 12:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Can't wait to see this tower rising here..

Kevin Shields

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 7:21 PM

That is an amazing angle of everything happening in LIC. Can't wait either to see this elegant baby rise.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 5:03 AM

Thats an awesome shot. Its crazy, the NY area will have/ already does have 5 distinct skylines. Midtown, Downtown, LIC, Downtown Brooklyn, and JC. It's crazy. The rivers are gonna feel like canyons.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 2:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleu1117 View Post
Thats an awesome shot. Its crazy, the NY area will have/ already does have 5 distinct skylines. Midtown, Downtown, LIC, Downtown Brooklyn, and JC. It's crazy. The rivers are gonna feel like canyons.
It really has more than that, but those are the obvious skylines close to and in Manhattan, giving it a towers on all sides feel.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 11:38 PM
New Yorker for life

762 FT

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 9:58 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I checked the DOB for this project, and no height change as of yet indicated.

For 02/17/2017, states the same thing:

Quote:
Occupancy Classification: B - BUSINESS Yes No
Construction Classification: I-B: 2 HOUR PROTECTED - NON-COMBUST Yes No
Multiple Dwelling Classification: HAEA
Building Height (ft.): 937
Building Stories: 78
Dwelling Units: 702

[...]

NSTALL FENCE APPLICATION IN-CONJUNCTION WITH NB#420655954. NO CHANGE OF
Work on Floor(s): OSP
No new filing yet.

Although someone complained:

Quote:
Re: THERE IS AN EXPIRED FENCE PERMIT AROUND A BUILDING CONSTRUCTION SITE. PLEASE INVESTGIATE

Complaint at: 23-15 44 DRIVE BIN: 4005166 Borough: QUEENS ZIP: 11101
Result:

Quote:
Last Inspection: 03/01/2017 - - BY BADGE # 2756
Disposition: 03/02/2017 - I2 - NO VIOLATION WARRANTED FOR COMPLAINT AT TIME OF INSPECTION
Comments: CONSTRUCTION FENCE PERMIT IS ACTIVE AND POSTED. PERMIT # 421435888-01-EQ FN EXPIRES ON 02/23/2018. NO ACTION NECESSARY AT THIS TIME.
I do hope there is an appeal to the FAA. Reduction in height means less profit, means less maximum usage of this sites potential. LIC is booming. The demand needs to eat.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 12:04 AM
New Yorker for life

^ That height figure hasn't been revised in the actual NB permit (they'll get to it), but the height numbers are in the submitted drawings above.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Good overview of the area via drone...

Video Link
Yeah! You can see my home within the first 10 seconds!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture