HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 11:47 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post

However, if you live in say, Dartmouth, I guarantee you are not going to go to downtown Halifax to shop in Home Depot or Best Buy as long as there is one close to your home with lots of (yikes!) parking. Therefore, in order to support businesses which have several locations, you need to build a community first to support it, which was the intent of my post.
Well I live in Dartmouth and I make it a point to go to Staples on Gottingen rather than DC or Woodlawn if I can reasonably do so (the bridge requiring a shuttle to cross on bike throws a wrench into my travel plans in some cases) and I also go to Spring Garden rather than Micmac to visit David's. I will even go to Quinpool or Barrington Superstore rather than Braemar and Windsor Sobeys rather than Westphal (although i do support Wyse Sobeys since it's a fairly urban location). But of course I'm doing these things to intentionally support downtown business rather than out of convenience.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Well I live in Dartmouth and I make it a point to go to Staples on Gottingen rather than DC or Woodlawn if I can reasonably do so (the bridge requiring a shuttle to cross on bike throws a wrench into my travel plans in some cases) and I also go to Spring Garden rather than Micmac to visit David's. I will even go to Quinpool or Barrington Superstore rather than Braemar and Windsor Sobeys rather than Westphal (although i do support Wyse Sobeys since it's a fairly urban location). But of course I'm doing these things to intentionally support downtown business rather than out of convenience.
That's very commendable, especially traveling by bicycle. It must take you a lot of time to travel out of your way like that to support 'downtown' businesses. Kudos to you.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 5:25 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Yeah when the bridge bike lane was open it took about 20 minutes to get from Highfield park to Barrington or Quinpool Superstore or about 15 minutes to Braemar. But now that the shuttle is there and only runs every 1/2 hour off peak, and the actual trip takes longer than driving across on the bike lane (especially when coming back) it does make going into town a lot more time consuming.

Fortunately taking the bus isn't really impacted. In fact, when the bridge is closed, the shuttle over the other one is actually more convenient than regular service because it's more frequent and I can go to/from downtown without transferring.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General