HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:01 PM

New Apartment Database Needed?

As someone who is currently in search of an apartment in Halifax, preferably a new build, it would be extremely helpful if there was a resource that provided detailed information on pricing, occupancy dates, unit layouts, and building amenities for all the new apartment buildings going up. Having to email so many different rental agents (some of them are quite cagey about giving out information) is getting frustrating. I'm sure there is a lot of dynamic pricing that goes on, so I doubt the developers would support such a concept but perhaps it could be something crowd sourced where people can enter information that they receive and build a database.

Does something like this exist? And if not, does someone want to build it? Please

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haligonian88 View Post
As someone who is currently in search of an apartment in Halifax, preferably a new build, it would be extremely helpful if there was a resource that provided detailed information on pricing, occupancy dates, unit layouts, and building amenities for all the new apartment buildings going up. Having to email so many different rental agents (some of them are quite cagey about giving out information) is getting frustrating. I'm sure there is a lot of dynamic pricing that goes on, so I doubt the developers would support such a concept but perhaps it could be something crowd sourced where people can enter information that they receive and build a database.

Does something like this exist? And if not, does someone want to build it? Please
A ViewPoint for apartments would be pretty sweet. I'm not sure how it would be done though. I can't imagine there's a lot of incentive for apartment owners to contribute to a resource that would create free market conditions with perfect information. I.e. where apartments are compared on hard facts rather than the sales pitch and advertising.

ViewPoint was able to do it because all those hard facts already existed in the MLS database. They just managed to put that info in a much more usable format.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
A ViewPoint for apartments would be pretty sweet. I'm not sure how it would be done though. I can't imagine there's a lot of incentive for apartment owners to contribute to a resource that would create free market conditions with perfect information. I.e. where apartments are compared on hard facts rather than the sales pitch and advertising.

ViewPoint was able to do it because all those hard facts already existed in the MLS database. They just managed to put that info in a much more usable format.
I know of PadMapper, but it has a very annoying way of publishing AirBNB rentals as apartments. What other functionality would you be looking for?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 2:36 AM
Steven Courchene

Velo apartments for the win!!!

Honestly right now velo,st. Joseph square,maple are in my opinion two of the best new apartment buildings!!! Best of look on your search

Steven Courchene

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencourchene View Post
Honestly right now velo,st. Joseph square,maple are in my opinion two of the best new apartment buildings!!! Best of look on your search
I’m in Monaghan and although it’s not an architectural gem on the outside (although not bad) it’s is a stunning building with great units and better prices than St Joseph’s (which is ultra high end) and the property company is great so far... which is worth a lot after having dealt with some property management companies that would best be described as gangster-run criminal empires.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 12:19 PM

Rentdonkey.ca basically does what you are asking for.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General