HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Royal Connaught Phase III in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Hamilton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
A building next to 320 would be wise to incorporate a reference stylistically to the international village, thinking a retro inspired build by Core Urban would work well here.

King St from Sherman onward towards the Core has a lot of potential with great old character buildings for small businesses, just needs the LRT to invigorate that directive. Would be ideal too as people coming from Niagara, Welland, St Catharines, Stoney Creek, etc., would have more opportunity to explore that strip directionally into downtown.

Main has a lot of possible turnover opportunity from John onward to Gage for future development. Just need to make it two way.
King Street has some buildings worth saving, or at least new buildings which complement them.

Main Street has a lot of converted houses, it could do with some more modern facades.

Either way, they both need to be 2 ways. Once the LRT is built King St. will half it's capacity, so there's even more of a reason to convert both streets. The Delta's confusing enough to cross as-is.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 9:07 PM

Funny you mention the Delta, it's like the Bermuda Triangle. Every time I'm over by Ottawa St, I have to literally calibrate my directional senses. It's like entering another dimension when you're on Main and going west, then all of a sudden you're on King

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Funny you mention the Delta, it's like the Bermuda Triangle. Every time I'm over by Ottawa St, I have to literally calibrate my directional senses. It's like entering another dimension when you're on Main and going west, then all of a sudden you're on King
It's funny, I've lived in the East End all my life, but I volunteer at the Aviary. So Saturday mornings I snooze on the bus, and I can always tell when we've passed it because we turn slightly, and the driver steps on the gas

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 2:54 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildishGavino View Post
King Street has some buildings worth saving, or at least new buildings which complement them.

Main Street has a lot of converted houses, it could do with some more modern facades.

Either way, they both need to be 2 ways. Once the LRT is built King St. will half it's capacity, so there's even more of a reason to convert both streets. The Delta's confusing enough to cross as-is.
I think you mean IF the LRT is built. All this seems to hinge on LRT, if it's never built then this is all a pipe dream.

Regardless, we have gotten FAR off course of this threat - between discussing other streets and bitching and moaning about the condo stuff, we really should restore the focus back to the design itself. It's not super glamorous, but its not horrible, its somewhere in between - we could have asked for more but this is what we got - so we gotta accept it. Let's leave it at that. Noone is gonna take our design considerations into effect anyways.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I think you mean IF the LRT is built. All this seems to hinge on LRT, if it's never built then this is all a pipe dream.
Give it time... It's been in the works 15 years and all that work won't just go away.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 2:58 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildishGavino View Post
Give it time... It's been in the works 15 years and all that work won't just go away.
Yeah well at the speed of how things go this will take another 15 years - that and without funding from the govt who is gonna foot this massive bill? How many billions of dollars over was it?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Yeah well at the speed of how things go this will take another 15 years
Don't jinx us lol

The feds are going to contribute, it's as certain as things in this circumstance can be. The Infrastructure Minister's just waiting for the necessary paperwork from Queen's Park. Nobody's saying it won't be expensive, but you'll never be able to accept the bill if you look at this project as a straight upgrade to the 10, because it isn't.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 7:36 AM

This is a much needed bit of modern mixed in with the existing historic architecture. I really love the mix of glass and what looks to be brick and non-reflective materials on the tower portion.

Kudos for containing the mech within the massing of the tower and not an ugly box on the roof.

My only concern is the quality of brick in the historic looking podium. Precast panels of brick like the ones used on the newer section of the Connaught would look awfully cheap.

I also commend the height in this area that has cleaner lines like this render - anything to detract from Landmark Place. That building should not be the crown jewel of the skyline.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 10:54 AM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelandofdustin View Post
This is a much needed bit of modern mixed in with the existing historic architecture. I really love the mix of glass and what looks to be brick and non-reflective materials on the tower portion.

Kudos for containing the mech within the massing of the tower and not an ugly box on the roof.

My only concern is the quality of brick in the historic looking podium. Precast panels of brick like the ones used on the newer section of the Connaught would look awfully cheap.

I also commend the height in this area that has cleaner lines like this render - anything to detract from Landmark Place. That building should not be the crown jewel of the skyline.
In full agreement here with that post. Also welcome to the forum, big fan of your instagram!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 5:51 PM

Thanks so much! Born and raised Hamiltonian but now living in Toronto, every time I come back to the city I have a fresh set of eyes on new development. I like the trend Hamilton is going down. This particular development and phase 3 specifically is what Hamilton really needs! Thoughtful and respectful design but leaning on the more high end modern side.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 5:54 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelandofdustin View Post
Thanks so much! Born and raised Hamiltonian but now living in Toronto, every time I come back to the city I have a fresh set of eyes on new development. I like the trend Hamilton is going down. This particular development and phase 3 specifically is what Hamilton really needs! Thoughtful and respectful design but leaning on the more high end modern side.
Welcome to the forum!

Yeah hamilton is going for more of an old meets new vibe, taking cues from hamiltons industrial past often in its modern design and fusing it with the more traditional elements - which I think is smart for our city - instead of bulldozing it all and making it all a glass jungle.

Nice to see some positivity in a thread that has grown very.. very.. toxic..

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 6:38 PM

Amen to Landmark Place being dethroned as the jewel of the skyline!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 7:03 PM

They really classed up the Crowne Plaza!

Would be interested to see a rendering of the new view for the tenants on the Connaught's east face. (Also curious about the wind dynamics, as Main and Catharine is one of the windiest corners in the city, part of the reason why the Landmark's balconies are mainly used for storage.)

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 3:17 AM

Anyone know when this goes before the city for approval?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 4:40 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Anyone know when this goes before the city for approval?
My understanding is that it already has zoning approval, save for standard holding provisions that the City places on downtown properties.

To my knowledge, which is based on the City's Development Applications map, they have not submitted an application to lift those holding provisions, or filed a site plan application for any of the new phases as of now.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 12:13 AM

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 12:27 AM

Really hoping that between this building and Cobalt condos the hundreds of new residents will revitalise Gore Park. Currently it's a bit shady to be down there in the evening, not exactly somewhere people want to go visit restaurants and things. Hoping that changes.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Really hoping that between this building and Cobalt condos the hundreds of new residents will revitalise Gore Park. Currently it's a bit shady to be down there in the evening, not exactly somewhere people want to go visit restaurants and things. Hoping that changes.
People who think it's shady live in some sort of Utopia. Hamilton's downtown is as safe as any other area in this city. My partner and I regularly walk around here and to Gore Park, even at night. My friend lives above the French, and she walks and goes on runs alone at 1am through the Gore Park area too. Homeless people aren't murderers.

But yes, it will be good for the city as a whole, and the downtown especially for there to be thousands not hundreds of new or existing residents. I find many people moving into these condos seem to typically be young Hamiltonian couples who want to live downtown but downtown but can't afford a full home, and don't want to live in some of the less maintained condos and apartments.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 2:48 AM

Man if you don't think the Gore park and the surrounding area can be a bit shady, especially in the evening, you're living in some sort of imaginary utopia of your own. It's ok to be a bit critical of our city, it's how we improve it.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Man if you don't think the Gore park and the surrounding area can be a bit shady, especially in the evening, you're living in some sort of imaginary utopia of your own. It's ok to be a bit critical of our city, it's how we improve it.
A couple dudes asking for change isn't shady. There are other areas of the city I am legitimately worried to be alone in, Gore Park is not one of them. My 5'3" partner is not afraid of Gore Park. Maybe it's because Gore has a rep you remember that she wouldn't since she's newer to Hamilton, but nothing about Gore is worrisome.

If you look at crime data maps, Gore Park and the surrounding 3 blocks haven't had a crime other than a car robbery in the last 7 months, while the downtown has been quietest, which J know because we go for daily walks at 10:30PM around this exact area. Perhaps your perception of Gore Park area is one where it's reputation precedes it. In reality it is an incredibly safe neighborhood. I have 5 female friends, two of which live alone in this area, and have no issues or worries.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton