HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 8:18 PM

Utility Undergrounding

Let's do a little theoretical mental exercise

Halifax receives millions of dollars from the federal government. The money must be spent on ultility line improvements. After heated debate at Regional Council it is decided the money will be spent to underground utilities in key areas. The public is encouraged to submit votes with the following conditions;

- There is enough funds for 5km of roadway.
- The funds must be spent in three separate L.U.B. areas
- Each road can only receive max. 1km
- No voting for the street you live on.

My votes would be;

SCHMIDTVILLE / SPRING GARDEN DISTRICT

~1.6km towards full lengths of Birmingham, Clyde, Brenton, and Dresden. Another 0.3km towards Queen (Clyde-Morris).

This is a high pedestrian traffic area and popular with tourists. Constantly evolving and becoming more mixed-use, removing utility poles would provide space for streetscaping items, and wider sidewalks with tree wells.

AGRICOLA STREET DISTRICT

~0.6km towards undergrounding on Agricola Street between Cunard and McCully.

This area has high pedestrian traffic, and is home to numerous retail establishments. The narrow sidewalks impede street maintenance and make some areas impassable during winter. No utility poles would allow snow-clearing operations to do a better job in narrow sections and allow for wider sidewalks elsewhere with tree wells.

REMAINING AREAS

- 0.5km towards Dutch Village Road (Joseph Howe - Alma)
- 1.0km towards Hydrostone Market area (Young/Kaye/Isleville/Gottingen)
- 1.0km towards Quinpool District (Robie - Oxford)

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Let's do a little theoretical mental exercise

Halifax receives millions of dollars from the federal government. The money must be spent on ultility line improvements. After heated debate at Regional Council it is decided the money will be spent to underground utilities in key areas. The public is encouraged to submit votes with the following conditions;

- There is enough funds for 5km of roadway.
- The funds must be spent in three separate L.U.B. areas
- Each road can only receive max. 1km
- No voting for the street you live on.

My votes would be;

SCHMIDTVILLE / SPRING GARDEN DISTRICT

~1.6km towards full lengths of Birmingham, Clyde, Brenton, and Dresden. Another 0.3km towards Queen (Clyde-Morris).

This is a high pedestrian traffic area and popular with tourists. Constantly evolving and becoming more mixed-use, removing utility poles would provide space for streetscaping items, and wider sidewalks with tree wells.

AGRICOLA STREET DISTRICT

~0.6km towards undergrounding on Agricola Street between Cunard and McCully.

This area has high pedestrian traffic, and is home to numerous retail establishments. The narrow sidewalks impede street maintenance and make some areas impassable during winter. No utility poles would allow snow-clearing operations to do a better job in narrow sections and allow for wider sidewalks elsewhere with tree wells.

REMAINING AREAS

- 0.5km towards Dutch Village Road (Joseph Howe - Alma)
- 1.0km towards Hydrostone Market area (Young/Kaye/Isleville/Gottingen)
- 1.0km towards Quinpool District (Robie - Oxford)
Without giving it a ton of thought, I'd say I agree with your suggestions.

I'd add the downtown end of Gottingen as another alternative.

Maybe some in Downtown Dartmouth too, or on key commercial sections of the Bedford Highway (this would be a tougher sell and probably not worth it.)

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 1:05 PM

Ooo this is fun. I'd say your suggestions are pretty good.

Bishop Street would be highest on my list. It's not a major route, but it's right next to Province House, and the Hollis-Barrington block probably won't ever be redeveloped, so we can't expect a private developer to do it for us. The current poles also block the sidewalk right now, so it'd be really nice to get them out of the way.

South end of Barrington.

The stragglers on Spring Garden. A lot of the street has been done, which makes the remaining wires seem even more ugly.

As many KMs as I could get on Ochterloney, starting at the water end of the street and working inland until the money ran out.

Hmmm. Having a third LUB district is hard. Are we treating downtowns separate? E.g. downtown Halifax vs peninsular Halifax?

If so, Agricola for as many KMs as I could get.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues