HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 1:28 AM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Those of you living in Metrotown - how do you like the area? I would like to know what is Metrotown like when you live there? I have been to Metrotown dozens of times, but it has always been just a brief visit and during daytime.

How safe is Metrotown (not the mall) in the evening or during the night? Do women dare to go jogging alone on the residential streets? How about Central Park? Is it completely safe during day or in the evening? What type of crime is typical in the area and how does it fare crime wise against rest of Burnaby?

What are your favorite things to do during weekends and in the evening? Excluding whatever Metropolis has, what else there is to do in the area? With all the new development in recent years, is the streetscape getting any busier or are all the people concentrated inside the mall?

How busy is Skytrain in the morning, when commuting to Downtown? Is it still convenient or is it so crowded with people that it is already uncomfortable?

Lastly, do you think that Metrotown is just a vertical bedroom community with a big mall, or does it have its own life and character?

I would really appreaciate comments from people living in the area to know it a bit better. Thanks!
I've been living on and off in Metrotown for 20 years. 20 years ago it was a bit of a rough neighborhood with trucker motels and the mall that closed at 5pm that would turn the area in unpleasant ghost town.

Nowadays it's much more affluent and lively given that the mall is open much longer. Mall still dominates everything and cuts the area in two. Some street life is starting to emerge with cafes that have been opening in the past 4-5 years. Most entertainment/restaurants/cafes are Asian themed or generic chains. Beyond going to cafe if I go out, I go either downtown or to New West. I actually find New West to be much more interesting neighborhood then Metrotown (particularly the river district - it has that seedy side that is fun with emerging new developments).

If I was single I would not live in Metrotown, but downtown. But since I have a kid the reason that Metrotown appeals to me is that:

1) I can have a bigger condo for my money
2) There are far better schools/ daycares then downtown
3) There is way more green space and parks that are not overrun by tourists.

Metrotown has gotten pretty safe. The south side with walk-ups used to be a bit of trouble zone. The north side was always fine. I go out at night and come back after midnight and I have never had a problem - but then again I am a man in my 40s so not much of a target...

Skytrain is fine even during rush hour. 50% of time I get a seat going downtown between 8:30 and 9am. It has gotten better ever since they started running 4 car MKII.

Let me know if anything else interests you...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 2:01 AM

Thank you, WBC. It is great to hear a current local's opinion on this. What's your take on Central Park and its safety in the evening?

Metrotown does indeed seem have huge Asian influence nowadays. The building we checked out this past Sunday seemed to have only Asian residents (nothing bad with that) and the parkade was full of German premium cars. So yeah, the area seems to be getting more affluent, it seems.

I hope there are no gangster living in those new towers, as I have understood being the case with some Surrey Central developments. Again, maybe I am completely incorrect on that and way overthinking this. just something that came to my mind.

Good to hear that the Skytrain is not as crowded as I had worried. I remember hearing many complaining about it in the past, but perhaps those were more for Canada Line (which I have seen being very busy even myself).

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 3:35 AM
Transit User

Quote:
Thank you, WBC. It is great to hear a current local's opinion on this. What's your take on Central Park and its safety in the evening?

Metrotown does indeed seem have huge Asian influence nowadays. The building we checked out this past Sunday seemed to have only Asian residents (nothing bad with that) and the parkade was full of German premium cars. So yeah, the area seems to be getting more affluent, it seems.

I hope there are no gangster living in those new towers, as I have understood being the case with some Surrey Central developments. Again, maybe I am completely incorrect on that and way overthinking this. just something that came to my mind.

Good to hear that the Skytrain is not as crowded as I had worried. I remember hearing many complaining about it in the past, but perhaps those were more for Canada Line (which I have seen being very busy even myself).
Central Park is in general OK. I am not aware on any major incidents lately...As early as 6am you will have people in it (old-timers doing Tai Chi, dancing, singing - you name it). I would avoid washrooms during quiet parts of the day as they are sometimes frequented by hobos and pervs...Would I run through it in the evening if I was a girl on my own? No, I would not, but that applies to any woodland park in my book...BTW, Bonsor rec center has running and walking groups that seem to be very popular and you can join them and get some company...

There is a lot of Asian families living in condo towers in Metrotown that is for sure...Frankly, I find them to be good neighbors and they have had positive influence on schools in the neighborhood. Sometimes they tend to be blissfully unaware of the rest of the BC though. An Asian neighbor of mine was shocked the first time she went to Vancouver Island and discovered a large Caucasian population living there... . There are some older non-rental buildings built in the 70s or 80s that feature a lot of retirees (the ones close to Central Park and the ones on Grange & Nelson). Some of those ban rentals and have anti-kid bylaws...

Gangsters, that is hard to say (hard to distinguish between spoiled kids and real things these days). You would probably have more of them Downtown then in Metrotown but who knows...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 6:34 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Central Park is totally fine (probably except washrooms maybe, yeah - they are quiet and a bit eerie, although I've never had a problem). I go walking there, play pitch and putt, and run in there a couple of days each week, even to about when the sun sets. Never any problems, except with aggressive squirrels.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i'm moving to vancouver island in two weeks! yay, i am leaving the frozen north of alberta and back to bc, scary expensive bc.

Anyway does anyone have any chef or cook contacts over there? am applying for jobs as a cook down in the cowichan valley nanaimo area and any leads would be great.
This was getting buried, but welcome back! I have not spent much time in the area, so I don't know what Nanaimo is really like. It seemed a bit quiet when I was there, but it was a weekend. I hope you like it and it is only a short ferry ride away from true civilization.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 8:24 PM

Damn it! Just when we are about to move out from our current building, it gets a cheap and super-fast Gigabit internet!

Urbanfibre offers a ridiculous 1000/1000Mbs internet for $79/month with no contract, no installation fee and unlimited data transfer. Better yet, they would be offering our current building an introductory promo pricing of $49/month. For a Gigabit internet!!

Check if you are lucky to live in one of the buildings these guys currently support. This is the future.

http://urbanfibre.ca/buildings/

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 8:43 PM

TELUS is allegedly rolling out fibre too. If they stick to this price point, let the good times roll. I'm on 50Mbps with Novus. There's no way I'm going anything slower in the future.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 9:31 PM

Emphasis on word "allegedly". These big players won't move a muscle before small players make them feel the heat. Same as in the US.

When I first moved here I had Telus, which was okay, but the support was crap. I was so happy that our previous place got Novus, as they have better pricing and their network is fast.

Unfortunately even Novus gets quite expensive with higher speeds and they are no match for Urbanfibre. I really wish more competion would help bring down the prices. We are paying so much for internet compared to Europe, for instance. Hopefully Trudeau's infrastructure investments will also help to bridge the gap.

Meanwhile, is there anyone currently enjoying 1 Gbps internet?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 11:45 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I have Gigabit at home and even faster at work... To be honest once you get to 100mbps I don't really notice much difference, you never think about it and everything feels near instantaneous.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 11:57 PM

^^^ Agree with that.

Novus is great for service. TELUS would have to make me a pretty attractive offer to consider switching.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 12:28 AM

https://fibre.telus.com/vancouver/availability/
https://fibre.telus.com/portcoquitlam/

Didn't realize this wasn't as well known. All of Vancouver proper shoooould have fibre to the house in the next year or two now that their proof of concept "Project Falcon" has gone well, dunno about the other parts of Vancouver. As far as I know they're hooking up the areas of Vancouver with the oldest copper that needs to be replaced as well as the newest neighborhoods that don't need as much work.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Those of you living in Metrotown - how do you like the area? I would like to know what is Metrotown like when you live there? I have been to Metrotown dozens of times, but it has always been just a brief visit and during daytime.

How safe is Metrotown (not the mall) in the evening or during the night? Do women dare to go jogging alone on the residential streets? How about Central Park? Is it completely safe during day or in the evening? What type of crime is typical in the area and how does it fare crime wise against rest of Burnaby?

What are your favorite things to do during weekends and in the evening? Excluding whatever Metropolis has, what else there is to do in the area? With all the new development in recent years, is the streetscape getting any busier or are all the people concentrated inside the mall?

How busy is Skytrain in the morning, when commuting to Downtown? Is it still convenient or is it so crowded with people that it is already uncomfortable?

Lastly, do you think that Metrotown is just a vertical bedroom community with a big mall, or does it have its own life and character?

I would really appreaciate comments from people living in the area to know it a bit better. Thanks!
I've lived in Metrotown for roughly five of the last seven years and I think it's a perfectly fine neighbourhood. It lacks the excitement and vibrancy of downtown or certain other Metro Vancouver neighbourhoods but it has all the day-to-day amenities one could need and is very conveniently located in the region with an excellent transit hub. It's also reasonably close to downtown, 15-20 minutes by SkyTrain compared to 30 mins for New West and 40+ for Surrey. It's also very convenient that it's directly on the Expo Line, because you don't have to change trains at an overcrowded Commercial-Broadway, unlike commuters from Brentwood or Lougheed.

As far as safety goes I think it's a pretty safe neighbourhood. I did get robbed by two guys at Patterson and Mayberry (right across the street from Central Park) at 10:30 on a weeknight last month, but other than that I've had no issues whatsoever in the five years I've spent walking around by myself at all times of the day and night throughout the neighbourhood. That mugging was an isolated incident that could've happened anywhere and it hasn't deterred me from continuing to enjoy the neighbourhood, day and night.

There are a bunch of homeless people in the neighbourhood and while they can look sketchy sometimes they've been harmless in my personal experience. By far the biggest safety concern I encounter on a daily basis are the drivers pulling in and out of the parking lots and strip malls in the area. It's a big urban area but still has some work to do with regards to pedestrian friendliness in some areas.

Aside from doing stuff at the mall, it's honestly not a particularly exciting neighbourhood. Central Park is great but otherwise it's just restaurants and mall stuff. Though it is nice to be able to live on a quiet street and then be in the middle of the "action" a block or two away. I imagine it's a bit more difficult to do that downtown.

As far as the SkyTrain goes, I commuted in and out of downtown Vancouver at rush hour everyday for about two years. I got on at Patterson and it was pretty crowded but it usually wasn't until a little further down the line that it would start to get so full that people on the platform couldn't get in and had to wait for another train (I was always glad that I didn't have to use Joyce/29th/Nanaimo). I haven't tried commuting from Metrotown Station but there are usually lots of people getting off the train there to work in the area or catch buses, etc. so that helps a bit, and using the station will be way more convenient once the renovations are done.

I got tired of the rush hour commute after a while, and even now with travelling at off-peak times I'm still tired of going 20 minutes each way to get downtown on a daily basis, but it's really not bad as far as suburban commuting goes. And the bus station at the mall has a ton of bus routes that go many places, so getting around overall is quite convenient.

Personally I'm considering moving away at this point, not due to any particular negative reason, I've just spent a combined total of five years here and it's the only neighbourhood I've lived in in Metro Vancouver so a change of scenery is in order in the near future I think. But it's been a great place to live the past few years.

So those are my general thoughts on the neighbourhood - very convenient living as far as the suburbs go, not super exciting but decent enough and with easy access to other amenities in the region. Hope that helps.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 5:18 PM

Thanks for your comments, Skygazer. Sorry to hear that you got mugged, but yeah, such could happen also in Downtown or elsewhere.

Two more questions: what is the most direct transit route from Metrotown to YVR? Is there any direct bus route or does one have to change to Canada Line? I know I can check it from Translink.ca, but curious to hear how people prefer to make this trip.

Another question is regarding taking bicycle on Skytrain. Are there some hours that this is not allowed? It would be convenient to ride my bike Downtown and avoid the uphill on the way back by taking Skytrain...

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 9:29 PM

Nice to get that input. It pretty much sums up what I would have expected. Convenient, nice, but very much a suburb with suburban street life and convenient, yet still suburban-retail options. It's just a suburb with towers.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 1:20 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Thanks for your comments, Skygazer. Sorry to hear that you got mugged, but yeah, such could happen also in Downtown or elsewhere.

Two more questions: what is the most direct transit route from Metrotown to YVR? Is there any direct bus route or does one have to change to Canada Line? I know I can check it from Translink.ca, but curious to hear how people prefer to make this trip.

Another question is regarding taking bicycle on Skytrain. Are there some hours that this is not allowed? It would be convenient to ride my bike Downtown and avoid the uphill on the way back by taking Skytrain...
I live at Joyce, which has more or less the same transit situation to Metrotown to YVR, which is quite poor. I usually take the 41 (or 49, in Metrotown's case) and then the Canada Line, which takes about an hour. The 41 is pretty terrible in that it stops at more or less every single stop and is almost always busy (standing room only when heading back like from the Canada Line). I would imagine that the 49 is about the same. Sometimes I will take Expo + Canada Line, as it is just a couple (2-5) minutes slower, and is more comfortable/more room/more relaxing.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 2:09 PM

Quote:

The 430 bus from Metrotown goes to Bridgeport Station, at which point it's only a few stops to YVR-Airport, but it takes around 40 minutes to get there and the bus seems impractical for carrying bags, particularly since the buses on that route tend to be pretty old ones.

I generally take the SkyTrain myself, though that depends on how much stuff I'm carrying - while the Canada Line trains are great for carrying luggage, the Expo/Millenium Line trains aren't and so I only take them if I'm travelling light (carry-on and laptop bag - even then that can be a bit inconvenient if it's crowded when I go). If I'm carrying a big checked luggage I take a cab cause it's just not practical, especially on the old Mark I trains. Though if I lived near the Canada Line I would have no problem using it for that.

As far as bikes go, they're not allowed on the SkyTrain during rush hour in the peak direction (i.e. westbound in the mornings from 7-9 or something like that, east bound in the evenings 4-6 or something like that). Currently bikes are prohibited at Metrotown Station entirely and have been as long as I can remember, although I'd bet there's a fair chance that will change once the station is finally upgraded. Patterson Station is literally four short blocks away, so not a huge deal to get off there and ride to Metrotown if you have to.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 7:19 PM

Quote:
This was getting buried, but welcome back! I have not spent much time in the area, so I don't know what Nanaimo is really like. It seemed a bit quiet when I was there, but it was a weekend. I hope you like it and it is only a short ferry ride away from true civilization.
thanks looking forward to it I lived on the island 26 or so years ago, i always liked it, will be nice to get over to vancouver easily and not have to live there, the traffic and lineups have really started to get to me since living in isolation for 4 years lol, when i visit vancouver it really gets to me, seems weird, i am sure i could fall back into it all though

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 1:13 AM

Thank you all for your comments regarding Metrotown! We have today signed a lease for an amazing apartment in the heart of the area and will be moving in hopefully just two weeks from now. I really hope we will like living in the area, as the apartment itself is something different...

As my new job is also in Burnaby, I will be visiting Vancouver much less frequently and will rely on our great Downtown forumers for project updates there. From my side there will be some very interesting Metrotown updates going forward, as well as some absolutely breathtaking skyline photography. I cannot wait for the next time the fog will roll in...

I still cannot believe that I will become a resident of Burnaby, but this move made so much sense money, commute and lifestyle wise. Let's see how long our love affair with the apartment and the area will last.

Last edited by Klazu; Apr 25, 2016 at 1:38 AM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 4:08 AM

I added myself on both Urbanfibre and Novus waitlists for my new address, but currently those two are not available. Maybe one day.

Seems that my only options are Telus, Shaw, TekSavvy or VMedia. From those TekSavvy seems to be the best option with 25/5Mbs being $45/month (not a 3 month promo price but permanent) without any contract. I think that is the best option without Urbanfibre or Novus. Telus and Shaw prices suck after the few month introduction and I am not keen on keep changing between ISPs.

I have never had TekSavvy, but recall them being know for excellent customer service and stable internet. I think I will go with them.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 8:26 AM
See ya down under, mates

I am expecting many jaw dropping photos, Klazu. It was a great shame when you lost your Wall Centre place.

Would also be curious to see what you think of Burnaby. Functionally all the pieces are there, just seems to lack something special.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion