HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 2:57 PM
Community Guy

Urban Reserves in Edmonton

https://www.edmonton.ca/city_governm...=urbanreserves

Jaimy Miller
(She/Her) • 2nd
Director, Indigenous Relations at City of Edmonton
1w • 1 week ago
This morning, the Executive Committee of City Council unanimously approved an Urban Reserve Strategy for the City of Edmonton. Check out the news release for more information, including quotes from Treaty 6 Grand Chief Okimaw Vernon Watchmaker and Enoch Cree Nation Chief Billy Morin

----

FAQs
What are Urban Reserves and why is Edmonton developing this strategy?

An urban reserve is land designated as a First Nation reserve within an urban centre. Urban reserves are established by federally-recognized First Nations through the federal Addition-to-Reserve/Reserve Creation policy.

First Nations, as with all governments, desire to create economic development opportunities and provide services to enhance the quality of life of their citizens or preserve cultural linkages. First Nations need to ensure access to resources and services to their citizens, and today many of those services are offered most efficiently in centres such as municipalities. In some cases, First Nations also seek to acquire lands that have cultural significance. Urban reserves can greatly spur First Nations economic development as they allow First Nations to access economic opportunities that may be unavailable on existing reserve lands.

The City of Edmonton is responding to increased inquiries and calls for urban reserves, including Indigenous economic development opportunities and service provision by First Nations for their members in Edmonton. Additionally, the federal government has a newer, more streamlined approach to urban reserve creation and this may lead to more interest and inquiries.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 2:58 PM
Community Guy

'A big hairy goal would be acquiring land in the Quarters [the neighbourhood just east of downtown Edmonton], which has had a vision for development for a long time [but] hasn't taken off.

It can be established as an urban reserve, which would attract new investment for a specific, Indigenous kind of development: housing, social supports, maybe some new government and servicing arms, new servicing options for multiple First Nations and treaty organizations, right downtown.'
https://techlifetoday.ca/articles/20...-urban-reserve

Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 3:07 PM
Community Guy

A portion of Blatchford also makes sense.

'Or, maybe a reserve such as Enoch or some of the reserves from up north around Treaty 8 acquire a piece of land by NAIT and build residential for their students. If they had a place they can call home that has some kokums and some mushums – which are grandmother and grandfather – they can feel a little bit more comfortable.'

Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 7:00 PM

^ ^^
neither make nearly as much sense as rossdale including the power plant…

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 1:10 AM
Community Guy

That's the more obvious one, yes.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 3:06 PM

..or the old Camsell hospital site

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
..or the old Camsell hospital site
Is anything happening there? I haven't seen any talk for a long time

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogie View Post
Is anything happening there? I haven't seen any talk for a long time
Yes, Dub started working in the old hospital building, but has not finished the new residential section on the north side. Work has slowed on site as the do ground scanning on the east side.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 6:44 PM

I’m sure they will want their new Rez far away from the camsell, bad vibes there. The quarters seems like a good location. It’s a blank slate near services. Rossdale including an old damp mildewy power factory and a long climb up the hill, definitely not.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 6:47 PM
Community Guy

You could not smudge the Camsell enough.

As for Rossdale, its location, history, meeting place and prime redevelopment potential would be very attractive.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 7:18 PM

With a potential gondola station if that ever gets built, it's not a bad place. The area's been neglected by the city for decades and I don't see the area's plans built to its full potential under the city. Let the Indigineous community open to fresh ideas with less red tape plus a desire for extra revenue partner up with a developer to do something cool.

Even without the gondola, I've walked up that hill many times and it's not all that bad, and the number 9 bus is there.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 1:02 PM
Community Guy

6.1 Urban Reserve Strategy
The following members of Administration’s delegation made a presentation:
 R. Smyth, Deputy City Manager, Citizen Services
 J. Miller, Citizen Services
 S. McCabe, Deputy City Manager, Urban Planning and Economy
The following public speaker made a presentation and answered questions:
 Grand Chief V. Watchmaker, Confederacy of Treaty Six First Nations The following member of Administration’s delegation answered questions:
 J. Miller, Citizen Services Moved by: S. Hamilton
That Executive Committee recommend to City Council:
That the Urban Reserve Strategy, as set out in Attachment 1 of the June 28, 2021, Citizen Services report CS00349, be approved.
In Favour (5): D. Iveson, S. McKeen, T. Cartmell, S. Hamilton, and M. Walters
Carried (5 to 0)
https://pub-edmonton.escribemeetings...umentId=108779

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 2:38 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton's first urban reserve in the works following agreement with Kehewin Cree Nation
Author of the articleustin Cook
Publishing date:Sep 15, 2021

Edmonton could soon be home to its first urban First Nations reserve following an agreement with Kehwein Cree Nation.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...in-cree-nation

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 1:31 AM
Community Guy

Not exclusive to urban reserves by any means; great to see the diversity of partnerships that are not only growing, but prospering.

---

ULI Canada: Indigenous City Building: Signature projects in Canadian cities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFpj42BAGoA

Old Posted Apr 17, 2022, 3:32 PM
Community Guy

Bigstone Cree Nation working with City of Edmonton to establish new urban reserve
April 14, 2022

The City of Edmonton and Bigstone Cree Nation are taking steps to establish a new urban reserve within city limits. A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) will go before the City’s Community and Public Services Committee on April 25, 2022 to begin the work.

“Bigstone Cree Nation is proud to work with the City of Edmonton on the urban reserve work. An urban reserve will not only benefit my members, but also a huge benefit to Indigenous economic opportunities,” said Chief Silas Yellowknee, Bigstone Cree Nation. “This will include Indigenous independence and self-governance, promoting innovation, creating community connections, contributing to the local economy with municipal service agreements that will be a win-win for both Governments.”

Through collaboration with the City of Edmonton, Bigstone Cree Nation hopes to find new ways of improving the health and well-being of its members who reside in the city—and contribute to the vitality of the community overall.

“The City of Edmonton is proud to partner with Bigstone Cree Nation on establishing an urban reserve. We believe there are many growth and development opportunities that can come through collaboration, and a sense of mutual prosperity that comes with urban reserves like this. This collaboration is reconciliation in action,” said City of Edmonton Mayor Amarjeet Sohi.

While establishing an urban reserve is largely a process between the Government of Canada and a First Nation, the municipality has an important role to play in being an interdependent partner. The City of Edmonton passed an Urban Reserve Strategy in the summer of 2021 to help guide its work with First Nations interested in establishing urban reserves in Edmonton.

Today, there are over 120 urban reserves across Canada, from small urban centres like Portage La Prairie to large cities like Vancouver, with the first being established in Saskatoon by Muskeg Lake Cree Nation in 1988. These urban reserves have generated numerous economic development and revenue opportunities for both the First Nation and the municipality.

If approved, this MOU begins a formal working relationship between the two parties, including the development of a Municipal Services Agreement (MSA) which details servicing requirements, land use compatibility and fees for servicing—in lieu of property taxes.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/urbanreserves
Urban Reserves - Backgrounder

Media contact:
Francis Asuncion
Communications Advisor
City of Edmonton
780-903-2647

Chief Silas Yellowknee
Bigstone Cree Nation
780-891-0441

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton