HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 5:31 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Wpg: Chief Peguis Trail Extension

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 5:32 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

March 29, 2007 | The Herald

The City has begun tip-toeing towards extending Chief Peguis Trail to Lagimodiere Boulevard and other major capital projects in the area.

The City’s 2007 preliminary capital budget, released Jan. 12, pegged planning to begin on Chief Peguis Trail this year with major construction set to start in 2008 and end in the autumn of 2009.

The bridge connecting Henderson Highway with Main Street was completed 16 years ago as the first phase of a route designated in a 1960s transportation study that would provide an inner-beltway to move traffic across the city. Currently, Springfield Road carries 16,000 cars a day, far more than it was designed to do said ward Coun. Jeff Browaty.

“Other streets nearby like McIvor and McLeod take far more traffic than they are designed to because there is no east-west route,” he said.
Winnipeg Fire and Paramedic Services applauds the decision after they’ve expressed their concerns to the City about receiving higher call volumes in an area littered with speed-bumps and crammed streets.

Deputy chief Ken Sim said the service is currently comparing travel times to historical records and are looking for ways “that make life less challenging for us.”

“Any improvement to (using Springfield Road) we would support because as you know that’s a fairly heavily travelled street and it means us having to oftentimes not take the most direct route,” he said.

But the green light was given to other major capital projects as well. The budget includes funding to the Disraeli Freeway rehabilitation project, a $91-million venture to improve the degrading roadway.

And Coun. Browaty also said the City’s planning property and development department set money aside for trail development, including the Marconi Trail, which a local grassroots group has been designing for months. The group presented its plan to the East Kildonan-Transcona community committee on Jan. 15.

“We’re very excited,” Sigrun Bailey, co-chair of the River East Neighbourhood Network Trail Committee said.

“It’s very good news for North Kildonan,” Coun. Browaty added.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 6:24 PM
Closed account

The RFP for detailed design and construction administration closes Apr. 4 and calls for construction to start in the spring of 2008 and the road to be open in 2009. 'Tis keeping a few lucky ones quite busy in the office right now getting a bid ready.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 6:26 PM
Canadian Urbanite

This couldn't have gone in one of the other 800 threads?!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 9:59 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Hmmm, I wonder who made that Google image? Nah, just kidding.

Anyways, it is definitely much needed. Springfield was NOT originally intended to hold that much traffic. The expressway is needed, and can cut down time by like 5 minutes at peak times, and make the intersection of Rothesay and Springfield potentially less dangerous than what it should be, because as I've said before, traffic is a nightmare at times.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Maybe we should just start a new thread for every development in Regina

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 10:35 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Tee Hee

Well, who knows. Maybe this might be a sign that Manitoba will get it's own forum after all.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 12:38 AM
Density and complexity

There's no proven benefit to building fancy new roads. Traffic levels don't neccicitate it, and once the novelty factor has died off, the city will bear the huge cost of maintaining it.

Build the economy first, roads later.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
There's no proven benefit to building fancy new roads. Traffic levels don't neccicitate it, and once the novelty factor has died off, the city will bear the huge cost of maintaining it.

Build the economy first, roads later.
I'm sure if the city transportation engineers have decided a road is needed, then that means the road is needed. Cities don't typically build infrastructure for pure "novelty factor"

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 1:08 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
I'm sure if the city transportation engineers have decided a road is needed, then that means the road is needed. Cities don't typically build infrastructure for pure "novelty factor"
I agree that roadway expansion is needed in that area. It is also part of a long term strategy to build the north part of an inner express loop.

North .. Chief Peguis (incomplete)
West .. Route 90
South .. Bishop Grandin
East .. Lagamodiere

Once this inner loop is completed it will fulfill the needs as outlined in a former traffic study, with consultaion of the transportation industry. ie: the shorter time to transport goods the more efficent city business con operate.

I am just glad to see this roadway expand. Also look for an interchange at Lag .. at a future date.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 3:34 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

What's the dollar amount being set aside for new construction? I think I heard something like 30+ million.

That seems a little on the cheap side doesn't it?

I'm also curious what will happen when the road crosses Springfield, Molson, and then meets Hwy 59. Will there be over passes or at grade crossings? In the case of Hwy 59 will there be a cloverleaf or some other kind of interchange?

I know Rothesay is supposed to become an overpass.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 4:17 PM
Closed account

Roughly $38 million. It will be partially depressed, pass under Rothesay and include new intersections at Henderson, Gateway and Lag. Also, active transportation to be incorporated.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 4:30 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I agree that roadway expansion is needed in that area. It is also part of a long term strategy to build the north part of an inner express loop.

North .. Chief Peguis (incomplete)
West .. Route 90
South .. Bishop Grandin
East .. Lagamodiere

Once this inner loop is completed it will fulfill the needs as outlined in a former traffic study, with consultaion of the transportation industry. ie: the shorter time to transport goods the more efficent city business con operate.

I am just glad to see this roadway expand. Also look for an interchange at Lag .. at a future date.

Are you sure that this will be an "expressway" with interchanges? I thought Winnipeg was an anti-expressway city?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 5:14 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengshui View Post
Roughly $38 million. It will be partially depressed, pass under Rothesay and include new intersections at Henderson, Gateway and Lag. Also, active transportation to be incorporated.
Ohh no not another light on hwy 59!! Stop murdering what's left of a fine expressway.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 5:23 PM
Closed account

Likely the Springfield and new Chief Peguis intersections will be configured so that no new lights are required.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 5:24 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Trying hard to imagine how that would work..

Ohh my brain hurts.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 5:27 PM
Closed account

It will be a challenge for the engineers.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 5:28 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Fengshui, your pretty knowledgeable on the subject..

Tell me, is there really enough room along the banks of Sun Valley lake for an expressway?

I drive by the site all the time and figure that it's going to be a pretty tight fit between the highway and the backyard of some of those homes.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 6:05 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Fengshui, your pretty knowledgeable on the subject..

Tell me, is there really enough room along the banks of Sun Valley lake for an expressway?

I drive by the site all the time and figure that it's going to be a pretty tight fit between the highway and the backyard of some of those homes.
The largest amount of room for the whole project has been set aside by the lake. Where it will be tightest is the portion from Rothesay to Gateway.

I can't believe they are planning for lights at Gateway/Raleigh. How expensive can it be to build a simple "diamond" style over/underpass?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 6:18 PM
Closed account

Biff is right. It's very tight between Rothesay and Raleigh - espically because the City wants divided parkway with separate ped/cycling paths similar in design to the Charleswood Parkway.

It's good they are looking at Springfield/Lag intersection though. Highest collision rate in the City in 2002, and consistently in the top 10 worst intersections for collisions. Some type of relocation/partial closure of the intersection is probable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan