HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 6:57 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Thanks spyguy - this really is a nice project - hope the church stays with a design like this and not some VE'd alternative..

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Thanks spyguy - this really is a nice project - hope the church stays with a design like this and not some VE'd alternative..
VE gets such a bad name. There are all kinds of things to do with a design like that to bring about that finished product at a lesser price.

Value Engineering should not be mistaken for Cost Engineering.

Value Engineering provides the desired end result by providing better systems or materials. Cost Engineering is what changes the building.

The latter is largely the result of a culture of laziness in the industry in general.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 11:37 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aic4ever View Post
VE gets such a bad name. There are all kinds of things to do with a design like that to bring about that finished product at a lesser price.

Value Engineering should not be mistaken for Cost Engineering.

Value Engineering provides the desired end result by providing better systems or materials. Cost Engineering is what changes the building.

The latter is largely the result of a culture of laziness in the industry in general.
Not to sound uncivilized but frankly, you're splitting hairs. those textbook definitions are fine, but in the real world there's no different because Value engineering can run the gamut from finish changes because of excessive bids for construction to drastic scope changes where potentially whole programmatic requirements need to be re-thought because of budgetary shortfalls or any number of other, un-foreseen circumstances (your 'Cost Engineering') - it's all the same aic, something which I'm currently dealing unfortunately. My client is expecting sealed bids within a week and already they're concerned about potentially big differences between their capital/budget allocations for this specific renovation and what bid contractors are estimating for construction. My point is that my client knows that there will inevitably be extensive value-engineering (a necessary evil of almost all projects) and it IS a big deal because it will drastically alter the design, timeframe and possibly even the scope of work that they initially hoped for. VE gets a bad name because regardless of how common it can be, it is potentially a bad thing and can compromise the integrity of a design that a lot of people such as yours truly work very, very hard to achieve.

Which is why your last statement is somewhat unwarranted and hurtful - VE has nothing to do with 'culture of laziness in the industry', if your referring to architectural/design professionals and has everything to do with $$$$$. Our job is to make sure that when Value engineering does occur, that the finished product doesn't look like shit, which is what my initial point re. the 4th Presbyterian church was about.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 12:13 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Are you being serious? Fourth Pres is a beauty. Are you guys mad?

What am I missing here? What is this rendered structure supposed to be replacing anyhow (if it's parking lots, then I can understand..)
I guess the "pelvic thrust" smiley wasn't enough to convey my sarcasm...

Since, of course, 4th Pres were the ones who came up with the tower plan, they actually come off rather positively in my book as sensible and rational urban property owners.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 12:28 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Since, of course, 4th Pres were the ones who came up with the tower plan, they actually come off rather positively in my book as sensible and rational urban property owners.
^ That's how I've felt about them

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 4:41 AM
The City

Has anyone passed by the u/c Apple store at North and Clybourn? I'm just curious how it's coming along these days

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Not to sound uncivilized but frankly, you're splitting hairs. those textbook definitions are fine, but in the real world there's no different because Value engineering can run the gamut from finish changes because of excessive bids for construction to drastic scope changes where potentially whole programmatic requirements need to be re-thought because of budgetary shortfalls or any number of other, un-foreseen circumstances (your 'Cost Engineering') - it's all the same aic, something which I'm currently dealing unfortunately. My client is expecting sealed bids within a week and already they're concerned about potentially big differences between their capital/budget allocations for this specific renovation and what bid contractors are estimating for construction. My point is that my client knows that there will inevitably be extensive value-engineering (a necessary evil of almost all projects) and it IS a big deal because it will drastically alter the design, timeframe and possibly even the scope of work that they initially hoped for. VE gets a bad name because regardless of how common it can be, it is potentially a bad thing and can compromise the integrity of a design that a lot of people such as yours truly work very, very hard to achieve.

Which is why your last statement is somewhat unwarranted and hurtful - VE has nothing to do with 'culture of laziness in the industry', if your referring to architectural/design professionals and has everything to do with $$$$$. Our job is to make sure that when Value engineering does occur, that the finished product doesn't look like shit, which is what my initial point re. the 4th Presbyterian church was about.
I'm splitting hairs on purpose, because there IS a difference. Substituting something like Stone-Lite Panels or an Arris-Clip Cladding system for full thickness stone cladding, or buying your curtain-wall through a Chinese or Canadian or Brazilian vendor, rather than through Vistawall or Kawneer, for instance, are VALUE engineering. You obtain the exact same finished product, both to the touch and to the eye, for a much lower price, both in labor and materials. This is re-engineering to provide VALUE. Same product, lower price.

It is COMPLETELY different to say, "You know, why don't we lop a floor off the building to save money?" Here you've saved money by reducing the scope of the work, reducing the VALUE of the building itself. This is COST engineering, and this is what's lazy. Far too often I see contractors, developers, architects and clients (we are all guilty of it) go for the easy solution, the COST engineering solution, before ever thinking about how they can achieve the end result with more innovative solutions.

Arguing with me about splitting hairs only serves to prove my point.

In your current situation, perhaps your client doesn't have the money for what was designed. This is often the case. But it doesn't mean you can't find a solution that reaches your design without redesigning.

EDIT: Also, just to clarify more strongly, I wasn't attacking architects or designers. I was talking about the industry of building from top to bottom, at all levels.

Last edited by aic4ever; Dec 18, 2009 at 4:13 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Has anyone passed by the u/c Apple store at North and Clybourn? I'm just curious how it's coming along these days
I drove by it about a week ago. Steel's up, exterior studs and a little bit of sheathing going on. Would imagine MEP roughs are going as well.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 3:26 PM
devout Pizzatarian

in my experiences in the construction world, "value engineering" or more simply "VE" is used as a catch all term for any and all changes to a project that will save the client money. "cost engineering" is a term i've never heard used. in the real world, it's all just refered to as "VE", whether you're replacing a complicated and expensive HVAC system with a cheaper alternative with the exact same performance standards or if you're gonna remove the precast cladding from a job and just use split face CMU instead, it's all referred to as "VE".

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
in my experiences in the construction world, "value engineering" or more simply "VE" is used as a catch all term for any and all changes to a project that will save the client money. "cost engineering" is a term i've never heard used. in the real world, it's all just refered to as "VE", whether you're replacing a complicated and expensive HVAC system with a cheaper alternative with the exact same performance standards or if you're gonna remove the precast cladding from a job and just use split face CMU instead, it's all referred to as "VE".
I'm aware. It's something we are very careful about explaining to our clients where I work because we are attempting to change minds about the term. It's a great service to be able to provide the design desired at the cost desired, rather than changing the building.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 12:00 AM
THAT Guy

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...o&context=dept

Plan Commission adopts "Transit Friendly Development Guide"
Study will help coordinate growth around CTA train stations

A "Transit Friendly Development Guide" approved by the Chicago Plan Commission on Thursday, Dec. 17, categorizes the Chicago Transit Authority's 144 rail stations by type to help coordinate future real estate investment around each one.

The guide designates each station with one of seven typologies that are common across the rail system. The designations are intended to shape the public's expectations about potential development while identifying the nearby zoning and infrastructure assets that maximize each station as a community anchor, said Patti Scudiero, commissioner of the Department of Zoning and Land Use Planning (DZLP), which drafted the plan with the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA), the Department of Transportation and private consultants.

"The typology designations reflect specific characteristics involving area land uses, densities, nearby employment and other neighborhood traits. Each one will help the city to evaluate and coordinate future infill projects, especially those that promote the use of public transit," Scudiero said.

The seven typologies identified across the system include:

• Downtown Core – High-density, central business district areas

• Major Activity Center – Areas with a wide range of densities and activities

• Local Activity Center – Areas within identifiable neighborhoods

• Dense Urban Neighborhood – Multi-family residential areas with supportive retail

• Urban Neighborhood – Mixed-density residential areas with supportive retail

• Service Employment District – Areas dominated by large employers and institutions

• Manufacturing Employment District – Characterized by large, low-density buildings

Considered the first typology study of its type in the country, the guide establishes potential development scenarios by using highly developed station areas along the system as models for growth. The Rockwell Station in Ravenswood, for example, demonstrates what less-developed stations that share an "Urban Neighborhood" designation could aspire to, Scudiero said.

"This guide is a unique resource for all stakeholders interested in development around CTA's 144 rail stations," added CTA President Richard L. Rodriguez. "Appropriate transit-friendly development provides an opportunity to reinforce or enhance neighborhood character, as well as promote transit use."

In drafting the proposed guide over the last two years, planners conducted bi-monthly technical workshops with public officials and local interest groups, held open houses on the North and South sides of Chicago, and convened one city-wide stakeholders meeting.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 1:26 AM

Oh wow. Great idea

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 1:34 AM
The City

Certainly a great idea and kudos to the planners behind it, but where to we go from here? In the end we can only make recommendations, but as long as misinformed community groups and the Aldermen they walk with leashes can control zoning, any pending recommendations will remain.....recommendations. There needs to be some sort of political backing for this or else it remains nothing more than an intellectual exercise.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 4:06 AM
Chicago carpetbagger

Would a brown line stop at North/Clybourn be a good investment? On my commutes to and from work, I've often wondered why there is a ridiculous "S" curve right there at North and Halsted. It would be feasible to lose the Border's Bookstore and Verizon store that are currently occupying the property, but obviously only if there is a potential for more rides because of it. Has the CTA thought about a brown line stop here?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 5:23 AM
Urbane observer

^What riders would be attracted to a Brown Line station who are not served by the existing Red Line station?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 5:58 AM

^ People with not enough time to reverse course to catch the Brown at Fullerton (or make course corrections once arriving in the Loop). Admittedly not a compelling constituency.

Has there ever been talk of straightening that S curve, a la Harrison? Even if CTA confined itself to nicking just a couple parking lots (and not dealing with the buildings), the Brown could probably gain a good 10mph (random guess) in its North Ave crossing. Not that that's a smart investment, but if the time came for a rebuilding, seems like it would be worth considering for the rebuild.

For comparison, was the Harrison done for safety or speed reasons? Or removal of roadway pylons? And does/did the city own the land behind University Center?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 6:17 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
^ People with not enough time to reverse course to catch the Brown at Fullerton (or make course corrections once arriving in the Loop). Admittedly not a compelling constituency.

Has there ever been talk of straightening that S curve, a la Harrison? Even if CTA confined itself to nicking just a couple parking lots (and not dealing with the buildings), the Brown could probably gain a good 10mph (random guess) in its North Ave crossing. Not that that's a smart investment, but if the time came for a rebuilding, seems like it would be worth considering for the rebuild.

For comparison, was the Harrison done for safety or speed reasons? Or removal of roadway pylons? And does/did the city own the land behind University Center?
This is really starting to be a transit-centered (ie off-topic) discussion but Phase 2 of the Circle Line plans called for a superstation at North/Clybourn that involved a new Brown/Purple station on the elevated tracks. I don't think there's enough room for a station without re-aligning the tracks, so that's a necessary step. It'd be better to use land to the east rather than take down the retail businesses to the west.

The land under the Harrison Curve was acquired by the city in 2001, and is now leased to the parking operator. The straightening was done for reasons of speed AND safety. Allowing trains to travel 35mph instead of 10mph shortens trip times by a minute or so, and reduces the likelihood that a motorman will take the train through the curve at a dangerous speed.

Last edited by ardecila; Dec 19, 2009 at 6:33 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 3:06 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

My apologies. I thought I was in the transit thread. Can somebody move this discussion to that thread?

Last edited by ChicagoChicago; Dec 19, 2009 at 3:28 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 6:23 PM

^ Thanks ardecila.
See you in the transit thread if there is any more to say on this.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 8:44 PM
dream fast

12-19

Apple store at North and Clybourn

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development