HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
I also feel that the ballpark and mts centre do a good job of integrating into their surroundings, offering excellent concessions and places to mingle with other fans. This stadium doesn't seem to let people explore, it just seems to be a bunch of seats, and stairs, like the current stadium, and in the same location while serviceable Doesn't offer much of a view.
Granted, I have never been to Winnipeg, but isn't Polo Park a big-box shopping wasteland? I'm not really sure how or why you would want this stadium to "integrate" into that. Are you looking for a direct connection from your seat to Costco or Best Buy?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 10:58 PM
Movin' on up

It has come to my attention that the Bombers have also put out a proposal for a new stadium. Has anyone else hear about this?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
It has come to my attention that the Bombers have also put out a proposal for a new stadium. Has anyone else hear about this?
um... this is the proposal for the bombers

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 12:11 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
um... this is the proposal for the bombers

This is David Asper's proposal. The club itself has a seperate one on the table.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 12:23 AM
Community Guy

very nice...hope it comes through!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 12:26 AM
Movin' on up

Well, now the fed's are saying that there might not be enough $ for both the Human Rights Museum and the Stadium, so who knows. I'm sure if this were taking place in Alberta or Ontario, we would hear the conservatives singing a different tune.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 1:19 AM

it's an amazing looking stadium, but the architect must not be a football fan. It's much better to have upper decks on each side of the field than to have the seating equally spread around the whole bowl, which results in tons of crappy endzone seats

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 1:28 AM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
it's an amazing looking stadium, but the architect must not be a football fan. It's much better to have upper decks on each side of the field than to have the seating equally spread around the whole bowl, which results in tons of crappy endzone seats
I'm not sure if I agree with that. Having everybody so close to the field should result in a great atmosphere and a significant home field advantage.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 2:19 AM

Wow. Huge news for Winnipeg, I'm really looking forward to the development of this project. The planning and organization of the business proposal seems very sensible and well organized. The design proposal is another matter. I just can't believe that Ray Wan is the arch. of record....I have yet to see anything come out of his office that was even remotely good, in any sense of the word...The same applies for the images released on this project. The entire thing is ridiculous. Its my belief that this 'design' is merely a marketing image. I would be extremely surprised if the final design even remotely resembled this image. I'm holding out hope that HOK (the design architect contracted for the project) will commandeer the design and produce something of value.

An interesting facet of this project is the opportunity we now have to continue our development in the realm of 'environmental architecture'....As a provincially funded project, the new stadium will be required to achieve a LEEDs silver rating. No small feet for a project of this size and program.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
This is David Asper's proposal. The club itself has a seperate one on the table.
I believe the Winnipeg Football Club/Red River Ex proposal was the one that Viking was working on. Being located outside the perimeter was a bit of a non starter.

Polo Park isn't the traditional big box wasteland. It's a transitioning industrial neighbourhood not far from the centre of the city - not a typical big box development on the periphery. There's hope for it.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 2:44 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I believe the Winnipeg Football Club/Red River Ex proposal was the one that Viking was working on. Being located outside the perimeter was a bit of a non starter.

Polo Park isn't the traditional big box wasteland. It's a transitioning industrial neighbourhood not far from the centre of the city - not a typical big box development on the periphery. There's hope for it.
yes i think that was the one he was working on didn't viking go to europe to get some ideas for the roof... if i recall corectly he was talking about wood beams

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 2:51 AM
Density and complexity

Quote:
That's one way of looking at it. Another is how Prof. Christopher Leo did in his essay "The twiglight zone of city zoning regulations":
Quote:
The Polo Park area illustrates the traffic nightmare that can result from a massive lack of infrastructure upgrades. Much of the area is zoned for industrial uses, though over time the general area has shifted from one of industrial concentration to one of commercial concentration. Given that the City is unable to levy development charges on projects that do not go through rezoning, the permissiveness of industrial zoning districts in the zoning code has meant that most of the redevelopment to commercial use around Polo Park has gone ahead without developers covering the cost of needed infrastructure upgrades. An area that once had infrastructure adequate for industrial operations now must deal with high-volume traffic generated by a strong commercial presence with roughly the same facilities. This congestion is hurting the industrial operations that remain, and also creates an unsafe environment for motorists.
In otherwords, it's a dangerous and costly clusterfuck of big box retail, light industry, and bad Winnipeg drivers that is to be avoided at all costs.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 3:00 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
That's one way of looking at it. Another is how Prof. Christopher Leo did in his essay "The twiglight zone of city zoning regulations":

In otherwords, it's a dangerous and costly clusterfuck of big box retail, light industry, and bad Winnipeg drivers that is to be avoided at all costs.
lol i go near that area alot its crazy how heavy the traffic is needs some one ways in there.......

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 3:26 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:

The club actually put forth a proposal to be built on the same site as CanadInns stadium, differing from the ex-grounds. It's posted on New Winnipeg under the new stadium thread.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 4:57 AM

That is great.. good on Winnipeg.
Why dont you give the Canadinns stadium to halifax so they can get a CFL team
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post

Sheesh. So what if traffic is a little slower and lanes a little narrower. Generally I think that is a desirable thing. Are you suggesting we need to make this neighbourhood more car friendly? There are actually sidewalks and bus service in this part of town. Lots of big box clusters can't say the same thing. Industry was leaving this part of town for many reasons. We should be happy we were able to attract an alternative.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 5:31 AM

This one seems abit interesting.

The Winnipeg Football Club for the past five to six years has taken steps to develop a long-term strategy to ensure the financial viability and sustainability of professional football in Winnipeg.

Inherent in those deliberations has been consideration of the need for either a new or upgraded facility and the creation of additional sources of revenue for the team.

The board of directors had previously made a decision to retain architectural consultants and financial consultants with a view to preparing and delivering to interested parties a request or expression of interest relating to the development or re-development of the current stadium site.

This process was initiated several months ago and we’re pleased to present this update on the status of the project.

With the recent success of the football club both on and off the field, the time is right to consider this initiative. The football club will soon issue a call for proposals to prospective partners regarding this proposed project.

The board and management of the Winnipeg Football Club believe it’s in the best interests of the organization and its fans to work towards providing a first class facility and thereby ensure the future of Winnipeg Blue Bombers football in the community for many years to come. Listed below are details of what the proposed redevelopment might look like.

Please bear in mind, this is just one of many possible designs for a redeveloped Canad Inns Stadium.

The Winnipeg Football Club

Retail / Commercial / Sports venue integration
The Stadium Site re-development initiative builds on the history of the original stadium with a novel concept for an integrated commercial/retail and sports venue.

Game day excitement
The excitement of game day will build around the highly accessible and visible commercial/retail shops and the newly landscaped Stadium Plaza.

Pre-game atmosphere
Imagine walking down St. James before the big game while the teams’ warm-up exercises are projected onto giant screens mounted on surrounding buildings, or the excited crowds of early-bird fans in the many bars and restaurants flanking the new ‘Bomber Mile’ plaza.

New Luxury boxes
For those who enjoy the social atmosphere of a private box, the new development is crowned by a new commercial/retail complex and potential hotel, which will house 20 new luxury boxes.

Approach and entrance to Stadium
Approaching the stadium will be an exciting new experience. To the south, the Stadium Plaza will welcome fans with a vibrant atmosphere enhanced by the Jumbotron screen and ticket kiosks. The fans excitement will build as they ascend to the elevated secondary entrances, which present a breathtaking view of the playing field below.

Winter activities
In the winter, the playing field will be transformed into a large-scale skating rink of unequalled grandeur in Winnipeg. This location will be a beloved community meeting place during the cold months and will attract an eager crowd of shoppers and diners to the adjacent commercial venues and restaurants.

Activities during no-game days
The hotel and retail/commercial areas will be lively all-year round. Attractive shops and a wide variety of restaurants will draw visitors of all ages. Conferences, fairs, and exhibitions at the hotel may expand into the various plazas, providing for a more lively meeting experience.

Relationship of stadium and surrounding area
The stadium is integrated into the scale of the surrounding area, creating a welcoming atmosphere for potential visitors and tourists in the street.

Spectacular NEW glass roof
The beautiful new glass roof over the bleachers, extending north to south beyond the seating area, provides shelter for the plazas. Visitors will marvel at the bright, light glass and metal structure that shows off our prairie sky to its best.

Upgraded seats
The upgraded and expanded seating area will welcome up to 30,000 visitors, providing them with a comfortable and modern vista from which they can take in the game. The washroom facilities will be upgraded in a similarly modern, clean style.

Upgraded concessions
Fans will appreciate the delicious new offerings and traditional favourites at the new concession areas.

Club seating
VIP guests will gather in the expanded club-seating area, which will seat 3,000 special visitors.

State-of-the-art Video and Sound System
The avid sports fan will be greeted at the entrances by the high-quality new audio and visual systems, which are also spread throughout the stadium, ensuring the ultimate in sports excitement.

Surface parking and underground parking
Hotel, commercial/retail and stadium parking will accommodate 1,000 guests in surface and underground parking, allowing for easy arrival and departure.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 5:33 AM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Sheesh. So what if traffic is a little slower and lanes a little narrower. Generally I think that is a desirable thing. Are you suggesting we need to make this neighbourhood more car friendly? There are actually sidewalks and bus service in this part of town. Lots of big box clusters can't say the same thing. Industry was leaving this part of town for many reasons. We should be happy we were able to attract an alternative.
Wow, remind me never to diss suburban big-box wastelands on the Winnipeg threads again...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 5:37 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper and one o nin View Post
That is great.. good on Winnipeg.
Why dont you give the Canadinns stadium to halifax so they can get a CFL team

the bisions get first dibs

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 5:37 AM
ILYR

berzerkled, I had just noticed those drawing from the Bomber home page.
I guess they must represent the Bomber vision.
So I guess the question now will be which design to people prefer?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan