HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 11:14 PM

I don’t mind the look of the rusty ship hulls as a theme at the park but I do find the craftsmanship to be a bit subpar. I would like to see cleaner lines and this work is simply not.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I don't mind the rusty look... once other things are built or installed or planted it won't be so striking. But, those panels will be a taggers paradise.

The loungers do look comfy though.

The tree planting was photographed in today's Spec:

https://www.thespec.com/photos/2021/...aterfront.html
If broken windows theory holds any water whatsoever, then we're unlikely to see much tagging in this area.

Could be wrong, though, so let's run the experiment and see how it goes.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 1:30 AM

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 3:09 AM

This steel was developed by Stelco in the 60. It is designed to rust to a darker colour and be low maintenance. It has and is being used on bridges so they do not have to be repainted every few years. This is what is on the Stelco tower in Jackson Square and is the colour it will eventually become with time and weather.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 9:28 AM
Burger Connoisseur

Anyone remember the movie Demotion Man they had anti-graffiti defenses that automatically activated as soon as someone tried spray painting a wall. Yeah we need that or a Robocop patrolling lol. I completely agree with Berklon I fucking hate taggers and if I could go all Thanos and snap my fingers I would do away with that blight on society lol.

I really hope these don't get ruined....

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 8:46 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
Anyone remember the movie Demotion Man they had anti-graffiti defenses that automatically activated as soon as someone tried spray painting a wall. Yeah we need that or a Robocop patrolling lol. I completely agree with Berklon I fucking hate taggers and if I could go all Thanos and snap my fingers I would do away with that blight on society lol.

I really hope these don't get ruined....
Or a group of "concerned citizens" with non-lethal projectile weapons and itchy trigger fingers.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 4:32 PM
It's Hammer Time

Preview of the major changes underway at Hamilton’s waterfront

https://www.chch.com/preview-of-the-...5A0TF-mvXzF4Vk

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 5:31 PM

thanks. The public realm elements are really coming together - there really is a ton going on.

Looking forward to seeing the condos come and really activating the space.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 6:25 PM
Ham-burgher

It would be great if the city hosts some festivals or outdoor concerts on all that space once the promenade is completed, or allows some other organization to do so. The entire pier area I mean, not just what's at the water's edge.

If it may be a couple of years before development happens, that's a whole lotta land that will just be sitting there.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 7:46 PM

Quote:
It would be great if the city hosts some festivals or outdoor concerts on all that space once the promenade is completed, or allows some other organization to do so. The entire pier area I mean, not just what's at the water's edge.

If it may be a couple of years before development happens, that's a whole lotta land that will just be sitting there.
The land that's there would need to be graded, as right now it's full of dangerous metal, concrete, sinkholes, massive hills, and other debris. It would be costly to do all the work prior to starting construction on the actual developments.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 7:59 PM
Ham-burgher

Well then... just the promenade and the areas that are already people-friendly.

The new roads are drive-able but not serving anything yet so I don't know if they're actually "open." Could they be used for parking?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 1:02 AM

Fabulous.

I'm excited about the residential development, too. The sticker shock will be extreme, though...

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:48 AM

I am at a loss as to why exactly there are not multiple sites being marketed for residential development in the blocks. In a red hot market and in what be portrayed as a location with loads of future potential, the units should be flying off the shelf.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 2:34 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
I am at a loss as to why exactly there are not multiple sites being marketed for residential development in the blocks. In a red hot market and in what be portrayed as a location with loads of future potential, the units should be flying off the shelf.
None of this has reached that point yet.

From a June 9 Spec story:
The city only recently finalized its agreement with development consortium Waterfront Shores, a process that was delayed in part by a long-running tribunal appeal by North End residents over the planned pier makeover.

The consortium hopes to launch presales and provide more project information this fall, said Joe Valela, a principal with consortium partner Tercot Communities. Visible condo construction is likely still a year or two away.

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...struction.html

Waterfront Shores won the right to develop it based on their plan, but I would think they still have to go through the approval process for the individual buildings they proposed.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Aug 5, 2021 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 2:59 PM

I think it'll be closer to 10-15 years before all of the plots have buildings on them

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:09 PM

The fact that there is an individual approval process is good for me at least because it gives us, and the city a chance to force commercial units facing the water. I cannot believe there is not a single cafe or restaurant on the street facing the water.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:17 PM

The zoning is already in place here, the buildings would simply have to undergo site plan approval, which is a more technical process.

The one exception is the contemplated tower, speaking of which, has it's urban design guidelines in front of planning committee next week.

https://pub-hamilton.escribemeetings...umentId=279438

It's very odd to me to see an entire design guideline for a single building.. it's very focused and seems over the top to me. Still, interesting to see.

The tower notably exceeds the escarpment height limit, but does not exceed the geodetic height of Landmark Place.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:35 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
The fact that there is an individual approval process is good for me at least because it gives us, and the city a chance to force commercial units facing the water. I cannot believe there is not a single cafe or restaurant on the street facing the water.
It would be a huge missed opportunity if they're not included, especially along the waterfront and the bases of the buildings that will be next to the new entryway park.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:54 PM

That was a insightful look into the new boardwalk. Wasn't aware of the pier 6/7 boardwalk being developed too, which will really help stretch public spaces and integrate all the way from pier 8/9 to pier 4, etc., by the looks of it.

Gets you excited for the future of the waterfront.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:55 PM

Quote:
It would be a huge missed opportunity if they're not included, especially along the waterfront and the bases of the buildings that will be next to the new entryway park.
100% this

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues