HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabien View Post
I was checking on a property value on SNB and noticed something that surprised me: there are more than a dozen parcels of land totalling several thousand acres adjacent to/surrounding the LNG terminal and Mispec Beach - all of which recently sold on the same date - Dec.20, 2019 and all with the same sale price of $6,409,200. Does anyone know why this amount of land would be purchased (presumably by IOL). It stretches many kilometres mostly to the north/northeast of the terminal. It seems extreme if the intention is simply to retain a buffer, especially considering there are still many homes scattered through the area amongst the parcels in question. Would it be for some future expansion or simply a massive buffer zone?
Mystery solved :

https://www.magnaterraminerals.com/p...nly/id/4436706

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Mystery not solved.

This development is entirely unrelated to the Canaport/Mispec purchase,

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 12:04 PM

The land purchase extends well inland. This map from SNB shows a large tract of land along Millican Lake as part of the purchase

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 2:11 PM

Another acquisition I never noticed: Vacant lot at 225-227 Union (Waterloo/Union area) was purchased for just $14K last week, adding to 221 Union and 8-10 Waterloo which sold in September 2019 for $3.4M- does anyone know who bought? Only one vacant lot is left on this corner now: 233 Union.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Another acquisition I never noticed: Vacant lot at 225-227 Union (Waterloo/Union area) was purchased for just $14K last week, adding to 221 Union and 8-10 Waterloo which sold in September 2019 for $3.4M- does anyone know who bought? Only one vacant lot is left on this corner now: 233 Union.
I thought Irving Oil was building a park?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 7:12 PM

Ethos Ridge proposal Millidgeville - 125 units for seniors

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 7:17 PM
ハルウララ

Decent enough looking infill to me. Four storeys is a little taller than I was expecting.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
I thought Irving Oil was building a park?
Irving Oil did buy those lots according to the property database. I had also heard talk of a park on the corner well over a year ago but I haven't heard anything about it recently.

Side note: I had to start a new forum account, this is the former "kwajo" that some of you may have seen post before

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 2:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
Irving Oil did buy those lots according to the property database. I had also heard talk of a park on the corner well over a year ago but I haven't heard anything about it recently.

Side note: I had to start a new forum account, this is the former "kwajo" that some of you may have seen post before
Welcome back!

What happened? Did SSP accidentally suspend your account???

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 8:48 PM

CBC commentariat on the Ethos Ridge development thinks it's going to be a traffic nightmare with constant ambulance traffic (???) and should be replaced with affordable housing or canceled. You ever want to get depressed about Maritime development, marinate in the median CBC article's replies.

They did a little puff piece on a restoration project I did and the commenters were pissed that I charge market rate (for something I own), said 'something didn't add up' about me restoring the property (I guess STEP mortgages are suspicious), and bemoaned out of town developers (I live upstairs and have been an Uptown resident my whole life, and my family's been here since the Revolution).

What a pit of misery.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 9:03 PM

Rule 1 for online life: Never read the comments section.

Or at least never read them unless you have a tough skin and/or lots to "drink" to enjoy it.

I swear most of the posters are stuck in an endless depressing cycle where change is automatically bad and anything not agreeing with them is a bot or tool of Da Man.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 11:47 PM

Quote:
CBC commentariat on the Ethos Ridge development thinks it's going to be a traffic nightmare with constant ambulance traffic (???) and should be replaced with affordable housing or canceled. You ever want to get depressed about Maritime development, marinate in the median CBC article's replies.

They did a little puff piece on a restoration project I did and the commenters were pissed that I charge market rate (for something I own), said 'something didn't add up' about me restoring the property (I guess STEP mortgages are suspicious), and bemoaned out of town developers (I live upstairs and have been an Uptown resident my whole life, and my family's been here since the Revolution).

What a pit of misery.
People rallied against the Irving HQ - an eyesore parking lot replaced by a beautiful building bringing in millions in tax revenue. Same people that complain in other articles that Irving doesn’t pay enough taxes. People will complain about anything and everything because they are not self aware and blame others for their failures in life. You just can’t give them attention or oxygen and move on.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 12:41 AM
ハルウララ

Next person that mentions reading CBC or FB comments is getting banned.

They're a waste of time and energy, and although this forum isn't much better at times they should still be completely forgotten.

The ambulance and traffic complaint is default NIMBY for any development. It happens.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Next person that mentions reading CBC or FB comments is getting banned.

They're a waste of time and energy, and although this forum isn't much better at times they should still be completely forgotten.

The ambulance and traffic complaint is default NIMBY for any development. It happens.
My all time favourite SJ NIMBY argument was a Millidgeville resident at public hearing for the Seabird developments 2 buildings on Millidge Ave - he said that because of the flat roofs they will eventually leak (I think he said in 25 years) and the owner will then put on a peaked truss roof so it doesn’t happen again thereby increasing the height of building.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
My all time favourite SJ NIMBY argument was a Millidgeville resident at public hearing for the Seabird developments 2 buildings on Millidge Ave - he said that because of the flat roofs they will eventually leak (I think he said in 25 years) and the owner will then put on a peaked truss roof so it doesn’t happen again thereby increasing the height of building.
My favourite was the argument about the 3 new stores at corner of University and Millidge Ave (probably we are talking about the same), that it will increase the traffic and high risk of accident at the corner bus stop.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 12:51 PM

My all time favourite is the Irving building creating a wind tunnel by itself.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 7:39 PM

Quote:
My all time favourite is the Irving building creating a wind tunnel by itself.
The director of the Loyalist House sent in an objection to The Wellington because it would create a wind tunnel damaging the siding (despite the existence of a 19 story building in its back yard). They also indicated it would block the sun despite that not being possible being on the north side of the street. So yea it’s frustrating.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 7:45 PM

La Calabria now reaching 4 out of 4 stories on right. Notice how long this building is

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Welcome back!

What happened? Did SSP accidentally suspend your account???
My old email address I was using with my SSP account got locked out so I could not access my login after someone trigged a reset to my password. Not ideal, but an excuse to start fresh I guess

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 10:17 PM

The Wentworth curtain installation started

[IMG][/IMG]

On another note, we finally beat Moncton at something U-haul released their migration trends (not an exact indicator of population growth but a good gauge of it) and Saint John is number 25 in Canada as a top destination for uhaul one way drop offs (only NB city to make list). The only other Atlantic Canada city to make list is Charlottetown at number 23. If I read stats right, 52% of all uhaul one way trips end up in Saint John. It just confirms what I’ve been seeing. One weekend uptown it seemed every other street had a uhaul unloading. If you drive uptown there are tons of cars with Ontario plates. Driving anywhere in city seems like every 10th car has a Ontario plate. The housing market is so tight too - very few properties available compared to before.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces