HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 1:07 AM
we built this city

Edited

Last edited by worldlyhaligonian; Mar 16, 2015 at 5:46 AM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Biggest problem in the east... we have these sort of chumps.

Actually its a Canada-wide issue on the left and the right, the governments and the oppositions. Where are all the real leaders?
What?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 5:31 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
What?
Edited

Last edited by worldlyhaligonian; Mar 16, 2015 at 5:46 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 3:52 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Kind of random, but there was an interesting article in ANS tonight about the wine industry in NS. Apparently it is worth about $200M a year now.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 7:25 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Kind of random, but there was an interesting article in ANS tonight about the wine industry in NS. Apparently it is worth about $200M a year now.
Edited

Last edited by worldlyhaligonian; Mar 16, 2015 at 5:47 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
That figure is ridiculously high. I wonder what calculation methodology they employed.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 12:00 AM

[QUOTE=Keith P.;6040669]That figure is ridiculously high. I wonder what calculation methodology they employed.[/

Why do you say it is ridiculously high?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 12:04 AM

Is it? While still a small industry relative to BC and the Niagara, NS also currently produces some of Canada's most expensive wines. I'm not 100% sure how this works, but I believe that grapes grown in NS can also be processed in other parts of Canada (and vice versa) so the wine industry figures probably extend beyond what would be considered wholly Nova Scotian products.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 1:16 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I am not sure how they calculated that number. I have seen about $280 million for the Niagara wine industry, but I thought the gap was much bigger than that.

You can sell grapes easily across Canada, but there are (archaic) controls on interprovincial shipment of the alcohol itself so NS wine producers are at a disadvantage compared to those in a larger province like Ontario that has more comparatively red-tape-free customers.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 5:39 PM

Wasn't sure where to throw this one - but here goes. Was just skimming through the operational budget information for HRM (proposed). On page F4 under Community and Recreation Services - they had a breakdown of the 2012 value of construction permits.

I'm not sure what the table above the 'value of construction' chart is, but the chart itself is quite telling:

The total value of construction in 2012 was just over $900 million, with residential (low density) coming in around $550 million, Multi-residential at around $200 million and ICI (Industrial, Commercial and Institutional) at around $390 million (just shy of $400 million). So not quite a $1 billion year, but still quite impressive.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 2:19 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I'm not sure where the discussion was, but I remember reading some posts about the economy in Cape Breton.

Apparently CB's economy has been doing better than the NS average since 2009. It's been growing by around 1% per year. Canada's GDP went down by 3% in 2009.

It is very easy to get too caught up in population growth numbers. There is also a strong tendency to take current economic trends and extrapolate -- we think that the places that did well this year will keep improving and the places that are shrinking are dying. In reality, economic trends tend to go back and forth and there's often a stabilizing effect over time (a place loses some jobs, then labour and housing gets cheaper there, so it becomes more attractive for companies to set up, and so on).

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 2:02 PM
Fizzix geek

Biotech industry rallies to save medical device lab

May 9, 2013 - 8:36pm JOANN ALBERSTAT BUSINESS REPORTER

Quote:
A Halifax medical device lab recently saved from closure is working to become more market-driven to ensure its long-term survival.

The lab got a new name and operator on April 2, when it became known as the Biomedical Translational Imaging Centre. The centre, also called BIOTIC, took over facilities previously operated by the National Research Council.

The federal agency announced in October that it was closing its lab, located at the IWK Health Centre and Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre, this spring.

But the province’s biotech industry quickly stepped in and raised enough money to keep the facility operating.

Dr. Patrick McGrath, vice-president of research and innovation for Capital Health and the IWK, said Thursday the centre is already working to find the funds needed to be self-sustaining.
Some self-advertisement in the economic development front :-)

continued here...
http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...cal-device-lab

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 2:51 PM

Exclamation

I'm am pretty surprised that Nova Scotia is unable to retain workers considering the number of employers who are looking for foreign workers.

Something seems strange about certain business using this program, such as restaurants and hotels, considering the number of people still looking for work in the province.

Take a look at the cbc article for yourself and maybe even challenge these companies over the skills they seem to need that leads them to seek foreign workers..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...employers.html

I just hope the companies are not taking advantage of these people like Jani-king cleaning services has been doing in Halifax.. (See article below for the story)

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/filipino-...oyer-1.1252657

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 3:46 PM

Well, they're legally allowed to pay the temporary foreign workers less—pretty much simpler as that.

Canada took in something like 300,000 temp workers last year. It's getting ridiculous, and it's not only horning in on areas where there are Canadians looking for work, but it's in some ways serving as a replacement for permanent immigration. Our immigration cap has been stuck at 250,000 per year, not even 1 per cent of the population, for two decades. We should raise that limit so that A: All regions can share in immigration, and B: We can admit people who will become citizens and settle permanently, rather than the revolving-door situation we have now. (Of course, companies would have to pay permanent residents and new citizens more than the temporary workers, so...).

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 1:00 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's also unfortunate because there are a lot of younger people who have trouble finding work. These jobs are not great but they can be good for students.

There was an interesting article in ANS a couple days ago about the winners and losers in the city's job market. The city's employment has grown by more than the national average for the past 6 years, but 97% of the growth can be accounted for in the 45 years old and over cohort. The 25-44 year old labour force only grew by about 1%.

There is a huge generational gap in terms of where wealth is accumulating. Older people are hanging onto high-paying jobs for longer and are benefiting from higher property values (they are rentiers) while younger people struggle to find work and pay rent.

This actually ties in with the Quinpool Road apartment building thread. Homeowners don't benefit from these buildings so they try to block their approval. When they do block the buildings, property values are inflated because the supply of new housing is restricted. They win. Young people without property lose because they capture none of the increase in housing values and instead are stuck paying out higher rents. Or they just give up and move to another province with a better earnings to cost of living ratio, while people in NS scratch their heads and wonder what can be done about the ageing population.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperfan View Post
I'm am pretty surprised that Nova Scotia is unable to retain workers considering the number of employers who are looking for foreign workers.

Something seems strange about certain business using this program, such as restaurants and hotels, considering the number of people still looking for work in the province.

Take a look at the cbc article for yourself and maybe even challenge these companies over the skills they seem to need that leads them to seek foreign workers..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...employers.html

I just hope the companies are not taking advantage of these people like Jani-king cleaning services has been doing in Halifax.. (See article below for the story)

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/filipino-...oyer-1.1252657
Very interesting, RBC announced they would not be outsourcing or replacing Canadian workers. I suppose there were enough people who closed their accounts that RBC felt it. Too bad we could not do the same with most of the companies on this list. There are so many companies it would be hard to do it. If we boycotted Sobey's for example, for a month until they stopped hiring temporary foreign workers, wages would rise and Canadians would do better.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
If we boycotted Sobey's for example, for a month until they stopped hiring temporary foreign workers, wages and prices would rise and some Canadians would do better while shoppers would do worse.
Fixed it for you.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Fixed it for you.
Not at all what I wanted to say.

Right now we have many in society making less and less because of suppressed wages. Prices are rising regardless but those on the bottom end are finding it harder to make ends meet on a suppressed income. Everybody would be better able to deal with the increased costs if wages on the lower end went up.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 4:06 PM

I think it's time people start buying local and not look down on it as some hipster/hippy fashion statement. The best produce I've bought have all been locally grown. Items at farmers markets and stores like Averys has better quality, locally grown or produced and in most cases at a cheaper price.

It comes down to the consumer. The market decides whats good and what it costs so stop putting money in the rich supermarkets that over charge for crappy food and support local markets.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
I think it's time people start buying local and not look down on it as some hipster/hippy fashion statement. The best produce I've bought have all been locally grown. Items at farmers markets and stores like Averys has better quality, locally grown or produced and in most cases at a cheaper price.

It comes down to the consumer. The market decides whats good and what it costs so stop putting money in the rich supermarkets that over charge for crappy food and support local markets.
Just a comment about Avery's: on some items their business model is to buy the produce that the supermarket chains reject, due to size or cosmetics. Not necessarily past its prime stuff, but stuff that is either too big or too small or otherwise not cosmetically up to their standards.

What you say about buying local is really just a smaller-scale version of any sort of commerce. The Walmart model of lowest-cost provider has driven much manufacturing to China and consumers continue to lap it up. I don't think food is much different. Paying more for locally-produced products will always be limited to a fringe group of relatively well-off consumers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy