HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
There's a reason proven successful businessmen like Amar Doman and Victor Cui have become involved (as well as Stelco). I highly doubt they think they are investing their lives in a doomed venture as some would like to think or try and convince us of.
There is an interesting podcast interview with Amar Doman where he talks a bit about the Schooners. Doman says that he has heard a lot of positive things about the Schooners as a member of the CFL Board of Governors. He says the Schooners were on the 1 yard line for expansion pre-Covid, but more interestingly, he says that the league is looking at adding a team next year (which he later qualifies with an "if"). The interview starts about 7 and a half minutes into the podcast, and the Schooner talk starts around 19 minutes into the podcast.

http://www.bclions.com/2022/04/29/am...n-on-markcast/

Last edited by c-way-dude; May 15, 2022 at 11:01 AM.

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
One thing I'm not sure about is how popular the sport will be or how healthy the CFL will be in the future. If it declines generally the odds will go down. Like you say it means nothing that there hasn't been progress on this during the pandemic.
http://www.3downnation.com/2021/03/2...ip-has-failed/

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 9:37 PM

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 9:54 PM

re: Using Grey Cups to help fund stadium

http://www.3downnation.com/2022/06/0...ct-in-ontario/

The numbers are very good considering that the event was scaled back considerably because of the pandemic.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 9:29 PM

www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/cfl-touchdown-atlantic-nova-scotia-economy-1.6631471

For what it is worth, in a recent interview Ambrosie mentioned both Halifax and Moncton as potential expansion sites.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 10:31 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
The report also stated Touchdown Atlantic attracted 7,879 out-of-town visitors and generated $8 million in visitor spending, which translates into a $6.2 million boost to the provincial GDP.
One way to read this would be to say that 75% of the crowd at the Wolfville game was not local, meaning that only 3,000 locals showed up. Take from that what you will.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 10:34 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
One way to read this would be to say that 75% of the crowd at the Wolfville game was not local, meaning that only 3,000 locals showed up. Take from that what you will.
I'm not sure what that statistic means. 3,000 locals is about half the population of the town but maybe they are talking about a wider area. And it sold out so it's hard to know would have gone but couldn't get a ticket.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 10:36 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I'm not sure what that statistic means. 3,000 locals is about half the population of the town but maybe they are talking about a wider area.
My assumption is that out-of-town visitors means non-Halifax or non-Nova Scotia. I recall many stories in the leadup talking about people travelling from elsewhere in Canada for the game, primarily from Saskatchewan.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 12:01 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-way-dude View Post
For what it is worth, in a recent interview Ambrosie mentioned both Halifax and Moncton as potential expansion sites.
If Ambrosie is mentioning Moncton as a possible site for a CFL franchise again, I take this as meaning nothing more than an act of absolute desperation regarding the stadium and ownership group situation in Halifax.

The CFL burned a lot of bridges in Moncton when they dumped us to go "all in" on Halifax. You could tell they had lost interest in Moncton given the CFL's perfunctory support for the latter Touchdown Atlantic games. Compared to the first Touchdown Atlantic, you could tell the CFL was only paying us lip service.

Mentioning Moncton in an offhand manner now probably is only being done to stimulate some alarm in those remaining people in Halifax interested in a CFL franchise. Ambrosie is hoping some panic ensues and that the remaining Halifax proponents will get off their collective asses and actually do something.......

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 12:55 AM

This is just Ambrosie trying to put a positive spin on league business a few weeks before grey cup, happens every year. No one is dropping 200 million to build a local stadium.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
This is just Ambrosie trying to put a positive spin on league business a few weeks before grey cup, happens every year. No one is dropping 200 million to build a local stadium.
In Moncton we have the stadium in place but it would need a 100-150 million upgrade to be up to CFL standard. And I agree with Monctonrad that the CFL had burned bridges in Moncton. But Moncton with its central location and direct flights to Newfoundland would be a no brainer.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 12:41 PM

The problem is inflation. All these cost estimates are are likely far higher and no longer feasible for anyone.

Also I don't believe a 37 seat Dash-8-100 that flies between Moncton and Deer Lake 6 days a week and not on Saturday is going to move the needle on a stadium that will cost several 100's of millions...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 12:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

FWIW, PAL flies to Deer Lake, St. John's and Wabush from Romeo LeBlanc (Ottawa too), but, I agree with you. These air connections would not move any needles in terms of support for a CFL team.

An Atlantic franchise is dead, dead, dead (for at least another 20 years).

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

FWIW, PAL flies to Deer Lake, St. John's and Wabush from Romeo LeBlanc (Ottawa too), but, I agree with you. These air connections would not move any needles in terms of support for a CFL team.

An Atlantic franchise is dead, dead, dead (for at least another 20 years).
Direct flights to St. John's from Moncton end this Friday unfortunately.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 11:05 PM

Touchdown Atlantic is coming back in 2023. The Argonauts and the Roughriders will be playing at St. Mary's on July 29.
Ambrosie also announced that three other markets have inquired about hosting a regular season game in the 2024 season.
www.cfl.ca/2022/12/20/touchdown-atlantic-returns-in-2023/

Last edited by c-way-dude; Dec 22, 2022 at 10:41 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2023, 3:43 PM
I Rise Again

Seems like they may be testing the waters in Halifax for the last time, if that is indeed the case, I wonder if they would be willing to turn their eyes to Moncton once again and see if the city would be willing to host a team in The Blue Cross Stadium at Universite de Moncton until a better set up can be built. Any Maritime team would need to be regional and rely on regional draw and Moncton has the largest regional draw in the Maritimes. Local population is a great starting point though and Halifax does have more than Moncton, but with Moncton's good growth rate I believe that even if regional draw goes down over the years(if it does) then Monctonians will be plentiful enough to pick up the slack. We already have the facility and can be temporary-permanent built up to at least 20,000 seats.

So.....
- Would the league be willing to look at Moncton again? If so then,
- Would the city be willing to play along with a guarantee that we would get a team?
- Would there be enough corporate support/ownership group to run the team?

If all three can be met then I think we have an excellent chance.

I know that Moncton might have be used to get Halifax, but if Halifax gets off the table, then what choice would they have if they want a coast to coast league.

Thoughts?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2023, 4:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
So.....
- Would the league be willing to look at Moncton again? If so then,
- Would the city be willing to play along with a guarantee that we would get a team?
- Would there be enough corporate support/ownership group to run the team?

If all three can be met then I think we have an excellent chance.

I know that Moncton might have be used to get Halifax, but if Halifax gets off the table, then what choice would they have if they want a coast to coast league.

Thoughts?
1) - The CFL wants a Maritime team. After four straight Touchdown Atlantic games in Moncton, the league turned their back on us and went all in on Halifax (which is really where they wanted to go in the first place). I firmly believe that the CFL was using the nascent intercity rivalry between Moncton and Halifax into goading the latter city into action. This succeeded (to a degree), but there is no real ownership group down there, and precious little civic interest (they can't afford a stadium). The prospects for a CFL team in Halifax are no greater now than they were 15 years ago. Meanwhile, the CFL has burned a lot of bridges in Moncton.
2) - I'm not sure the city would play along as actively this time around. The first two Touchdown Atlantics were great. The CFL was heavily invested, and it was a party like atmosphere for almost a week - a mini Grey Cup. The latter two Touchdown Atlantic games were a lot different. The CFL was disengaged and there was little hype. It was obvious the league was just going through the motions and was only holding the game here because there was no comparable stadium in Halifax. If the CFL came back to Moncton again with plans for another game, I imagine the city would want to explore the motives of the CFL this time quite carefully.
3) - There is no clear ownership group in Moncton for a CFL team. It would be an expensive venture. While the Blue Cross Stadium could be used in the short term, a proper professional stadium would ultimately be necessary, costing several hundred million dollars. Would Irving be interested in owning a CFL team? They do a great job with the Wildcats, but, a CFL team would be a whole order of magnitude of difference.

Given the problems in Halifax, the only real Atlantic option is Moncton, but, I think there are similar obstacles here. It really depends on what Irving would like to do........

Old Posted Sep 2, 2023, 4:38 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
It really depends on what Irving would like to do........
Good point. I completely forgot about the possibility of the Irvings being an ownership group. They do have the pockets for it if they wanted too like you said. I wonder if Mr. Irving likes football?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 11:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The dream is dead. The CFL has lost patience with the recalcitrant politicians in Halifax and Nova Scotia (and the absence of serious investors).

Touchdown Pacific will be held in 2024 in Victoria BC.

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/11/29/touchdown-pacific-2024/

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 5:05 AM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
The dream is dead. The CFL has lost patience with the recalcitrant politicians in Halifax and Nova Scotia (and the absence of serious investors).

Touchdown Pacific will be held in 2024 in Victoria BC.

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/11/29/touchdown-pacific-2024/

https://torontosun.com/sports/footba...ss-the-country

It's not new news it was discussed almost a year ago that they were planning on expanding the touchdown format outside of Atlantic Canada. I wouldn't say it's the nail in the coffin you're making it out to be

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces