HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
There's online chatter that Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen is coming to Saint John, (in addition to Moncton and Fredericton).
Rumors indicate that it will be located at the former 3mile property.
Multiple sources are saying that the former 3 Mile building will indeed be demolished to make way for a Popeyes Chicken as well as new buildings, creating a brand new commercial plaza.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Multiple sources are saying that the former 3 Mile building will indeed be demolished to make way for a Popeyes Chicken as well as new buildings, creating a brand new commercial plaza.
I'm hoping that if the former 3 Mile does come down, daily pictures are taken of it's razing, for those who aren't currently living in Saint John, but who do still look in on the city via the internet from time to time.

o.o

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 7:34 PM

Goji’s signage is now removed from the building at East Point Shopping Center. Taco Boyz opening soon.

https://www.tacoboyz.com

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 2:05 PM

A source has informed me that H&R Block on McAllster Drive is moving into the newly created vacant space next to Bulk Barn, and Blaze Pizza will be replacing their current spot next to Tim Hortons.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 4:06 PM

Warhammer retail store opens on August 27th. They are located at Fairville Blvd Plaza on the west side, (former Bell Aliant spot). https://stores.warhammer.com

A first in New Brunswick, a nice catch for Saint John.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 7:59 PM

Stuffy Riders has opened at McAllister Place. (Located inside the former Urban Kids, across the hall from Bluenotes).

https://stuffyrider.com

Last edited by DyAm00394; Jul 19, 2022 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 11:37 AM

Pizza Hut is opening next to Candy Depot at 358 Rothesay Avenue. Signage is already up on the building.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Pizza Hut is opening next to Candy Depot at 358 Rothesay Avenue. Signage is already up on the building.
With Pizza Hut's return to East Saint John, it looks like the delivery areas for that restaurant have now been restored to the following...

A] The Rothesay Ave. location will now, again, deliver to all homes/businesses east of the Marsh Creek.

B] The Uptown location at Brunswick Square will now, again, deliver to all homes/businesses in the SouthCentral Peninsula, North End, Millidgeville, and West Saint John.

I do hope though that Pizza Hut will see some value in a West Side location, so that it can balance out the delivery zones. And with PH opening this smaller location on Rothesay Ave., there's now no excuse to not having PH being in the West Side....they can now basically pick a plaza and plant the flag there. Maybe next door to A&W?

X-)

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 12:35 PM

Cascabowl's Fresh Mexican Cantina is opening soon next to Starbucks at 641 Harding Street on the westside, (across the street from Lancaster Mall).

Strathallen has them listed on their site plan for the plaza. https://cascabowls.ca

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Cascabowl's Fresh Mexican Cantina is opening soon next to Starbucks at 641 Harding Street on the westside, (across the street from Lancaster Mall).

Strathallen has them listed on their site plan for the plaza. https://cascabowls.ca
That's going to make that area even more crazy to navigate - that has to be the most poorly designed complex in the city. I specifically avoid that Starbucks due to the layout of the drive throughs.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 1:09 PM

Quote:

I'm intrigued!
Shame we couldn't get a Bar Burrito instead of a Casca Bowl or Taco Boys but I imagine they're all the same sort of thing.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Some chatter are saying that this is a relocation of the Brunswick Square one and not a 2nd location.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 2:29 PM

And the 3 Mile Pub and Tavern complex is being demolished. An end of an era, but had to happen given the building's problems.

o.o

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Some chatter are saying that this is a relocation of the Brunswick Square one and not a 2nd location.
Honestly, would Brunswick Square make a terrible museum (after $100M or more in improvements)?

Loading docks
Broadly windowless
Large flat roof for climate control updates
Centrally located
Space on upper floors for archives and offices
Increasingly vacant, little displacement of tenants required
Aggregate cladding relatively easy to remove and replace

And use the gorgeous and out-of-place Scotiabank lobby as the main entrance.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 5:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Sounds like a plan to me.

Also, at present, I'm not sure what the other development possibilities could be for this space.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Honestly, would Brunswick Square make a terrible museum (after $100M or more in improvements)?

Loading docks
Broadly windowless
Large flat roof for climate control updates
Centrally located
Space on upper floors for archives and offices
Increasingly vacant, little displacement of tenants required
Aggregate cladding relatively easy to remove and replace

And use the gorgeous and out-of-place Scotiabank lobby as the main entrance.
If this proposal includes some exterior modifications you can count me in one this one.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 6:29 PM

Hence my comments on the cladding. Even doing a brick facade like on the lower King-side floors would be a huge improvement.

I didn't even mention the pedway to the Market, which would be great for both.

The only complicated question is what do you do with the recently renovated Delta? I presume they'd be thrilled to have a new civic institution neighbour beneath them, but you would definitely have to re-clad it too.

Most importantly, the owner really seems to want it cleared out. Market Square and uptown broadly could absorb the store tenants, the remaining office tenants could find space in Brunswick House or City Hall without even going outside, etc.

I think it's worth suggesting to the province.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 6:39 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Most importantly, the owner really seems to want it cleared out. Market Square and uptown broadly could absorb the store tenants, the remaining office tenants could find space in Brunswick House or City Hall without even going outside, etc.
It was discussed at the time when Starbucks left BS that it was possible they would seek another location Uptown but that never really came to fruition. I had even heard whispers of potential locations at the time. I'm sure Uptown could absorb the tenants moving out of BS but so far I don't believe any relocated in the core and instead simply vanished. I doubt Pizza Hut opens up elsewhere in the Uptown for the time being.

I don't hate the idea of the Museum at BS, but it would need some significant reconfiguration in order to accommodate the same floorspace they have now whilst retaining the pedway connection b/w City Market, City Hall, and Market Square.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
It was discussed at the time when Starbucks left BS that it was possible they would seek another location Uptown but that never really came to fruition. I had even heard whispers of potential locations at the time. I'm sure Uptown could absorb the tenants moving out of BS but so far I don't believe any relocated in the core and instead simply vanished. I doubt Pizza Hut opens up elsewhere in the Uptown for the time being.

I don't hate the idea of the Museum at BS, but it would need some significant reconfiguration in order to accommodate the same floorspace they have now whilst retaining the pedway connection b/w City Market, City Hall, and Market Square.
Massive reconfiguration, but there's plenty of floor space. I can't imagine a connection through the second floor would be an issue. Just wall or glass it off.

It's so much cheaper to repurpose than build new, it's not even funny. Even taking it to the studs, which probably doesn't need to happen, would be cheaper.

Caveat is I know zilch about museum construction, lol. But common sense dictates the top-level economics here, plus having a provincial museum dominate King Street instead of a vacant mall would be awesome.

And to your other point, has a single tenant moved and stayed uptown other than Paddington Station and the running shoe shop that just relocated to the Admiral Beatty? Absolutely brutal. Are they all just waiting out their leases? The decline of Deluxe from an NB institution to becoming little more than redevelopment sites is another story.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 7:44 PM

For Brunswick Square, my idea would be to turn it into a health and wellness centre of excellence. They already have a dental office and a pharmacy. If they could entice doctors' offices, physiotherapists, audiologists, massage therapists, etc. it would provide necessary services that are increasing in demand, as opposed to brick & mortar retail.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces