HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 2:47 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I'm waiting for someone to propose something really excellent and modern for the 'hood, like this. (Or even just the brick podium of that.)
If contemporary means modern then most modern buildings aren't obtrusive. I am not sure why a building that is so obtrusive as the one that you posted the link to should be considered to be contemporary.

I think the Bloomfield building is contemporary; it is a modern design but not obtrusively so. I especially like the perspective below (source: http://www.halifax.ca/planning/docum...rspectives.pdf )

Last edited by fenwick16; Feb 6, 2013 at 3:35 AM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
If contemporary means modern then most modern buildings aren't obtrusive. I am not sure why a building that is so obtrusive as the one that you posted the link to should be considered to be contemporary.

I think the Bloomfield building is contemporary; it is a modern design but not obtrusively so.
Yeah, you could definitely argue that the top of it is. The bottom podium level is really solid though. I love that kind of simple, stark, but warm contemporary design. (The Vic has it, largely thanks to the brick at street level.)

I really like this, for example, in Toronto, but only the first five floors. The tower is bland, but the bottom, simple though it is, is really well proportioned and, most importantly, not cheap-looking.

As far as what Someone123 said about getting 50 of these things in the North End, I haven't compiled a list, but tallying up all the proposals, there's got to be five or six now, and a bunch of smaller townhouse projects. Another one seems to come along every few months. (Of course, none of the larger ones have yet been built, so...).

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 3:41 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
I really like this, for example, in Toronto, but only the first five floors. The tower is bland, but the bottom, simple though it is, is really well proportioned and, most importantly, not cheap-looking.
Yes, I agree that is contemporary and appealing, in my opinion.

PS: I just noticed the building across the street from your posted link - 25 The Esplanade - http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=toronto...,0,-12.05&z=20 . That is the sort of design that I would like to see in Halifax. I like the arches and triangular shape. Here is a Wikipedia link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/25_The_Esplanade . Even though I live close to Toronto, I tend to take the architecture for granted. Buildings just seem to pop up overnight with hardly anyone even noticing (or at least that is my impression).

Last edited by fenwick16; Feb 6, 2013 at 4:38 AM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 4:34 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I don't know what it cost to build that podium but my guess is that it's a lot easier to justify higher quality ground floor materials when you have more floors above -- yet another reason why it doesn't always make sense to ask for less height.

It would be interesting to create a rendering of the North End with all of these new buildings. My guess is that there are maybe 15-20 buildings that were either built during the past 5-7 years or are proposed/under construction. Keep in mind that Gladstone Ridge for example has 3 major buildings, then along Barrington Street there are several (like Spice), then there are a few around the Hydrostone Market. Gottingen has the Theatre Lofts and 5505 Falkland. There are quite a lot when you think about it.

One nice proposal from a few years ago was the McCully Worklofts. The website is still up: http://mccullyworklofts.ca

It was considered a tough sell (as specialized work/live units) back in 2007 or whenever it was proposed and I think a 5 year lease was signed for the property that was going to be developed. I wonder if it might someday still be built.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 9:09 PM

First reading for this is on Monday (July 22nd, 2013) night! If all goes well the public hearing will likely be in September and final approval will be in November/December.

Case 18254 – LUB Amendment and Development Agreement – 2776-2778 Gottingen Street, Halifax

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 9:15 PM

The community comments in that document are leagues better than they tend to be for developments in the South End. Even the criticisms are productive (lacklustre architecture, etc), but not condos-are-killing-the-community hysteria.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 9:52 PM

Quote:
The community comments in that document are leagues better than they tend to be for developments in the South End. Even the criticisms are productive (lacklustre architecture, etc), but not condos-are-killing-the-community hysteria.
I agree, these comments weren't too bad. I think the remarks of Fred Connors kinda hit the nail on the head - where another development went through with ease because it was well designed.

It makes me wonder whether the design review process, if a clear expectation and process was setup, should apply outside of the HbD area? I wonder if the changes to the Regional Centre would include this? I would hope - because if you think about some of the area's in Dartmouth that could see intensification, I'd hope that they would be treated to higher level of quality design than something 'cheap'.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 1:59 AM

I think an effective design-review is a no-brainer for an area this central.

I'm cheered at least by the fact that there have been some really good designs proposed. This isn't bad, just not amazing. And the current generation of designs is vastly better than what was going up 5-10 years ago. (Some years from now, when it's getting difficult to find development sites in the neighbourhood that aren't already occupied, it might be nice to see spots like 5505 Falkland redeveloped. I know that building is brand new, but it's also SHIT.)

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 10:11 PM

REMINDER!!

Public Hearing for this project is on Wednesday night (August 7th, 2013)!

H&WCC Agenda - August 7th, 2013

I've sent in my support email to the municipal clerk's office and I highly suggest the rest of the SSPer's do the same.

And to Councillor Mason I hope you take all the emails you receive into consideration and vote appropriately.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
REMINDER!!

Public Hearing for this project is on Wednesday night (August 7th, 2013)!

H&WCC Agenda - August 7th, 2013

I've sent in my support email to the municipal clerk's office and I highly suggest the rest of the SSPer's do the same.

And to Councillor Mason I hope you take all the emails you receive into consideration and vote appropriately.
Well, based on the precedent of the Spirit Place denial, this is far too dense and far too tall to be comapatible with the neighborhood. So I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 2:05 PM

North End Pub won't resurrect

Quote:
A new building will rise from the ashes of the North End Pub, but it won't contain a bar.

"Due to changes in the restaurant/bar industry, the owner considers it no longer economically viable," says Ross Cantwell.

Cantwell, of Cantwell and Company Ltd., presented plans on behalf of Beaufort Investments last night during a public hearing on the proposed Gottingen Street development.

Part of the Grafton Connor Group, Beaufort is proposing an eight-story, mixed-use development for 2776 Gottingen. The ground floor will house "good, quality commercial" space, according to Cantwell, and will sit under some 70 apartments.
http://www.halifaxnewsnet.ca/News/Lo...nt-resurrect/1

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 12:31 AM

Final approval for this project is scheduled for September 23rd, 2013.

Staff Report

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 11:24 PM

Presumably this was approved last night along with the other projects (3065 Robie & 2814 Isleville).

Also I had to remind myself of what this project looks like (the sheer number in this area is confusing) and I noticed they had some new colour renderings;

http://www.halifax.ca/planning/docum...rspectives.pdf

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 11:36 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Presumably this was approved last night along with the other projects (3065 Robie & 2814 Isleville).

Also I had to remind myself of what this project looks like (the sheer number in this area is confusing) and I noticed they had some new colour renderings;

http://www.halifax.ca/planning/docum...rspectives.pdf
It looks even better in colour.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 5:37 PM

LOVE THIS BUILDING!! I have lived on Bloomfield Street for 8 years but have recently moved out west, which is too bad, because I would have definitely considered moving into this building. I think this building is gorgeous and will spruce up the area and make it look nicer as will all the other new developments on Almon Street and Bilby/Gottigen Street. I think the North End Pub on the lower level is a great idea!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 9:17 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlasawyer View Post
LOVE THIS BUILDING!! I have lived on Bloomfield Street for 8 years but have recently moved out west, which is too bad, because I would have definitely considered moving into this building. I think this building is gorgeous and will spruce up the area and make it look nicer as will all the other new developments on Almon Street and Bilby/Gottigen Street. I think the North End Pub on the lower level is a great idea!
I think I heard that the North End Pub is no longer a part of this project.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 9:58 PM

Oh thats too bad

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 12:35 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Anybody know what's happening with this one?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 8:31 PM

I can't find the thread for it, but the lot that was cleared and I thought approved for a development on the corner of Gottingen and Bloomfield is now for sale.

I think this is what was planned for the site.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 5:59 PM

There are some amendments proposed for this project. The rear parking lot will be removed and the building will be enlarged to have almost full lot coverage.

Case 20894 Details

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth