HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 5:03 AM

The Greyhound Depot would be perfect for a residential mid-rise with a neighborhood market below - perhaps Nugget - to serve the growing downtown population that will eventually come from the K street projects, the proposed Hyatt hotel, and others.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 3:54 PM
Hindrance to Development

Indeed--the gravel lot that used to be the Royal Hotel is the perfect pace to put a residential midrise, using the depot as the entrance/lobby and commercial storefront. Kind of like what was done in Washington DC, which had a similar Streamline Moderne depot and a new building built behind it.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Indeed--the gravel lot that used to be the Royal Hotel is the perfect pace to put a residential midrise, using the depot as the entrance/lobby and commercial storefront. Kind of like what was done in Washington DC, which had a similar Streamline Moderne depot and a new building built behind it.
The big problem with the "perfect place" is that behind a light-rail station. And the reality is that virtually none of the properties next to a light rail station or bus stop do very well. Of course that doesn't mean it's deal breaker since the entrance and retail can be located on the L Street side and the corner but that still leaves a significant amount of undesirable ground-floor space that can't be used for the building's parking access point.

As for a grocery store like the Nugget. I don't see that happening anytime soon and certainty not there. First, its too small of space with access issues. Second, there's going to be a new Whole Foods on L between 21st and 20th that the downtown residents can use. And with the new streetcar line passing only a block away it'll be that much more accessible to them. And Third, the growing population hasn't grown nearly enough to warrant it.

BTW I've been to the DC project you are referring to and can say that the two buildings are far apart in quality and size. Just saying.

I like the idea of old depot being used as a Public Market.

Last edited by ozone; Jan 7, 2015 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 7:42 PM

Remember this project?

From http://www.youngcliford.com

Well, it's back!

From the Sacramento Business Journal:

Young Clifford project underway in midtown Sacramento

Ben van der Meer
Staff Writer- Sacramento Business Journal
Jan 13, 2015, 9:47am PST - UPDATED: Jan 13, 2015, 10:55am PST

Quote:
A midtown infill housing project has gotten underway, years after it was first proposed. And a partner in the project said she's happy that even with all the market changes in the interim, the concept hasn't changed along the way.

"Finishing what you start is important," said Julie Young, who's involved with Young Clifford LLC, which broke ground last week on a empty parcel a half block east of 18th Street and Capitol Avenue in Sacramento. "It's fantastic that what we thought of in 2007 is still relevant now."
http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...n-midtown.html

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 9:50 PM

Remember them? I've been looking at that sign of the rendering in the vacant lot since 2007. Congratulations to them for finally pulling off the project as originally envisioned.

Which reminds me: any word on the Tribute Building ever going up?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 1:53 AM

Here's another conceptual drawing of the Vanir Tower. If built, 6th and J Streets would be the densest intersection in Sacramento.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/new...le7247093.html

Last edited by Pistola916; Jan 18, 2015 at 2:09 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 6:40 AM
Hindrance to Development

"Densest" in terms of...?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 7:58 AM

To
Quote:
"Densest" in terms of...?
Height of buildings, not residential population. When you think of it, 6th and J will have the 5-story Sciencetology building on the SE, the 16-story Downtown Plaza hotel tower on the SW, the 7-story former Bank of Sacramento building on the NW, and the 26-story Vanir on the NE. I can't think of any other intersection in downtown that is like that.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 4:09 PM

Six years ago, I would have loved this project. Now, all I see is an interesting form that will probably have high energy usage with an angled facade that will create roving death rays of reflected sunlight throughout the year.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 2:18 AM
Hindrance to Development

Okay, so you're just talking building height rather than density, I see. I'm thinking 5th & Capitol still has that beat by quite a margin, Pistola916. Wells Fargo and Bank of the West Towers, 455 and 510 CM, with the new US Bank tower down the block.

Isn't that 7-story former bank building the one that Kaiser is going to turn into a medical office building?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 6:58 PM

Regarding the so-called Vanir Tower. Obviously, it is a very preliminary rendering. Still I'm not wild about it. The architectural firm Pei Cobb Freed & Partners is well respected so we will have to wait for more details to judge. Maybe the form has a function? I just wish that out-of-area architects better understood our local climate and potential problems with large wall of reflective glass. During the summer, walking past the US Bank building on Capitol Mall, I feel like a little ant under a magnifying glass. It's going to have another above ground parking garage (6-story) -a big ugh, but understand why. What I don't understand is why they couldn't push it to at least 500 feet or more? I know it's going to be Vanir’s headquarters and the regional headquarters of a major bank, but why couldn't they add some floors for other potential tenants?

Having said that. I'm really happy we are getting a new tower regardless. I particularly like the location. I see that area as more suitable for future highrise growth than just about any other place downtown.

Last edited by ozone; Jan 19, 2015 at 7:09 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 9:56 PM

A couple questions for some of you residents...

I am planning a trip back to Sacramento for end of March/beginning of April and I was perusing about the area on Google Maps. I noticed a new(ish) building on the NW corner of 7th and H. It seemed to be an eco-friendly type building as it had solar panels on the roof. I hadn't seen that one mentioned here. So, I thought I'd ask if anyone knew about it.

Also, I wanted some recommendations for some restaurants while I'm in town (with my husband...not the same one I left Sacramento with 6 years ago lol). I already know some places I love to go and hope they're still open. Can anyone recommend a Thai place? Indian? Italian?

Anyway, I can't wait to be back "home"! I haven't been to Sacramento for 4 years now and that is WAY TOO LONG to be apart from the city I grew up in, loved so much, and lived in for almost 30 years!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 10:38 PM
Hindrance to Development

The building at 7th and H is a redevelopment project, intended for extremely-low-income folks and as a replacement for SRO housing units lost by the closing of the Marshall Hotel and the rehab of the Ridgeway Hotel (which is still considered SRO but with a smaller number of units.) It's very eco-friendly, designed by David Mogavero who specializes in that sort of building. 100 or so studio apartments, intended for folks making $18,000 or less per year.

Thai place: Chada Thai on 33rd and J, Coconut on 25th and J, Thai Basil on 25th and J.
Italian: Hot Italian on 16th and Q, Pronto on 16th and O, Adamo's at 21st and P (which is only nominally Italian, but worth a visit), Trick Pony on 21st and S.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
The building at 7th and H is a redevelopment project, intended for extremely-low-income folks and as a replacement for SRO housing units lost by the closing of the Marshall Hotel and the rehab of the Ridgeway Hotel (which is still considered SRO but with a smaller number of units.) It's very eco-friendly, designed by David Mogavero who specializes in that sort of building. 100 or so studio apartments, intended for folks making $18,000 or less per year.

Thai place: Chada Thai on 33rd and J, Coconut on 25th and J, Thai Basil on 25th and J.
Italian: Hot Italian on 16th and Q, Pronto on 16th and O, Adamo's at 21st and P (which is only nominally Italian, but worth a visit), Trick Pony on 21st and S.
Thank you x3!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post

I am planning a trip back to Sacramento for end of March/beginning of April and I was perusing about the area on Google Maps. I noticed a new(ish) building on the NW corner of 7th and H. It seemed to be an eco-friendly type building as it had solar panels on the roof. I hadn't seen that one mentioned here. So, I thought I'd ask if anyone knew about it.

Also, I wanted some recommendations for some restaurants while I'm in town (with my husband...not the same one I left Sacramento with 6 years ago lol). I already know some places I love to go and hope they're still open. Can anyone recommend a Thai place? Indian? Italian?

Anyway, I can't wait to be back "home"! I haven't been to Sacramento for 4 years now and that is WAY TOO LONG to be apart from the city I grew up in, loved so much, and lived in for almost 30 years!
For Thai try Sawasdee Thai at J and 19th (same place/new owners). For Italian I still have to go with Biba -at least until some new ones that are in the works open. Indian? There's none in my hood (Midtown) I'm really enthusiastic about. The best are out in the suburbs. I think I remember the name Peacock but do not know where it is. Probably the best we've got in Midtown is the Bombay Bar & Grill on 21st (Capitol/N). Also if you like Southern cuisine w/a Cali twist try the new "South" on 11th at T.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
For Thai try Sawasdee Thai at J and 19th (same place/new owners). For Italian I still have to go with Biba -at least until some new ones that are in the works open. Indian? There's none in my hood (Midtown) I'm really enthusiastic about. The best are out in the suburbs. I think I remember the name Peacock but do not know where it is. Probably the best we've got in Midtown is the Bombay Bar & Grill on 21st (Capitol/N). Also if you like Southern cuisine w/a Cali twist try the new "South" on 11th at T.
Thank you!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 2:06 AM

Quote:

If you have been away that long you should definitely take a walk down 16th street, it has come a long way. Also check out the huge stadium hole in the ground, probably surreal if you grew up seeing the mall there.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 2:06 AM

700 k

It looks like some activity has started on the 700 K street project. I've seen a bunch of workers on site during the workdays, but no other visible signs of much happening yet.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folks3000 View Post
If you have been away that long you should definitely take a walk down 16th street, it has come a long way. Also check out the huge stadium hole in the ground, probably surreal if you grew up seeing the mall there.
We will have to do both...thank you!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:

I highly recommend LowBrau at 21st and K. It's probably one of the best new places to show up in town the last couple of years.

I second the Chada Thai recommendation, and Hot Italian as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area