HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Royal Connaught Phase III in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Hamilton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 9:13 PM
Ham-burgher

I much prefer the "darker" version.

It would have been nice to see something that complements the original hotel better. E.g., grey "stone" above the podium, similar in colour and window styles to the 1931 addition, with some setbacks on the upper floors and maybe a light feature on the crown (the podium does look really promising, if the materials are good).

I get that the market isn't there yet for the kind of expense that may entail, but this is pretty generic above the podium. I don't mind it at all, but it's nothing special.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 9:43 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I much prefer the "darker" version.

It would have been nice to see something that complements the original hotel better. E.g., grey "stone" above the podium, similar in colour and window styles to the 1931 addition, with some setbacks on the upper floors and maybe a light feature on the crown (the podium does look really promising, if the materials are good).

I get that the market isn't there yet for the kind of expense that may entail, but this is pretty generic above the podium. I don't mind it at all, but it's nothing special.
I think most of us are just happy the podium looks the way it does - the first 6 floors is all anyone really sees from the ground anyways - so it will be beautiful

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 9:43 PM

I don't get the brick balconies either. Not going to get much of a view when you're sitting down out there. Plus it'll block some light from coming into the unit.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 9:48 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
I don't get the brick balconies either. Not going to get much of a view when you're sitting down out there. Plus it'll block some light from coming into the unit.
Yeah they are kinda weird..

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Didn't say you were, in fact I am. You're surprisingly positive on this one.

The views would be spectacular once you get to the last 1/3rd of the building.
if there is one thing you should know about me by now is that if it involves any sort of craftsmanship I am all there. In all honesty I was with the rest of you with the "white" render - it was just too busy, but the black really makes those "L" pieces jut out more - that and the little red glass design on the balconies going up is a cool touch

and yeah it's kinda cookie cutter generic like everything else from the podium up, but the reality is it's really the only one of its kind in the gore (atm) and it does match the penthouse suites they added on top of the connaught.. so eh... could be better, could be worse, but I am not gnashing my teeth looking at it - so.. I'll take it. It's somewhere in the middle of vranich and core urban/liuna.

(I do hope they reconsider those brick balconies though - maybe just replace it with dark tinted glass there for visual difference)

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 9:56 PM
Ham-burgher

The red balcony glass doesn't make much sense to me either. It's not there on the grey version of the render, however.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 10:06 PM
It's Hammer Time

When I saw the rendering, I thought the building was like a V shape building. It looks like it gets wider the further you look up. Which I thought was pretty cool.

However, it looks like that was just my eyes.

I agree the proposed building looks a bit too much. I see the glass, and what looks like bricks for the balcony? There are too many different colours. I prefer clean lines and minimal use of colours. Too bad, there isn't a unique rooftop.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 10:08 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
When I saw the rendering, I thought the building was like a V shape building. It looks like it gets wider the further you look up. Which I thought was pretty cool.

However, it looks like that was just my eyes.
I think it was just the way the perspective was drawn, purposely.

On the plus side, having a tall "companion" near Landmark Place will enhance the skyline... and perhaps draw some attention away from that old beast.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 10:08 PM
Forever forward.

I wouldn't get too attached to the iteration in the dark rendering. It appears that is from February and the white rendering is from May.

The black trim did look better but considering it will likely end up as precast... I wouldn't have great confidence that it turns out all that well. At the end of the day it would have been little consolation for the rest of the bad design decisions.

The building suffers from a particularly bad case of "more materials = better design" fallacy that plagues so many modern proposals.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 10:16 PM
Ham-burgher

Double post

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 10:18 PM
Ham-burgher

Downtown Hamilton could stand to be home to a sibling of One St. Thomas in Toronto.

RC3 was an opportunity for that. Yeah, it's not Yorkville, but wouldn't something similar to this be grand on the site? More moderne than Moderne?

Source

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 11:59 PM

No pyramid? That would have been cool.

I'd prefer to have this new building sited at the south-east corner of the block so as not to crowd the Connaught. The plaza out front (and the rest of Gore Park) could wrap around that corner leading up to the new building.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 10:10 AM

St Thomas is such a great little street. 1 St Thomas's neighbour, number 7 is another great little gem (and an excellent example of how to appropriately add on to an existing heritage structure)

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 6:06 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
No pyramid? That would have been cool.
Remember this beauty? The first floater Harry dropped into the bowl when he came to town... his Thousand Foot dream.

Source

Wikiwiki

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 7:34 PM
Hammer'd

Ah that was a simpler time for the hammer. A time when you could stroll into town and convince people that you were going to build a 100 story glass pyramid amongst several blocks of boarded up buildings.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 11:20 PM

I like that wavy building up there.

Oh well, back to reality. No waves. No pyramids. Just, ya know...

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 2:25 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I like that wavy building up there.

Oh well, back to reality. No waves. No pyramids. Just, ya know...
I prefer the building behind it to the right of it

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 1:21 AM

You're brand new to the building but you have the renderings first? interesting....... how many fake accounts are allowed on this forum?

Please share with us if the poor owners will be charged a hidden fee to the developer to "ingress" into these amenities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by escolt45 View Post
Hi everyone,

Here are the renders,

All credit should be given to the RC3 development team. This looks great IMO. That corner and the existing RC towers are definitely add some much needed upscale living to the downtown area. I hope that some great restaurants/businesses fill in the ground floor commercial spaces.

Last edited by CondoOwner20; Dec 4, 2020 at 2:15 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 4:11 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CondoOwner20 View Post
You're brand new to the building but you have the renderings first? interesting....... how many fake accounts are allowed on this forum?

Please share with us if the poor owners will be charged a hidden fee to the developer to "ingress" into these amenities?

This makes me lol, why are you so cynical? Me living in the building has nothing to do with me getting access to the renders. And why would I use a fake account.

If you really must know, I used the initial link to the development website that some other poster provided to access the back end and unpublished/hidden pages of their site and downloaded the content. It's pretty simple when the marketing firm they hired doesn't practice website security best practices and allows all their content to be exposed.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escolt45 View Post
This makes me lol, why are you so cynical? Me living in the building has nothing to do with me getting access to the renders. And why would I use a fake account.

If you really must know, I used the initial link to the development website that some other poster provided to access the back end and unpublished/hidden pages of their site and downloaded the content. It's pretty simple when the marketing firm they hired doesn't practice website security best practices and allows all their content to be exposed.
hamilton23?

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
hamilton23?
Why would anyone care who any of us are? Especially individuals that post information that the rest of us value?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton