HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 2:11 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
Fredericton is getting it's own ride sharing start-up. Hope it works out for them. The Taxi Companies in this town are less than ideal.

https://www.google.com/amp/theaquini...-own-uber/amp/

I give them 3-4 months max, I am just glad I never have to take a taxi in this city ive heard way too many horror stories

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
I give them 3-4 months max, I am just glad I never have to take a taxi in this city ive heard way too many horror stories
Unless they really aggressively market they will die for sure. I have had to take taxis in town and have always felt like a huge inconvenience to them rather than a customer. Not that I have experienced much better elsewhere.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Unless they really aggressively market they will die for sure. I have had to take taxis in town and have always felt like a huge inconvenience to them rather than a customer. Not that I have experienced much better elsewhere.
I hope the owners have a day job. I can't see this generating any substantial profit.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Interesting. I'd noticed that all of those properties had been sold fairly recently so I was thinking they might be redeveloped. That's a great location to add some density.
And I see that that building is coming down now. With how fast winter set in, I don't see them doing any actual construction before the spring; but they should be able to get the land prepped before things freeze up too badly.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
I hope the owners have a day job. I can't see this generating any substantial profit.
so are we the first city in atlantic to get an uber-like app? i hope they are successful. we need something like that here.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburns42 View Post
so are we the first city in atlantic to get an uber-like app? i hope they are successful. we need something like that here.
I wish them luck. It's a good service and it would be great if they were successful. But I think it's a long shot at best.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
And I see that that building is coming down now. With how fast winter set in, I don't see them doing any actual construction before the spring; but they should be able to get the land prepped before things freeze up too badly.
Looking forward to seeing what gets built there.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 12:10 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:

I agree I am not trying to be negative I just cant see this company thriving in Freddy. I think if Uber or Lyft moved in they would have a better chance

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
I think the Elzayat's have their hands in many things and this is just one. Gabby Elzayat is the developer that was in the news recently with the (yet to be revealed) redevelopment of the Risteen Building property. Not sure if they are brothers or cousins but safe to say they've got some disparate business interests.

I'm not sure how successful or not this will be but see it as a positive regardless because it will force the taxi companies to adapt. If this pushed Checker to move to an app sooner that's a good thing and the consumer will be better served.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Devon View Post
I think the Elzayat's have their hands in many things and this is just one. Gabby Elzayat is the developer that was in the news recently with the (yet to be revealed) redevelopment of the Risteen Building property. Not sure if they are brothers or cousins but safe to say they've got some disparate business interests.

I'm not sure how successful or not this will be but see it as a positive regardless because it will force the taxi companies to adapt. If this pushed Checker to move to an app sooner that's a good thing and the consumer will be better served.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburns42 View Post
Hotspot has been advertising a major update will be released on November 25. Screen shots for the news release seem to show an Uber-like cab hailing and tracking, and expanded service for Fredericton Transit.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 5:49 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Note: I initially posted this is the Moncton thread haha

The Daily Gleaner is reporting that the new condo that's going to be beside the Chess Piece and the police station has been promised 2 more stories because the developer said he will build a public art piece in the downtown.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
Note: I initially posted this is the Moncton thread haha

The Daily Gleaner is reporting that the new condo that's going to be beside the Chess Piece and the police station has been promised 2 more stories because the developer said he will build a public art piece in the downtown.
So would that be 2 more stories to match the renders we saw in the PAC agenda? or 2 more stories on top of that? While I love height, I think the first proposal fits in quite well without overdominating the buildings around it. Plus the current proposal seems well designed to match the parking needs too.

In any case, doing that and getting a fountain or something somewhere else seems like a good plan all around.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 9:57 PM

Pseudio is Now Open! in Regent Mall.
(Photos are from Regent Mall's Facebook page).

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
So would that be 2 more stories to match the renders we saw in the PAC agenda? or 2 more stories on top of that? While I love height, I think the first proposal fits in quite well without overdominating the buildings around it. Plus the current proposal seems well designed to match the parking needs too.

In any case, doing that and getting a fountain or something somewhere else seems like a good plan all around.
Total is seven stories per rendering. Two additional in a five-story max area.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 2:56 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Quote:

It's going to be 7 stories. So yeah, same as renders BUT that's how they were able to get it to 7 I guess.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:58 PM

Mill Town Roasters has opened at 461 King Street. https://www.facebook.com/milltownroasters/

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 1:39 PM

Province has released its annual report on property tax base growth and grant. Municipalities use this to plan for their tax revenue for 2020:

Moncton +4.09 %
Fredericton +4.07 %
Saint John +1.83

Of note was that Saint John's rate actually fell from 1.86 in 2019. Also based on the current equalization formula, all 3 cities can expect less $$$ from the province in 2020 due to clawbacks. Of course, the province continues to discuss a special handout to Saint John to ensure their viability

Also the numbers really drive home how the urban tax base supports the rural areas of the province..especially Freddy and Moncton

https://www2.gnb.ca/content/dam/gnb/...0-SFPC2020.pdf

Last edited by Freddypop; Nov 23, 2019 at 1:50 PM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Province has released its annual report on property tax base growth and grant. Municipalities use this to plan for their tax revenue for 2020:

Moncton +4.09 %
Fredericton +4.07 %
Saint John +1.83

Of note was that Saint John's rate actually fell from 1.86 in 2019. Also based on the current equalization formula, all 3 cities can expect less $$$ from the province in 2020 due to clawbacks. Of course, the province continues to discuss a special handout to Saint John to ensure their viability

Also the numbers really drive home how the urban tax base supports the rural areas of the province..especially Freddy and Moncton

https://www2.gnb.ca/content/dam/gnb/...0-SFPC2020.pdf
I was surprised to see that the Fredericton tax base is higher than that of Saint John.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 7:03 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj6286 View Post
Hotspot has been advertising a major update will be released on November 25. Screen shots for the news release seem to show an Uber-like cab hailing and tracking, and expanded service for Fredericton Transit.
This makes sense. Fredericton Transit for whatever reason discontinued its GPS tracking app last month, maybe it will include that.
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces