HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 7:26 PM

An update on the Imageshack situation. They seem to have done all they can do for now. As I review my Imageshack account I see about 5-10% of my images are permanently lost. So, some of my old pics are not showing on Skyscraperpage but I don't think I'll be trying to fix them all. I haven't decided yet whether to resume using Imageshack on an ongoing basis or switch permanently over to Flickr.

"Jack Levin · 4 days 3 hours ago
· · Chrome 45.0 on Mac
We did everything we could to restore most of the images. There was unfortunately a data loss.

Jack Levin · 4 days 3 hours ago
· · Chrome 45.0 on Mac
We have lost about 5% of everyone's images, this means 1 out of 20. Any image that you do not see in your account, unfortunately been lost, hopefully you have your own personal backups."

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 7:47 PM

Don't worry about it. Quick construction photos lose lot of importance over years.

How was New York?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 8:27 PM

NYC is as exhilarating and exhausting as always. I do appreciate coming back to our little "village by the edge of the rainforest".

I've been sorting through a ton of photos. Here's one of Bjarke Ingel's pyramid (625 W. 57th St.).

Oct.6 '15, my pic

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 11:18 PM

Good to hear your trip was successful. I would have also taken 1000+ photos while in there.

Whenever I visit a city with much taller buildings than ours, Vancouver feels like a small town for a while. Your perception of the height changes when you are in a bigger city. Same works the other way around and going back to Finland everything feels tiny after living in Vancouver.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Good to hear your trip was successful. I would have also taken 1000+ photos while in there.

Whenever I visit a city with much taller buildings than ours, Vancouver feels like a small town for a while. Your perception of the height changes when you are in a bigger city. Same works the other way around and going back to Finland everything feels tiny after living in Vancouver.
I don't think height has anything to do with how big a city feels. Paris and Amsterdam hardly feel like small towns and in fact feel like bigger cities than most in North America. Even small European cities like San Sebastian, Spain, without much height, feel much, much larger than comparative counterparts in North America.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamchung taiwan View Post

taiwan-city forum
From Taiwan forum. Just wondering how do they fit six cranes on top of a tower construction. How do all of those cranes fit to work at the same time? We never see anything like that in Canada. Not even two towers working on one tower.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 7:42 PM

I am not yet allowed to, but I hope everyone in Vancouver and BC goes today to vote!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 8:49 PM

Quote:
I am not yet allowed to, but I hope everyone in Vancouver and BC goes today to vote!
I hope you get to sometime soon Klazu, thank you!

I already voted (a few weeks ago). I wonder how much orange and blue we'll be seeing in Metro Van. Maybe all red but 5-6 ridings?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 12:17 AM

Watching the following ridings:

Vancouver-South, Vancouver-Granville, Burnaby-North Seymour, Surrey-White Rock

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 2:19 AM

I am most happy for the 10 billion transit investment in BC that the Liberals have been promising. Looking forward to many projects move ahead now.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 3:17 AM

Quote:
I am most happy for the 10 billion transit investment in BC that the Liberals have been promising. Looking forward to many projects move ahead now.
Trudeau was promising a seabus every 10 minutes during peak hours as recently as yesterday. Since we have the boats, I assume that just amounts to operational funding...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 4:18 AM

That's great news as well. Once the new area behind the automall will be built, I hope one of the ferries will begin to serve that area. I know I am dreaming on that one, but would be cool for North Shore.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 5:38 AM

Anyone know why Richmond was the only area in Metro Vancouver to vote for Conservatives? Other areas in Metro voted Liberal or NPD.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Anyone know why Richmond was the only area in Metro Vancouver to vote for Conservatives? Other areas in Metro voted Liberal or NPD.
Hmm, which riding has been recently tagged as a home to homemakers and students declaring little income and yet owning multimillion dollar homes? Still its close, thanks Green voters for tipping it to the Cons Alice Wong.

Still, its good to see Richmond-Steveston go Liberal. Having a PM who actually gets BC will be a huge benefit for our region, starting with the Broadway subway and reopening the Kits Coast Guard base.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah, after seeing the Liberals win the the suburbs I was expecting to see them grab the seat.

Really surprised at Cloverdale-Langley going red, Diane Watts managed to win South-Surrey as her star profile managed to outpace the Trudeau bump seen elsewhere

Even the NDP barely won Burnaby-South with a popular incumbent and seeing as how Burnaby is Corrigan NDP town

Trudeau bump help the Liberals in Surrey, North shore, Tricities (save for Fin Donnely)

EDIT: Richmond Centre is reporting the lowest turn out, people's indifference is why Alice held on (or holding on, before recount), extremely surprising since Alice Wong is a super backbencher MP, 4th last on the list of most spoken in HOC.

Last edited by Tetsuo; Oct 21, 2015 at 5:45 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 10:34 PM

Just wondering if I am the only one in here doing this? Always when I am walking in Downtown, my mind is constantly wandering between developments and projects around me. I am always trying to see our cityscape from a different perspective and trying to imagine how a tower would look here or there. There is so much development potential everywhere that it is very interesting to think about stuff like that.

I guess it has something to do with being an active photographer, but I wonder if others do the same as well?

Damn I wish we would have few more massive buildings. It is rare for one to feel like being "inside a city" as despite us having many towers, they have so small footprint and you can see the sky everywhere. There are only few places where you can align the view to be something like on Manhattan and not see sky peeking from somewhere.

I realize that it is much more appealing not to feel "crushed" by massive city around you and enjoy view of the open air and blue sky, but I wish we would have at least few blocks inside CBD where one would feel a bit more big city. The area around Dunsmuir/Hornby is maybe one of the "darkest" areas in Downtown and has a nice busy feeling during weekdays.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 10:49 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Just wondering if I am the only one in here doing this? Always when I am walking in Downtown, my mind is constantly wandering between developments and projects around me. I am always trying to see our cityscape from a different perspective and trying to imagine how a tower would look here or there. There is so much development potential everywhere that it is very interesting to think about stuff like that.

I guess it has something to do with being an active photographer, but I wonder if others do the same as well?

Damn I wish we would have few more massive buildings. It is rare for one to feel like being "inside a city" as despite us having many towers, they have so small footprint and you can see the sky everywhere. There are only few places where you can align the view to be something like on Manhattan and not see sky peeking from somewhere.

I realize that it is much more appealing not to feel "crushed" by massive city around you and enjoy view of the open air and blue sky, but I wish we would have at least few blocks inside CBD where one would feel a bit more big city. The area around Dunsmuir/Hornby is maybe one of the "darkest" areas in Downtown and has a nice busy feeling during weekdays.
Well, I just posted this photo in the Lost Buildings thread. It depicts how much more urban the corner of Granville & Georgia used to feel when (instead of the recessed 2-storey London Drugs building and the sunken plaza in front of Nordstrom) there used to be the great Birks Building and the Second Hotel Vancouver, respectively:

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 7:18 PM

I am currently in Santiago de Chile and I have to say that they have some very impressive modern architecture in this city. I am staying in the modern Las Condes area where dozens of glass towers have gone up in the last ten years.

Since Santiago is very prone to big earthquakes, most towers are only 20-25 floors tall (excluding few real skyscrapers, tallest of which is 300 meters) and they feel similar to normal towers in Yaletown. However I am very impressed by the glazing and architectural variety they have. There are all kinds of leaning and curvy towers and each of them have a fantastic high quality materials and floor-to-ceiling glazing with no spandrel. I realize that these are office towers, but why can't we have such nice variety in our city?

Maybe it's just the area I am in, but Chileans seem quite affluent to me and they drive new cars and shop in huge American style open-air malls. Every single American chain restaurant has found its way in here and there are places that we don't even have in Canada. Starbucks are also aplenty and everywhere.

I am also impressed by the city's subway network which is currently 5 lines with two brand new lines under construction. Trains are very long and run frequently, but in a city of over 6 million people it still gets crowded inside the trains. The only major letdown is that there is no metro line even in planning to be extended to the airport and currently one has to take a taxi or a poor bus connection.

Smog in here is pretty bad and caused by the 3000-meter tall mountains just next door. Think mountains as tall as Mount Baker where the North Shore Mountains are located. They sure are impressive, when you just see them through the smog.

I am liking our trip very much so far and slowly getting used to very little English being spoken in here. Spanish is the de-facto even in a major city like Santiago, which is understandable as one doesn't see too many non-Spaniards in here.

Tomorrow we will be flying a LAN Dreamliner to the Easter Island to check out that rock in the ocean.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 7:32 PM

Got a photo set for us?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 7:52 PM

It will take me a while. Been taking 200 photos on my first day in here and I have 11 days to go... Some patience will be required.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion