HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 4:30 AM

Should I be surprised that Mike Nickel voted against the gondola? After all, this is a private enterprise footing the bill without any cost to the taxpayers.

Something else to remember in October when it's time to vote for a new mayor.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 7:05 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Should I be surprised that Mike Nickel voted against the gondola? After all, this is a private enterprise footing the bill without any cost to the taxpayers.

Something else to remember in October when it's time to vote for a new mayor.
Mike Nickel is surprisingly a strong advocate for green space over (almost) anything else, so the fact that there are gondola opponents in the city and a group that spoke against cutting down a few trees for its construction presented a perfect time for him to say 'no'.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Mike Nickel is surprisingly a strong advocate for green space over (almost) anything else, so the fact that there are gondola opponents in the city and a group that spoke against cutting down a few trees for its construction presented a perfect time for him to say 'no'.
Its a head scratcher as to why he voted against this. To me it makes no sense.

I'm actually going to email him and get his take on this.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 4:56 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Its a head scratcher as to why he voted against this. To me it makes no sense.

I'm actually going to email him and get his take on this.
Hopefully he hasn't blocked you like he's done to the majority of residents on social media!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Hopefully he hasn't blocked you like he's done to the majority of residents on social media!
Blocking people on social media places Mike Nickel on par with Donald Trump and Jason Kenney.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 9:16 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Blocking people on social media places Mike Nickel on par with Donald Trump and Jason Kenney.
Easily.

Hopefully fellow Edmontonians heed the warnings of how the Trump presidency governed and current Provincial government are governing before voting for a new mayor.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Uh huh. I guess I've been tarred and feathered with them just because I've needed to use the Ignore function with a few temperamental people on this very website?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 11:10 PM

Stop getting it twisted....Trump and Kenny have NOTHING to do with Nickle.

TDS still around living rent free in the minds of some. He has ZERO to do with our municipal election lol. Let it go.

I did actually talk to him about this yesterday. But i see how this thread is starting to go. I am not getting caught up in this again...No way.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 11:44 PM

Who or what is TDS?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 7:36 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Who or what is TDS?
I wondered that as well

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 7:48 PM

^ ^^

i'm assuming he's abbreviating 'trump derangement syndrome".

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 9:04 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Stop getting it twisted....Trump and Kenny have NOTHING to do with Nickle.

TDS still around living rent free in the minds of some. He has ZERO to do with our municipal election lol. Let it go.

I did actually talk to him about this yesterday. But i see how this thread is starting to go. I am not getting caught up in this again...No way.
No connection... nothing at all. /s

https://globalnews.ca/news/4684381/e...omination-bid/

https://calgaryherald.com/news/polit...-funding-rules

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 9:11 PM
Change is good

"Nickel made an unsuccessful bid for the United Conservative Party nomination in Edmonton-South ahead of the 2019 provincial election, claiming then that he had accomplished all he could in municipal politics."

https://daveberta.ca/2021/01/mike-ni...-a-third-time/

However, since that failed... It's time for him to run for mayor again.

But he's got no connection to the UCP <chuckles> ....

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 2:47 AM

Cheryll Watson has introduced a new platform for downtown
https://www.cheryllwatson.ca/platform

Quote:
The Problem

The saying “so goes your downtown, so goes your city” came from the awareness that downtowns are the economic engines of a city. They are the centres in which our social connections generate new ideas, innovations, and ventures. Downtowns are the heart of a city.

Twenty years ago it was said that, “Our region’s portal to the world is downtown Edmonton, whether we live or work in Ottewell, Glenora, St. Albert, Fort Saskatchewan or even Leduc or Nisku — it is by our downtown that our entire region will be judged and measured.”

So many of the people I talk to tell me that our downtown is in rough shape. With the COVID-19 pandemic, tens of thousands of office employees and post-secondary students are working and studying in their homes. Every day we see downtown businesses closing their doors and there are temporary restrictions on the things that make Downtown so special—nightlife, events, dining and gathering for experiences. While vaccines are in sight, it’s going to be a long time before we see the kind of vibrancy and commerce that is key to the success of not only downtown, but to Edmonton as a whole.

Without a thriving downtown, and its enormous impact to the entire region and province, we are in for years of economic hardships and we risk losing the incredible gains we’ve had evolving and developing our core.

The Policy

Designate 109 Street to 97 Street and 104 Ave to 100 Ave as Edmonton’s Central Business Neighbourhood (CBN) and enable the following to catalyze business, support an innovation ecosystem, simplify and accelerate market driven development, and encourage more people to visit and stay downtown.

Business Made Simple

Business licencing and development processes have service level agreements that include: 1) A commitment to two week response turnarounds 2) Expedited approvals within two months 3) An escalation process for complex issues
Removal of the barriers preventing alleyway and unconventional space uses, winter patios and outdoor retail and hospitality
One-year moratorium on business license fees for small and medium enterprises

Enabling Technology

Work with partners to provide high-speed internet fibre throughout the CBN
Free Wi-Fi and public charging stations in designated public spaces
Downtown designated as a new technology and innovation test area

Pathways that Work to Connect

365 year round cleanup / snow removal for main street, sidewalks and active transportation pathways
Deliberate and accelerated construction planning and implementation to reduce the impact on surrounding businesses
Completed connections and integration of the multi-use pathway network
User designed wayfinding, detour planning, communications and signage

Transportation Serves the Core

Free LRT/bus within the CBN
Discounted LRT/bus travel during evenings and weekends from suburban areas to downtown *upon completion of the Smart Fare program
Free 1-hour street parking - 7 days a week *excludes event dates and egress boundaries
Standardized ‘Parking’ signage for all parking lots designed to be visible to the driver
Improved user experience and upgraded epark platform encompassing all parking within the CBN

Integrated Partnerships for Impact

Dedicated - 7 day a week / 8 am to midnight - crisis and safety supports – Peace Officers & social worker units dedicated to CBN and area
Bolster the DBA to enable them to 1) Work with CBN businesses, partners and the Neighbourhood Empowerment Team (NET) to facilitate and create community solutions to downtown vibrancy, night time experience and social disorder issues 2) Lead a dedicated stakeholder team of downtown business owners and residents to expedite concerns and complaints to City Administration
Accessible and safe public washrooms
Dedicated public space cleanup: Pocket Parks, LRT Stairwells, Bus Stops
Shared commitment to improved lighting and safety of public and private parking lots

The Outcome

A vibrant, thriving business district in the heart of our city, one that Edmontonians are proud of. More residents see downtown as an appealing and exciting place to spend time in. Our city’s streamlined permitting and licensing services enable entrepreneurs to set-up and grow their businesses in our city’s core. Our engaged technology and innovation community feels the value of the community connections and collisions, which result in new ideas and partnerships. The events, nightlife, restaurants, arts and culture breathe life into our heart and demonstrate the DNA of our city. The central neighbourhood of Edmonton looks better, is safer and welcoming to visitors from across our city, the region and around the world.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Cheryll Watson has introduced a new platform for downtown
https://www.cheryllwatson.ca/platform
There's some good policy there. It's not costed, I wonder what the investment would be.
I'm not opposed to investment, it does address some areas of struggle around cleanliness and dysfunction.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 5:05 AM

^^

if i could only pick two things to add:

1. there would be a concerted effort by the city to keep downtown streets and sidewalks open. at the moment if you had to write a brand statement for downtown it would be “this is downtown – regardless of where you are or where you want to go, you can’t get there from here”).

2. the defined area for downtown should include everything in the dba’s statutory boundaries. as the policy is written, it would exclude the arena, epcor tower, cn tower, the royal alberta museum, and the quarters between 97th and 95th Streets (which includes the brownlee building, the downtown farmers market, fire hall number 1 and the main police station etc.).

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 4:30 PM
Community Guy

^I agree.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
There's some good policy there. It's not costed, I wonder what the investment would be.
I'm not opposed to investment, it does address some areas of struggle around cleanliness and dysfunction.
The 90s called. They want their neo-liberal subsidies back.

Where is the talk about active transportation, the natural realm, and quality of life?

Where is the talk about providing equal access to services for those who actually live in downtown, as opposed to just making it easier for rich suburbanites to occupy space for free with their big honking SUVs?

Where is the talk about converting the Quarters into a populated neighbourhood?

CW's policy is DOA.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 10:28 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post

Where is the talk about active transportation, the natural realm, and quality of life?

Where is the talk about providing equal access to services for those who actually live in downtown, as opposed to just making it easier for rich suburbanites to occupy space for free with their big honking SUVs?

CW's policy is DOA.
What is neo-liberal about wanting to prioritize the overall appearance of Downtown, such as through focused litter removal, infrastructure maintenance and cleaning, etc.? That is one policy I am on board 100% with, given our Downtown never really has had those prioritized relative to the rest of the city as far as I'm aware.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post

CW's policy is DOA.
Out of 6 points you focused on only the parking didn't you?

That says more about you than the policy doesn't it?

This shows policy that makes downtown a better place to live, to work and functionally it's supposed to be the hub of the city which means making it easy and attractive to get to and get around.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton