HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 8:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

Tourism Hamilton

Figured I make a seperate thread for anything related to tourism in Hamilton. I like reading an article from a tourist or a foreigner about Hamilton.

Heres a start Beyond the Skyway: Hamilton's Great Outdoors.

http://travel.aol.ca/article/travel-...ntario/212891/

AOL Canada is promoting Hamilton right now, think it goes on for a few weeks or a month. AOL takes you through 13 spots in Hamilton.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 9:17 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton Planning Tourist Welcome Center Along QEW

Ken Mann
8/5/2008

Hamilton politicians are making a strategic land purchase along the QEW.

The city's planning and economic development committee has given the green light to the purchase of close to three acres of surplus land from the Ontario Realty Corporation, at Fifty Road and the North Service Road.

Long-term plans are to build a welcome center for tourists at the location.

Tourism Hamilton Executive Director David Adames calls it a "natural gateway" at the Stoney Creek/Niagara border. He adds that it's also a great chance to sell the city to those travelling the QEW.

The cost of the land purchase is 986 thousand dollars. It still needs final approval from City Council on Thursday.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 9:39 PM
Closed account

Hope they do something creative like the much mourned Giant's Rib centre, and not something foodcourty like the Niagara Gateway.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 12:50 AM
On Guard For Thee

I don't care if there's a food court--you actually have to offer amenities like that to maximize the traffic you capture. Nonetheless, I hope to see something top-notch--playing off the escarpment, harbor, lake, etc. There's a huge opportunity to involve groups like the Bruce Trail Association, RBG, NEC, etc, in playing up the natural landscape of the city. Would like to see similar features built into the airport as it's expanded/redeveloped.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 1:11 AM
Closed account

one of our new mega Walmarts will be there too. What more do you need?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 5:02 AM
Closed account

The Niagara Gateway is nothing BUT a foodcourt. That's what I was referring to. A missed opportunity of enormous proportions.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
The Niagara Gateway is nothing BUT a foodcourt. That's what I was referring to. A missed opportunity of enormous proportions.
No, it's also a tourist information centre. You've never been there obviously.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 11:22 AM
Closed account

I've never been there because I don't eat crap.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 12:29 PM
Closed account

Unless the tourism kiosk has been expanded significantly in recent months, I think my characterization is fair. I was living in Niagara and knew one of the players involved with the original vision for the gateway. It was intended to be more of an interpretive centre. The fact that we now have a collection of pamphlets and fast food joints as the 'gateway' to a world class wine region, and one of the best tender fruit growing regions in the country, at a time when local food is gripping everyone's imagination, represents a tragic waste as far as I'm concerned.

I hope the people involved with Hamilton's gateway don't give in to the same pressures that turned the Niagara gateway into such a nondescript mess.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
No, it's also a tourist information centre. You've never been there obviously.
I've been there a few times, and from what I can tell it's mostly a food court with tall ceilings. If it is indeed a tourism centre they they have done a miserable job making that obvious to the hungry traveller.

The place looks nice on the inside -- if you look up. Otherwise it's the standard tim/wendy roadside "Attraction".

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 12:50 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
Unless the tourism kiosk has been expanded significantly in recent months, I think my characterization is fair. I was living in Niagara and knew one of the players involved with the original vision for the gateway. It was intended to be more of an interpretive centre. The fact that we now have a collection of pamphlets and fast food joints as the 'gateway' to a world class wine region, and one of the best tender fruit growing regions in the country, at a time when local food is gripping everyone's imagination, represents a tragic waste as far as I'm concerned.

I hope the people involved with Hamilton's gateway don't give in to the same pressures that turned the Niagara gateway into such a nondescript mess.

I've always thought the exact same thing. Niagara is full of great wineries, restaurants etc.... and this is the crap they put as their 'gateway centre'???
I hope Hamilton can drum up enough money for maybe a 2nd or 3rd floor observation deck overlooking the lake with this thing.
A waterfall would be nice with some sweet local art.
I know I'm dreaming though...it'll probably be a crappier version of Niagara's. Let's make our Horton's bigger though so people will stop at ours instead of theirs.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 12:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

If I had a chance to build the tourism centre I would get massive thick rust free steel beams to form a long tent with steel beams sticking out high into the sky, upside down V shape. Cover it all with glass on each side. The glass facade facing Toronto bound traffic I would have a waterfall on the entire side. At night time light up the steel beams with colourful LED lights.

Then inside I would get local artist to paint landmarks, no cheesy crap though such as an entire wall painted with the scene of the Niagara Escarpment, they did that the Airport and I'm no fan.

The tourism desk at the Airport gets really busy, they probably have to restock the pamphlets at the end of each day.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 1:25 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
I've always thought the exact same thing. Niagara is full of great wineries, restaurants etc.... and this is the crap they put as their 'gateway centre'???
The 'player' I knew who was involved with the original concept was the owner of one of Niagara's more prominent wineries. Apparently the considerable clout of the wineries wasn't enough to offset the clout of the "national food retailers", as the gateway website likes to call them. Too bad. I like a nice Pinot Noir with my Baconator.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 3:19 PM

i just posted a small rant (rave) about our need to support local tourism - i.e. getting hamiltonians out to our own events and landmarks:
http://hammerboard.ca/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=315

in a nutshell, i think that "doors open" should last all summer. Kick off with the full doors open, then each weekend open a small cluster of sites for free. Hopefully include free shuttles from major spots in the city too.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
I've never been there because I don't eat crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
I've been there a few times, and from what I can tell it's mostly a food court with tall ceilings. If it is indeed a tourism centre they they have done a miserable job making that obvious to the hungry traveller.
Um, it's the first thing you see as you walk in the door.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 9:55 PM
Closed account

^^ are you referring to the rack of brochures? Is that what constitutes a 'Tourism Centre'? :s

I've also been here severl times on my ways to/from Brock in St Kitts, and it is seriously nothing more than a food court. Sure it's nice! I love the look of it, but it's useless for tourism. Although one of the Vinyards has a mini satelite location w/in it. That's probably the only thing 'Niagara' about Gateway Niagara.

Hamilton's should include different sections relating to the different parts of our city. Kinda like a Expo kind of deal: each area gets it own pavillion. We all know how history-rich our city is, let's not forget Dundas (Hamilton's older brother), Stoney Creek & Ancaster and all the history there!

Sure a Tim's is a must, it's Hamilton! haha But hopefully the main attraction is a bunch of 'major national food retailers'.

ps: That Pinot Noir & Baconator comment was f'in jokes, highwater! Thanks for the laugh. Sad thing is, I could see an American Tourist enjoying that very same combo. "Look at me, I'm cultured!!!"

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 4:01 AM
It's Hammer Time

City purchases Stoney Creek land

By Kevin Werner
News
Aug 08, 2008

Hamilton politicians agreed this week to spend nearly $1 million for 2.9 acres of property to develop the city's long-proposed tourism welcome centre in Stoney Creek.

"I'm pleased with the decision," said Stoney Creek councillor Dave Mitchell. "There is no risk to the municipality (in the purchase)."

Politicians are expected to vote on the recommendation at their Aug. 7 council meeting.

In 2005 and 2006 councillors authorized the city's real estate staff to purchase the land at the northeast corner of North Service Road and Baseline Road. The purchase price from the Ontario Realty Corporate, which owned the land, was $986,000.

In June 2006, councillors approved staff to spend $676,000 to purchase the property.

City staff are using its property purchase reserve account to fund the deal.

The assessed price of the property in 2006 was $615,000, but before the city could purchase it, the land had to be re-appraised. It had been expected that 10 per cent would be added onto the land's price tag after the reassessment.

Under the agreement with the province, the city can't speculate with the land. And if the city has to sell the land within 20 years, the province will have the right of re-purchase the land.

Tourism Hamilton Executive Director David Adames, has been arguing for the construction of information centres throughout Hamilton to help improve the image of the city. Tourism Hamilton has an information centre in the city's downtown core, at the Hamilton International Airport, and a seasonal centre in Flamborough.

Stoney Creek Chamber of Commerce officials have been pestering city officials to construct a visitor information centre in their city ever since the tourism information centre at the corner of Centennial Parkway and King Street was closed a number of years ago.

Tourism Hamilton has proposed to build a $1.2 million, 5,000 square-foot facility that would include information about the city, eating facilities, and provide washrooms. Mr. Adames has stated the facility could cost about $110,000 to operate per year. The city would have to pay to service the property.

A feasibility study on the Visitor Welcome Centre, is scheduled to be completed next winter or spring, 2009.

Mr. Mitchell, who is also a member of the Tourism Hamilton board of directors, said it would be in the best interest of Tourism Hamilton to partner with the private sector to construct the visitor centre.

"I don't think Tourism Hamilton can do it on its own," he said.

Mr. Mitchell said a visitor centre is needed to educate tourists about Hamilton, while providing them with an inviting area to rest as they travel along the Queen Elizabeth Way.

"It's an ideal place (for the centre)," he said. "We need to build a centre that is attractive for people."

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 1:45 AM

I stumbled upon an interesting travel review for Hamilton while surfing the net. Thought I'd post an exerpt from a review of Hamilton, Niagara and Toronto published last week in the Manchester Evening News (Manchester, UK).

Quote:
Holiday reviews
Ontario, Canada
Jenny Dixon
11/ 8/2008

FLYING to Ontario for a tour of the region I had little idea what lay in store for me.

I knew it was home to the iconic natural wonder Niagara Falls and that Toronto is something of a shoppers’ paradise, especially with the exchange rate firmly in British tourists’ favour.

What I didn’t anticipate stumbling upon were thriving vineyards, a chance to watch elephants frolic in a lake and a plethora of museums and art galleries in a region of immense significance in Canada’s history.

These unexpected tourist lures made for a trip that encompassed adventure, culture, relaxation, shopping and fun - the perfect blend for any family or couple.

Getting to Ontario is incredibly easy with direct, reasonably priced flights from Manchester to: Hamilton (with Flyglobespan) and Toronto (with Air Transat).

Hamilton has a small airport but don’t be fooled - it is not just a place to pick up a hire car it’s a gateway to an unforgettable holiday.

Less than an hour’s drive from Niagara Falls and Toronto, Hamilton provided me with a convenient base from which to explore the area.

Haven

The city is situated next to Lake Ontario, although it is hard to distinguish it as a ‘lake’ given that its shores are imperceptible due to the scale of the place.

Hamilton is at heart a centre for industry, reflected in the nickname ‘Steel Town’, but like Manchester it is reinventing itself - with artists taking up residence, a wide range of renovation and conservation projects underway and the air of a city waiting to be discovered by the broader world.

The stars are taking note - Bruce Springsteen recently performed at the concert venue there while Bob Dylan and Cirque de Soleil are also set to appear.

I stayed at the comfortable and welcoming Sheraton Hotel, which is centrally located and boasts its own gym, swimming pool, bar and restaurant.

Conveniently, the hotel is also attached to a shopping arcade and situated directly opposite the Art Gallery of Hamilton.

The gallery’s permanent collection, featuring displays of contemporary, Canadian and religious art, is free to enter while there is paid for access to the temporary exhibition, which currently houses ‘Inspiration East’ showcasing Asian art including the kimonos of the most famous Geisha of the 20th century Ichimaru.

The gallery is in many ways a microcosm of the wider city community, which hosts a broad mix of ethnicities. For tourists this means culinary experiences from around the globe are available - from Lebanese to Italian and Thai.

But it is just outside the city boundaries that Hamilton truly becomes a must-see. For horticulturalists the Royal Botanical Gardens nurture a diverse range of flower and plant species.

Even this man-made haven, however, cannot match what Mother Nature provided on Hamilton’s doorstep - the Niagara Escarpment. A number of forest trails give walkers the opportunity to glimpse beautiful waterfalls, tiny in comparison to the escarpment’s name-sake but impressive all the same.

Discovery

The peace of the countryside is all encompassing once you get a few miles out of the city but just short of 200 years ago the land that surrounds Hamilton was anything but serene. Once a year the battle-cries ring out in a military re-enactment to mark the day that the British defeated the Americans in a significant battle of the War of 1812.

The past is brought to life by museum tour guides who don the costume of their forefathers. The Battlefield House Museum and Park comprises the Gage Homestead. Built in 1796 it captures the way of life for the relatively well-to-do Gages family, who sheltered in the basement while the Battle of Stoney Creek raged outside.

More grand is Dundurn Castle, home of the Premier of United Canadas Sir Allan Napier MacNab, who had a significant impact on the development of the region. Visitors can take an illuminating tour of the house and servants’ quarters, which sheds light on a period of Canadian history of which I was, ashamedly, largely unaware.

This break proved to be one of perpetual discovery, and not merely of culture within the walls of an art gallery or museum.

Pretty much every tourist attraction came as a pleasant surprise, given my ignorance of what Ontario had to offer the traveller - I didn't even expect the hot weather and sunshine that prevailed for most of my stay.

So forgive me for balking at the idea of an African Lion Safari, in an area that resides in minus temperatures for much of the winter season.

Apparently, however, the colder months are no deterrent to bringing the wilds of Africa to Ontario; the elephants are particularly partial to playing around in the snow.

The giant thick-skinned beasts are one of the greatest lures to the African Lion Safari. Other animals have to be viewed from the car, but guests can get within close proximity to the docile elephants - hitch a ride, watch them take a dip in the lake or, I’m told, see them indulge in a bit of art therapy!

While the kids will undoubtedly enjoy viewing more than 1,000 birds and animals, petting the friendlier park residents or making a splash in the water park, adults too seem drawn to this place - one website cited it as a top spot to take your date!

Being a more traditional player in the dating game I prefer to glam up for an expensive dinner rather than go down the safari route and if that’s your style Hamilton has the spa to have you feeling like a million dollars.

Three hours of pampering at LubaMera Spa, which involved honey being smeared over my arms, legs and face, had me feeling ready for whatever else Ontario had to throw at me.
The full article can be found here.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 1:59 AM
Closed account

dang. Great stuff!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 1:55 PM

compare that to the lonely planet guide to canada which practically tells tourists they are better off staying on the QEW and carrying on to niagara falls.

check it out if you are at a bookstore. i'm talking about the newest edition too...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation