HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 6:05 PM

^There are going to be significant upgrades to traffic signals as part of the money approved for the minimum grid bike lane project. Quite a bit of the money allocated is to upgrade signals for both drivers and cyclists.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 3:04 AM
Community Guy

City gets rolling on Edmonton's first dedicated bike lanes
Separated downtown bicycle network described as ‘huge step’ for Edmonton
By Gareth Hampshire, CBC News

City of Edmonton crews have started construction on a $7.5-million bike network that will provide seven kilometres of separated lanes for cyclists, crisscrossing the city's downtown.

Crews began cutting pavement Wednesday morning for the on 107th Street between 99th and 100th Avenue for the Downtown Bike Network project.

"It's really exciting. We're thrilled that it's happening," said Anna Ho of Paths for People. The group, which works to improve conditions for cycling and walking in Edmonton, has long advocated for the bike lanes in the downtown area.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...anes-1.4057471

CBC

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 4:40 PM

The Lanes here work pretty well, and quite a few people used them over the winter. Great move for the city, hope you guys can get good ridership!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 4:29 PM
Community Guy

More like it is here... go check out 107st between 99-100ave

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg

Best information link:

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...n=bikedowntown

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 8:35 PM

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 9:02 PM

Shouldn't the concrete barriers be somewhat bigger than that? I doubt they would stop some numbnuts from driving over them.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 9:04 PM
Urban Advocate

They are going to have big, bright green plastic bollards attached to them.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 11:35 PM

^^Like rumble strips. Just enough to tell you you're not driving in the lane

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 11:42 PM

Which side of street will these be on. North/south east/west?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Shouldn't the concrete barriers be somewhat bigger than that? I doubt they would stop some numbnuts from driving over them.
They're as large as they need to be for an adjustable network. Some areas will have planters too.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
Which side of street will these be on. North/south east/west?
Looks like west at this location...but overall probably wherever works best design wise. There are a number of streets proposed to add cycle tracks so it probably depends on the location. Going to be a pretty substantial season of construction for bikes. 83 ave, 106 st, 76 ave, 102 ave. 127 st, downtown grid. A lot changing in the city at the moment.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 4:17 AM

How will the lanes intersect with the bus stops? Will passengers wait in the same spot, but need to cross the lanes when getting on and off the bus?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_business View Post
They are going to have big, bright green plastic bollards attached to them.
Hopefully they hold up better than the flimsy bollards on Capital Boulevard. In light of that and some of the other recent projects this city has half-assed (e.g. High Level Bridge prison fencing), a transportation department still stuck in the 20th century with their disdain for anyone who dares to not drive a car, and roads full of noisy, self-absorbed, sexually insecure yahoos, let's just say my enthusiasm for the successful execution of this initiative is very curbed at the moment. I'd love to be proven wrong here.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 4:44 AM
Community Guy

Really? Quite odd comparisons and certainly not relatable. This is based off of Calgary's award winning network and best practices from Europe.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Hopefully they hold up better than the flimsy bollards on Capital Boulevard. In light of that and some of the other recent projects this city has half-assed (e.g. High Level Bridge prison fencing), a transportation department still stuck in the 20th century with their disdain for anyone who dares to not drive a car, and roads full of noisy, self-absorbed, sexually insecure yahoos, let's just say my enthusiasm for the successful execution of this initiative is very curbed at the moment. I'd love to be proven wrong here.
Great pun.

But seriously, some cities use those types of barriers as a permanent solution (Ottawa on at least one bike lane) and this is just temporary.

The bollards they'll install will be flexible knockdown bollards, more about viability than preventing you from hitting them.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 1:11 AM

^^^ this is the same thing Calgary is using minus the curb, and this is a permanent bike lane. I have only heard of one incident of someone smashing through these hitting a cyclist. They were probably receiving an important text or a brand new image on Snapchat. I do like the curb portion as it would make me feel a tad bit more secure.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.04135...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 12:45 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
^^^ this is the same thing Calgary is using minus the curb, and this is a permanent bike lane. I have only heard of one incident of someone smashing through these hitting a cyclist. They were probably receiving an important text or a brand new image on Snapchat. I do like the curb portion as it would make me feel a tad bit more secure.

In the google link there appears street parking sign in the right hand bike lane - is this the case for Edmonton? So cars drive through and park?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 5:11 PM
Urban Advocate

/\ leftover parking sign that wasn't removed. Same with the parking meter. No, there will be no parking in Edmonton that would cause you to drive through the bike lane.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post

There are curbs a block furthwe west, not sure why they skipped them on the section of 12th you showed. As someone who uses the network quite extensively, the only areas I see issues are at turns where drivers don't check that there is no one coming in the bike lane and turn right in front of cyclists. Almost got taken out this way a few times. Most intersections have an advance turn for cars to avoid this though. I'm sure Edmonton will be very much the same, time is the biggest thing people need for these to become used properly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton