HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I would not say that everybody is negative. It is more that the negative voices are more pronounced. It is noticeable in NS compared to around here. The extremists like Tim Bousquet or Peggy Cameron don't exist in the same way and don't get the same level of prominence, and the mushier middle of people (aligned roughly with Reddit, complaining about all condos etc.) is somewhat smaller.

I feel like Halifax "gets it from all angles" because of the combination of rivalry or jealousy and rural orientation within the region (made more intense by the fact that it's a kind of regional hub of an area with multiple provinces or regional identities) coupled with uninformed opinions from outside. This is noticeable on SSP Canada which I realize is not an accurate reflection of the real world. There's probably more negative posting about the city from people living elsewhere than direct posting from residents, and it is hard to offer even mild dissenting opinions without getting drawn into competitive battles that I would guess most people find unpleasant. It gets really bizarre with people from around the country following the news in other places to post negative stuff or taking potshots after somebody posts pictures. SSP Canada also has the more general problem of rising political polarization and the animus that brings.
Thanks. That's well-put, and I appreciate the context.

I have regularly seen you on SSP Canada trying to straighten out the misconceptions that many ROC posters have about the Maritimes. I've tried at times but with much less success, and then it starts over again...

Some of that drives me to perhaps be a little oversensitive when I hear references to the same old dogma regarding 'culture of defeat' et al. I feel that 30 years ago it was very strong, but simply do not see it as an accurate descriptor for the province anymore, although as noted others will disagree.

But... again... opinions, and all I can share is my personal outlook, which doesn't always align with others'.

I tend to sluff off Bousquet and Cameron (and things like Frank Magazine, if it still exists), in that I will hear what they have to say, but when it becomes repetitive sensationalized nonsense looking to establish an angle and an ear to listen/a person to piss off and thus create buzz for them, I turn it off - seems like a waste of time and energy to me. There's lots of stuff in the world like that (as seen on the internet), but I suppose I didn't realize that it doesn't exist in the ROC, or at least to the extent that it does here (?). FWIW, I've never given any time to gossip either...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure