HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Damn, I like that building, that's a shame. I would feel cheated if anything less than 200' goes there to replace that beauty.
It would be a shame. The plan was that it was supposed to be incorporated as part of the Ballet's building, IIRC. Not sure if they gave up, or changed the plan, or what.

http://em-arc.com/pennsylvania-ballet.html

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Look, it's nice, but it's sat there vacant for years with an empty lot next to it. I think that its one of those times where we have to bite the bullet for the sake of development.
My point is, if the resulting building doesn't equal or supersede this building in terms of architectural quality, I will feel as if this is a loss.
Well he had lots neighbors as of 2012. So while I see your point in 2018, this destruction of 100 year old buildings is all recent history.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9588...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9587...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9590...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmount2Fishtown View Post

Notice of demolition on this building on N. Broad. Any idea what’s going on here?
is that for this? Or did this proposal die?

http://planphilly.com/articles/2011/...toric-district

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
A permit was recently issued for a corner of Broad and Spring Garden:

490 N BROAD ST
19130 - 4015

FOR THE ERECTION OF A ONE STORY STRUCTURE FOR USE AS SIX TENANT SPACES, USE REGISTRATION REQUIRED PRIOR TO OCCUPANCY FOR SPACES 1 TROUGH 4, SPACE 5 FOR USE AS SUNDRIES PHARMACEUTICALS AND CONVENIENCE SALES.

It's a CMX-5 lot.
Absolute waste of a lot.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
A permit was recently issued for a corner of Broad and Spring Garden:

490 N BROAD ST
19130 - 4015

FOR THE ERECTION OF A ONE STORY STRUCTURE FOR USE AS SIX TENANT SPACES, USE REGISTRATION REQUIRED PRIOR TO OCCUPANCY FOR SPACES 1 TROUGH 4, SPACE 5 FOR USE AS SUNDRIES PHARMACEUTICALS AND CONVENIENCE SALES.

It's a CMX-5 lot.
That's this plan: http://www.mscretail.com/property-li...spring-garden/

Brochure: http://www.mscretail.com/wp-content/...e_NEW_sm-2.pdf

Looks like they have CVS and and Citizens Bank have signed leases, and have proposed Starbucks and Petvalu with an additional 8k sqft available. Doesn't look bad in context. It'd be tough to build a tower there because of the Spring Garden BSL stop. being under it. CVS is a nice amenity for the neighborhood and hopefully makes it easier to live in that area. It is kind of funny that the brochure aerial shows the MFL running under Spring Garden street...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
It is kind of funny that the brochure aerial shows the MFL running under Spring Garden street...
It's little things like that that worry me. I just feel like something higher than one story on the highest variation of zoning the city can offer.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 6:50 PM

Quote:
That's this plan: http://www.mscretail.com/property-li...spring-garden/

Brochure: http://www.mscretail.com/wp-content/...e_NEW_sm-2.pdf

Looks like they have CVS and and Citizens Bank have signed leases, and have proposed Starbucks and Petvalu with an additional 8k sqft available. Doesn't look bad in context. It'd be tough to build a tower there because of the Spring Garden BSL stop. being under it. CVS is a nice amenity for the neighborhood and hopefully makes it easier to live in that area. It is kind of funny that the brochure aerial shows the MFL running under Spring Garden street...
Would it really be that much more expensive to build out the first floor for these retail uses and then convert the upper floors to condos? Stuff like this pisses me off. It seems like we're losing a great looking building for non descript b.s.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Would it really be that much more expensive to build out the first floor for these retail uses and then convert the upper floors to condos? Stuff like this pisses me off. It seems like we're losing a great looking building for non descript b.s.
You're confusing two different things I think. The building being torn down is a different lot - though right down the block on Broad Street - than the lot where the one-story building with a CVS will be built. Right now there isn't anything where the CVS will be built except an absolute failure of a plaza below the Tower apartments. I agree though that I wish that nice white building was being saved.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
You're confusing two different things I think. The building being torn down is a different lot - though right down the block on Broad Street - than the lot where the one-story building with a CVS will be built. I agree though that I wish that nice white building was being saved.
Does anyone know what will replace it. The proposal with the ballet building actually looks cool.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 7:00 PM

While we are on the topic of Broad and Spring Garden. Wasn't there a proposal for a 20 something story building on the NW corner? any updates on that?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 7:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It's little things like that that worry me. I just feel like something higher than one story on the highest variation of zoning the city can offer.
that's not little, that's huge.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimshady View Post
While we are on the topic of Broad and Spring Garden. Wasn't there a proposal for a 20 something story building on the NW corner? any updates on that?
Probably in the same trash bin with the American Commerce Center, Trump Philadelphia, Bridgeman's View, and other pipe dreams.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimshady View Post
Haven't heard anything lately, but I guess with the neighborhood up and coming, it's more likely than not to be built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Probably in the same trash bin with the American Commerce Center, Trump Philadelphia, Bridgeman's View, and other pipe dreams.
And The Waldorf, and Mandeville Place, World Trade Square... Ouch. That hurts to see them all at once.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 11:19 PM

Interesting idea to cover up that ugly garage at 7th & Market:

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 1:49 AM

^ No. Something like that is an indication that it won't be demolished/replaced in the short term. That's the real solution.

And yea, WTC is a good one. But I think Mandeville was a serious proposal. There's a difference between legit projects that fall through and ones you look at and sorta chuckle and say "yea right."

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 3:58 AM

Quote:
You're confusing two different things I think. The building being torn down is a different lot - though right down the block on Broad Street - than the lot where the one-story building with a CVS will be built. Right now there isn't anything where the CVS will be built except an absolute failure of a plaza below the Tower apartments. I agree though that I wish that nice white building was being saved.
I absolutely confused the the two, thanks for clearing up. It's funny how the cvs building doesn't seem as bad when it's replacing a dead lot. That context matters a lot. So as of now this building is being demolished... for nothing? Even worse.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 2:31 PM

The green lights are better than nothing. I suspect it might play well off of the lights on top of Lit Bros.

We've known that this garage is sticking around for several years minimum, so nothing new with these lights going up.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
^ No. Something like that is an indication that it won't be demolished/replaced in the short term. That's the real solution.

And yea, WTC is a good one. But I think Mandeville was a serious proposal. There's a difference between legit projects that fall through and ones you look at and sorta chuckle and say "yea right."
This lighting has been up for months. We already knew this garage wouldn't be demo'd in the short term. Brandywine said that when they bought the garage. I expect something good to rise here when the market calls for it, though.

Last edited by jsbrook; Apr 27, 2018 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 2:44 PM

Regarding the Broad and Spring project - Am I alone in thinking it's not that bad? Had it been proposed for one the huge parking lots on the north side of the street, yea, I'd be pissed. But this particular plot of land is pretty small. In fact, I always thought it was a (terribly designed/maintained) plaza to the adjacent building. So to see something built here is a positive. The retail strip will sit so close to that building that we can almost look at it as a retail extension of the existing building (sorta like what is happening with some of the office buildings on Market Street). This will really help activate an otherwise dull corner. Perhaps a 4-8 story midrise would have been better, but I don't think what we're getting that bad.

One other note. In the brochure, if you click on the aerial view, you'll see that the giant parking lot across the street is tagged as the future site of an 18 story office/residential tower that Nimshady cited yesterday. I still don't think this is a legit proposal (brand new office space here?), but it's interesting to see that proposal recognized in the brochure. I suppose it's a good way to highlight the area's potential to prospective tenants.....

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 3:32 PM

^ Agree. Can't get my knickers in a twist over the one story box on a brutalist plaza. I don't see some skinny CMX-5 tower going up next to the old state office building. Maybe they could've been a little taller or more creative with the retail box, but that intersection is just starting to happen. Knocking down the urban equivalent of a small strip center, and replacing with something more ambitious, will easily happen when the price is right.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development