HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 7:19 PM

[Bedford] The Avella | 14 m | 3 fl | Complete

Name: 827 Bedford Highway
Height: 13m
Floors: 3
Location: 827 Bedford Highway (Southgate Drive-Glenmount Drive)
Case Number: 01250
Property Size: ~30 885sq ft
Use(s): 7570sq ft Commercial, 11 550sq ft Office, 4 Residential Units
Year: N/A
Developer: Louisbourg Developments
Architects: W.M. Fares Group

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 20, 2009 Public information meeting

Basinview Drive Community Elementary School

273 Basinview Drive, Bedford - 7:00 p.m.

Case 01250 - Application by W.M. Fares Group, on behalf of Louisburg Developments Limited, for a development agreement to permit a mixed use building at 827 Bedford Highway (PID # 00430538), Bedford.

Last edited by Dmajackson; Oct 7, 2010 at 5:43 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 8:26 PM

I have a feeling this will be pretty substantial for that neighbourhood.
Good find as always Bedford_DJ.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 9:37 PM

Here are some photos I took recently of the site (copied from the Development Rumors thread).

And one of the view from the lot;

EDIT: Just as a side not I tried emailing the Development Department a week or so ago about this proposal but nobody ever responded to my email. I might try again soon since its now on the schedule.

Last edited by Dmajackson; May 8, 2009 at 3:35 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 3:32 PM

Information Sheet:

Case 01250 Fact Sheet

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 5:29 PM

Smaller than I thought. Only 3 storeys and only 4 units plus retail.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Smaller than I thought. Only 3 storeys and only 4 units plus retail.
Yes well unfortunately that is due to the imaginary viewplane for the Ravines Condos that also blocked extra height at Southgate Village.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 11:26 PM

Well I'm not very happy with this one;

About ten people showed up tonight and all of us agreed that the proposal was very unatrractive and could do with a visual upgrade. To put it one way "It looks like an aircraft hanger".

One upside though is everybody agreed the land-use was a good idea and was what they wanted.

Anyways more facts about it;

- 45 feet (13 metres) at maximum elevation.
- Final proposal is expected to be ready for approval in Early Fall.
- Site allows for 75 feet (22m).
- Under viewplanes
- It has two driveway entrances with 43 underground parking spaces and 31 surface parking spots
- ground floor is glass on the front and stone tile on the sides and rear, second floor is corrogated metal and EIFS, and the third floors has the typical residential Bedford look of siding.

As for the layout it is technically one building but the ground floor is split in two with covered parking in the middle. The second floor extends the entire building length and is for office use. The third floor has a pitched roof and is five "family" style condos with floorplates from 1200-2500sq ft. It also has a random deck extending out the northern end that really does not look right.

To put the description simply one person compared it to an aircraft hanger and one compared it to the new storage building for Fisherman's Market.

So far this is the worst looking W.M. Fares proposal I have ever seen.

EDIT: Just on a side note the motel lands next door are owned by United Gulf and while there are some long-term plans for them they have said that nothing will be progressing on them for a few years yet. They must be waiting to finish some of their other projects.

Last edited by Dmajackson; May 20, 2009 at 11:39 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 2:24 AM

Like the Twisted Sisters!

I really hope those go up it would be a welcome addition. Plus, vacant parking lots suck!

On a side note. This is more along the lines that bedford highway needs, these type of developments. I don't mean the style but the use for them is great. Now if we could get a nice board walk down there it would be nice to have as well.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 6:36 PM

They finally have an information page for this one;

Case 01250 Details

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 8:54 PM

They've revised the plans for this project and thankfully the facade looks a lot better than before. I'm now pleased to see this project proceed to the Public Hearing step.

Case 01250 Details

Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 12:59 AM

This is crap. A covered parkade like this on the Bedford Highway, on the water side? Come on. This looks like something that should be on Parkland

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 3:40 AM
we built this city

DJ, can we get an pic of this whenver you have a chance.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
DJ, can we get an pic of this whenver you have a chance.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this sentence.

The site has no construction yet and I provided some before photos above (nothing has changed)

If you mean the renderings HERE they are. I'm not sure how tp pull the images off of the PDF's.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 3:02 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this sentence.

The site has no construction yet and I provided some before photos above (nothing has changed)

If you mean the renderings HERE they are. I'm not sure how tp pull the images off of the PDF's.
Sorry, by previous comments it sounded like the building was U/C and that people were complaining about the way it looked.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 4:50 AM
Honored Member

The revised renderings certainly looks better than the original renderings. This looks like a decent building.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Sorry, by previous comments it sounded like the building was U/C and that people were complaining about the way it looked.
Thats okay I kind of fgured you may of been confused.

The previous posts were just complaining about the renderings for the buildings.

If people want a comparison for this building consider it a mix of 273 Bedford Highway (covered parking lot) and the Needs/Video Difference building up by Meadowbrook (clock tower) with slightly different exterior materials used.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Thats okay I kind of fgured you may of been confused.

The previous posts were just complaining about the renderings for the buildings.

If people want a comparison for this building consider it a mix of 273 Bedford Highway (covered parking lot) and the Needs/Video Difference building up by Meadowbrook (clock tower) with slightly different exterior materials used.
This makes it sound even worse! The needs/Video Difference building is horrible - that lattice and clock, and covered section and on and on and on...

But despite all this, my issue is that there seems to be absolutely no plan for this long strip of the bedford highway. All these driveways, parking lots, etc. combined with increased traffic just make it more and more of a nightmare with each project. Bedford needs a comprehensive development plan now.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 12:43 PM

Back to the drawing board
Developer hopes its redesigned project is more suitable to Bedford residents

By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor
Chronicle Herald / Mon. Mar 8 - 4:54 AM

A proposed building that Bedford residents panned has gone through some major design changes.

WM Fares Group is applying for a development agreement on behalf of Louisburg Developments Ltd. to build a three-storey mixed-use building at 827 Bedford Highway. People who attended a public meeting about the project last spring weren’t kind to the proposal.

"But the design was changed because that was the No. 1 complaint from the public, was the actual look of the building," said Andrew Bone, a city planner assigned to the project.

The original design called for metal roofing, and was much more modern in nature than what is now being proposed, Bone said.

"A lot of people said it looked like an aircraft hangar," he said. "It’s like the Bengal Lancers building. I think that’s where they drew the inspiration from. But it didn’t fly in Bedford."

That’s been switched to a pitched roof with dormers and, possibly, a clock tower.

"Compared to the original design, it’s much more in the tradition of what Bedford would find acceptable," Bone said. "I find it architecturally pleasing . . . and I think the community will be happy as well."

The old design called for lots of stucco board.

"Now it’s a mixture of HardiPlank siding, which is more like a traditional clapboard, (and) there’s some stone," he said.

"I think it will meet the Bedford aesthetic."

The proposed project, which would be located next door to the Travelers Motel, includes 700 square metres of commercial retail space, 1,070 square metres of office space and five condominiums.

"The unique thing about the building is on the first level, there’s a breezeway," Bone said. "That’s primarily because they need the parking."

There will also be parking under the proposed project.

"The development agreement is now being drafted," said Cesar Salah, of the WM Fares Group. "And we expect to go to (North West) community council in April or May for a public hearing."

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 5:28 PM
we built this city

Exterior will likely look like crap.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarchy View Post
People who attended a public meeting about the project last spring weren’t kind to the proposal.

"But the design was changed because that was the No. 1 complaint from the public, was the actual look of the building," said Andrew Bone, a city planner assigned to the project.

"A lot of people said it looked like an aircraft hangar," he said. "It’s like the Bengal Lancers building. I think that’s where they drew the inspiration from. But it didn’t fly in Bedford."

Bingo.

Excluding the HRM offcials and the developers there was only four of us at the meeting and not a single person like the look of the building. The aircraft hanger might of been thought by all of us but only one person actually stated it (and he was very correct).

Quote:
"The development agreement is now being drafted," said Cesar Salah, of the WM Fares Group. "And we expect to go to (North West) community council in April or May for a public hearing."
That is good to hear since the PIM was almost a year ago now. I'll defenitely be speaking at it, most likely for the project (I'll have to see the DA first).

Quote:
Exterior will likely look like crap.
Most likely yes but the renderings do make it look better than most buildings in Bedford right now and well compared to the Tides Condo right across the street anything on this lot would look good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs