HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Is there an Ethics code that says that a coucillor cannot bring forth a constituent(s)'s concern, and be present if an appeal of the complaint is being heard? If the answer is yes, then I agree with you. If not...
Colin, there is a building, that is 1/2 block from both of us. I have called to complain about unsightly premises there for years, and still it declines. I think that the real disgrace in Halifax is that staff have their hands tied by an inadequate/toothless enforcement program.
A councillor can bring forth a complaint from a person and be present at an appeal. Sitting in judgement on an issue where you have already expressed an opinion or have a pecuniary interest is not allowed. The Appeals Committee is required to be impartial and make decisions based on evidence. The mistake was in sending an email where she clearly viewed this issue in a negative light.
When council considers a planning application the members are supposed to refrain from discussing the project with the proponent and anyone who supports or opposes an application.
I think the unsightly premises aspect of legislation should be scrapped, the aspects relating to 'dangerous' should be maintained. If you want to paint your property in a multitude of colours that is none of my business, and if you don't want to paint your home that is none of my business.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
A councillor can bring forth a complaint from a person and be present at an appeal. Sitting in judgement on an issue where you have already expressed an opinion or have a pecuniary interest is not allowed. The Appeals Committee is required to be impartial and make decisions based on evidence. The mistake was in sending an email where she clearly viewed this issue in a negative light.
When council considers a planning application the members are supposed to refrain from discussing the project with the proponent and anyone who supports or opposes an application.
I think the unsightly premises aspect of legislation should be scrapped, the aspects relating to 'dangerous' should be maintained. If you want to paint your property in a multitude of colours that is none of my business, and if you don't want to paint your home that is none of my business.
I understand your point, Colin, and agree. It is a nuance, but a very important one, in that any committee that is placing judgement on a situation must remain impartial. Of course we are all human and all have opinions, but when in the position of "judge", we must put our personal opinions aside and make a judgement purely based on the facts/evidence presented.

In writing and/or verbalizing as such, then we are indicating that we are not able to put our opinions aside and remain truly impartial. Therefore the judgement process is not purely honest, and thus the problem with this case.

Thanks for presenting your point of view, it has helped me understand the process a little better.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
It's from The Green Mile, it's a great line. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpE6tmau7jQ
It is, and I will use it...

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I understand your point, Colin, and agree. It is a nuance, but a very important one, in that any committee that is placing judgement on a situation must remain impartial. Of course we are all human and all have opinions, but when in the position of "judge", we must put our personal opinions aside and make a judgement purely based on the facts/evidence presented.

In writing and/or verbalizing as such, then we are indicating that we are not able to put our opinions aside and remain truly impartial. Therefore the judgement process is not purely honest, and thus the problem with this case.

Thanks for presenting your point of view, it has helped me understand the process a little better.
Thank you. When election time rolls around I will judge Gloria on her overall performance, a few mistakes are not enough reason to bin her. At least she doesn't just sit there and go with the flow of staff and the CAO.
The upside of this issue is clear, councillors have been reminded to be careful what they say and write about issues that will come before them when they sit in quasi-judicial position.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy