HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 8:11 PM

I came across this :

http://www.news919.com/news/local/ar...entre-revealed

Congrat, that looks neat!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 9:21 PM

Nice! Here they are a bit bigger:

www.news919.com

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 9:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well Erick, your photos are essentially my photos, but my photos are larger so I will repost them.

My impressions of the session will follow soon.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 10:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

OK - in a nutshell this is what happened.........

Moncton City Council invited four local architectural firms to submit renderings as to what they think the proposed events centre and ancillary developments could look like. There is no guarantee that any of these renderings will reflect what the final project will look like, or even that the events centre will definitely be approved in the first place.

This presentation therefore was made to fire the imagination of those in attendance, and to garner further public support for this project.

The presentation was made in a packed city council chambers. It was standing room only will people spilling out into the lobby outside. The energy in the room was very positive and the atmosphere was charged with excitement. The mayor and a number of city councillors were in attendance as well as Robert Goguen, the federal MP for Moncton.

Personal observations:

- All four presentations referred to the project as the Moncton Centre. I presume that this is the official "placeholder" name for the project until something better comes along.
- All four presentations were good, but I agree with mattyy that two in particular stood out. These were the ones by Architects Four and Architecture 2000. These were the most professional and included CGI flyby animations, but aside from this, they had the most impressive features.
- All four proposals would site the arena where the current Highfield Square is located, with a mixed use development being built on the current parking lot which includes retail, commercial and residential components.
- In all cases, Highfield Street would be extended south to lie between the arena and the mixed use development. In one case, vehicle access would be limited. In another case, Weldon would also be extended south and a roadway would be created encircling the arena.
- In two cases, the proposals included an extension of the project to also include lands on the south side of the railway tracks (as suggested on our forum ), with one of these proposals including mixed use and parking south of the rail lines while the other proposal included an innovative integrated transit facility for Codiac Transo, VIA Rail and possibly Acadian Lines. This would be accomplished by relocating the VIA station to the new transit hub.
- The Architects Four proposal for the arena had the arena oriented along Main St with a strong streetfront presence with retail and restaurants lining the facade. The Architecture 2000 proposal had the arena obliquely oriented, parallelling the rail line rather than Main St. This allowed for a plaza in front of the arena facing Main St. This proposal also envisaged restaurants and pubs lining the streetfront, but the plaza in front allowed for patios in front of the restaurants.
- all four proposals included public spaces but these were in completely different locations depending on the proposal. The concept of an integrated convention facility was brought up a couple of times. One proposal included an art gallery.
- None of the proposals indicated any linkage to the Aquillini block across the street, but this could easily be addressed.

In essence, this is a transformative project that will completely resculpt two or possibly three city blocks (four if you include Aquillini). The downtown will most definitely never be the same if this project moves forward......

It was actually quite emotional watching these presentations in the council chamber. I don't think I was the only person who felt this way.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 11:05 PM

Wow, talk about transformative for downtown! A much larger scale project than I was expecting. Plus with possible developments on the Aquillini block, this would be a whole new west downtown. Fingers crossed that the financing issue gets resolved fast and this keeps moving forward smoothly.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 11:29 PM
Our Tide is Rising

WOWZERS!! I love all of it!

Hopefully this comes together ASAP!

I love that the designers included retail, residential and office development into their ideas...and the designs look fantastic!

My favorite:

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 11:48 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

The room was indeed packed!

I think it's important to remember that these were concept plans, not proposals. That said, there was clearly a lot of creativity put into these designs. My personal favourite was the Architecture 2000 one. I like the look of the arena component the best of the proposals, and it includes a real transit focus. That plan is also the most ambitious in my opinion, but almost certainly the most expensive too.

The thing I'm most happy about is the fact that all of the plans aim to rejuvenate the Main street facade. I expected some kind of mixed use development in the triangular area next to the tracks, but I figured at least some part of the street front would be taken up by the walls of the arena.

I'm not sure about the practicality of integrating residential directly into the events centre building, but it's an interesting concept nonetheless. I wonder if there's any precedence for that type of thing?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 12:08 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
I'm not sure about the practicality of integrating residential directly into the events centre building, but it's an interesting concept nonetheless. I wonder if there's any precedence for that type of thing?
I can't think of any precedence off the top of my head. I agree with your concerns re: practicality. I think a hotel/commercial centre would be a better choice for arena-proximity use than residential.

Centre Moncton Centre.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 12:25 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
The room was indeed packed!

I think it's important to remember that these were concept plans, not proposals. That said, there was clearly a lot of creativity put into these designs. My personal favourite was the Architecture 2000 one. I like the look of the arena component the best of the proposals, and it includes a real transit focus. That plan is also the most ambitious in my opinion, but almost certainly the most expensive too.
So, you were there too Myles? That makes three of us. I wonder if anyone else from the forum was there?

If I was to choose, I think my favourite was the Architecture 2000 one as well. It had panache but was also practical at the same time. I found the transit hub idea intriguing

I don't know about anyone else, but I was struck by the similarities of a number of these proposals to ideas already discussed in this forum, especially things like the integrated transit hub and the extension of the project to the lands south of the CN mainline.

Edit - I just remembered that Vorkuta said he was going to be there too. That would mean four forum members were at the presentation.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Apr 13, 2012 at 2:25 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 2:55 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

We're clearly the least friendly group in existence

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
WOWZERS!!

I think I like this one the best as well. However, a few years back, I lived on the west side of SJ right next to the railroad tracks, so I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy a condo overlooking the tracks!

One of the other proposals has condos in the same area, but not right along the tracks. I think this would be a better idea.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 1:10 PM

The city has posted 56 renderings here: http://www.moncton.ca/Moncton__Our_T...Renderings.htm

A couple of interesting ones:

Density:

Lunar base:

Source: posted link

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 1:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good stuff pierre, thanks for the link.

This will help to flesh things out for those who did not attend the session and will give all of us a chance to look at these concept drawings thoroughly and at our leisure.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 1:38 PM

Three and four are my favorites, and I'm leaning towards the 'lunar base' one as my favorite, just because of all the green spaces and additional features. Thing that scares me on that one is that is clearly states '9000' seats...has to be a minimum of 10,000 fixed seats.

That one with the 'colored thingy' on top is bloody hideous (holy 1970)!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 2:36 PM

Renderings

I actually like the one with the different colours on the top, I find it would stand out, and by the looks of all the renderings it covers over the tracks and also across main st towards the Crowne Plaza... Possible renderings done by Alquini properties?

Reason for like that design is it incorporates everything we are looking for but with interesting design, we want something that will stand out and bring a bit of vibrancy to the area

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 3:35 PM

Alas I did not get downstairs during the event to see the renderings, but went down afterwards. By the way, the renderings are STILL on display if you want to come in to take a gander at them. I'm not sure for how long, but they're still up in the lobby.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 4:32 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:

This proposal is my favourite--I think of all of them it has the ability to be iconic. If executed properly, it could be of Canada Place caliber.

All in all this was great initiative by the city to get people talking and galvanize support. About time there was something this major in the cards downtown!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:18 PM

I'd like to retract my previous statement. Looking at the more detailed renderings on the city's website, I now prefer the Architecture 2000 and Nadeau Soucy Ellis proposals. The first because of the integrated transit hub and the second because of the overall look and integrated parking structure.

Overall, the "lunar base" as others have called it is my new favourite.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 11:53 PM

Video of the Moncton Centre presentation

Here's a video of the presentation:

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 12:17 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks for posting the video mctnguy, this nicely condenses the actual presentation, and having the CGI flyby animations is great for giving perspective to this development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces