Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 1:16 AM
I Like Turtles!

Up, up, and nearly away

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post
This photo was labeled:

"Los Angeles" Lakehurs, 1927

I assume "Lakehurs" should read "Lakehurst" but I'm not sure where this was (assuming the Los Angeles part is accurate.)

All I know is someone doesn't know how to park their zeppelin properly.

What we see here is actually the USS Los Angeles, a US Navy Zeppelin, while moored at the high mast at the Naval Air Station at Lakehurst, NJ, August 25, 1927. This incident, which resulted from the sudden arrival of a cold air front that lifted the airship's tail, caused it to rise before she could swing around the mast parallel to the new wind direction. The Los Angeles suffered only minor damage, but the incident demonstrated the risks involved with high mooring masts.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Onli...ypes/zr3-k.htm

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Onli...ypes/zr3-k.htm

Since we're on the topic, it really doesn't get much more "noire" than the other famous Lakehurst incident....the Hindenburg disaster, 10 years later.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 2:18 AM

A little info about the Los Angeles:

The USS Los Angeles was built by the Zeppelin company in Germany and given to the U.S. Government as part of a war reparations package from Germany, after the first World War--one of the conditions being that the ship be limited to civil duty. The 2,472,000 cubic foot rigid airship was originally given the designation LZ-126 but upon being added to the U.S. Naval arsenal, it was designated the ZR-3 and christened the USS Los Angeles. The airship was 656 feet long and had a range of 5400 nautical miles. It was decommisioned in the 1930s and did not suffer the same fate as many other dirigibles of the time, having never crashed.

http://www.airships.net/us-navy-rigi...ss-los-angeles

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 3:30 AM

Quote:
This photo was labeled:

I assume "Lakehurs" should read "Lakehurst" but I'm not sure where this was (assuming the Los Angeles part is accurate.)

Lakehurst, New Jersey , site of the Hindenburg Horror. Los Angeles is most likely the name of the aiship

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 4:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
This photo was labeled:

Yikes.....

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Hey! You guys beat me to the RB Young punch! Actually, that link is to an earlier tour without me, but with Donald Spivak, which you should totally watch, he's fascinating!
But don't watch the one with me in it. Ugh. But then, we're our own worst critic, right?

If you want to watch something really good—shameless plug (I don't feel bad "promoting" here since it's a free event, and I'm not getting paid)—come to this, since it's up the collective alley of a gang of NLAer's, I'd reckon: an hour or so showing slides of and talking about Richardsonian Romanesque in Old LA.
In all likelihood I'll be there. Was waiting until the weather cooled down to continue taking the walking tours with you guys, but I understand you had to go hiatus as the venue closed for renovations. Glad to know you're soon to be up and running again!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 2:23 PM
BANNED

Pershing Square....stay away.

Pershing Square used to be a nice place. There were benches, trees, a lovely old fountain and lots of people. All kinds of interesting people would flock to the Square to meet people and have lively discussions or just to relax.
PC collection

Today in 2015 the old Square is a huge nothing...a wasteland. The comfortable wood benches have been torn out and the Square is mostly hideous concrete pavement. Any grass area is the size of a postage stamp. The entire block has been purposely designed to be very unfriendly to people.

My uncle from Kansas used to visit LA in the 1950's. He would spend all day at Pershing Square to meet the locals and discuss politics.

Today, people avoid the Square. The LA City Council has tried to make the place as ugly and unfriendly as possible. The aerial photo below speaks volumes.

GEV

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Feb 4, 2015 at 5:09 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

below: a slightly larger detail for a better look at the stores on the left.

I can't quite make out what it says before 'drugs'. Is it 'Haigh'...the same store in HossC's photograph? The building looks different though.
Here's an aerial view of the area from 1952. The streetcar tracks go north/south and 103rd Street goes east/west.

Historic Aerials

The drug store was on the north-east corner of the rail/street intersection. The nearest CD to the original photograph's date is 1956, and it lists the Bordan Drug Co at 1701 103rd Street. I think the name "Bordan Drugs" fits the text in the photo, and the word on the far left might say "FOUNTAIN". The white building was actually on the south side of 103rd Street. In 1956 it was The Barbecue Corner. Here's a list of these and other businesses nearby from the 1956 CD.

LAPL

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 5:44 PM

yep, it looks like Bordan. thx for figuring it out HossC.

Hollywood Filmograph, 1934.

If I'm not mistaken, the address places the Western Costume Corporation on Melrose between Paramount Studios (on the north), and Raleigh Studios (to the south).

AND IT'S ALL GONE!

I believe the property is now part of Paramount Studios.
...but I find it hard to believe both buildings are gone...I hope I'm looking in the wrong place.
__

I just found out my screen-grabs are png files, and are really huge. (I use Windows 8.1)
So I hope this ad (which is a screen-grab) doesn't slow down your viewing.
HossC gave me pointers on how to reduce the files, but I haven't figured it out yet.*
__

* Thanks to yet another PM from HossC.....I have now figured out how to reduce the size (bytes) of my screen-grabs.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 4, 2015 at 8:25 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 6:14 PM

This snapshot from ebay is a bit of a mystery.

ebay

-the seller states:

"A photo of the Canfield-Moreno Estate, also known as the Paramour Mansion, or the Crestmount from a street several blocks away in 1928."
The photographer put an "X" above the hilltop and wrote on the back.
"Antonio Moreno's home on the mountain, top of the hill, 1928"
__

I think it's an understatement that this photo was taken "several blocks away".

I thought it would be fun to try and figure out where the photograph was standing. -who's game?

The good news is, the mansion still stands. I'm pretty sure we covered it in the early days of the thread
but the place has had so many different names and owners I didn't know where to start my search.
__

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 6:48 PM

Western Costume

e-r, Western Costume Company moved to the Valley 25 years ago:

11041 Vanowen St
North Hollywood 91605

Their fascinating history is here: http://westerncostume.com/about-us/history.

It was started by our old friends L L Burns and Harry Revier

I used to love it there.

Last edited by tovangar2; Feb 4, 2015 at 7:07 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 6:48 PM

Quote:
I just found out my screen-grabs are png files, and are really huge.
I thought ever since you got your new computer it was taking me a lot longer to get loaded.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 8:22 PM

The little house caught in the wall

I used to spend quite a bit of time in Hollywood Memorial Park Cemetery (now Hollywood Forever, originally just Hollywood Cemetery) in the late 70s & early 80s when I lived a block and a half north of it. You'll recall that this area, directly south of the original Hollywood, was, at one time, called "Colegrove".

The land the cemetery occupies was once part of the old Gower Ranch. John (1820-1880) and Mary (1823-1904) Gower, originally from Maine, moved first to Hawaii and finally to the Cahuenga Valley in 1869, the first year of Southern California's first Boom. This was very early days for the area. The woman who would found Hollywood, Daeida Wilcox Beveridge, was then an 8-year-old back in Hicksville, Ohio. The Hollywood Hotel would not be built for another 33 years, although Pico House was going up at the Plaza. The Gowers bought a large parcel of land south of what was to become Sunset Blvd and, together with their 5 Maui-born children, grew wheat and barley. The Gowers also invested in modern harvesting equipment, hiring themselves and their equipment out to other farmers from the San Fernando Valley to Long Beach. This is how they met Issac Lankershim, a client. John Gower died in 1880. Mary Gower, 76 in 1899, was happy to sell 100 acres, south of Santa Monica Blvd, to Issac's son James Lankershim and his business partner and brother-in-law, Issac Van Nuys, for their cemetery venture (yes, Mary is buried there. Her husband John was moved from his original resting place to join her. All five of the Gower children are buried near their parents plus the husband of Hattie, 1862-1951, their youngest child, our own C. C. Pierce, 1861-1946).

Harvesting farmland in the Valley:

theautry.org

On my visits, I was always intrigued by a small, single-story stone house that seemed to have been caught by one corner in the high wall that surrounds the cemetery. It was beautifully constructed of rough-hewn granite with a contrasting stone outlining the windows and a pantile roof. There was an arched window, on the side closest the wall, with an elaborate stone frame surrounding it. The building is directly north of the lake and its location was obviously, at one time, quite important, not least because it is just across from Griffith J Griffith's memorial, a 40 foot tall obelisk, erected in 1902, the year before he shot his wife and 17 years before he died. (Trust Griffith to snag the most prominent spot in the new cemetery)

hollywoodforever.com

The stone building, inside the wall along Santa Monica Blvd (approx between N Bronson & N Van Ness), was the "pump house", according to a staff member, housing the mechanical plant for the irrigation system. I found that a very unsatisfactory answer. I pointed our the quality of the materials, workmanship and the little building's location. He, exasperated by my questions, exploded, "Lady, I don't know what you're talking about, it's just a shed!"

find a grave

hollywoodforever

It was only sometime after the advent of the net that I found a copy of the C.C. Pierce photo (dated 1903) below. It turns out the building was the original chapel. When new it had both a covered porch and a dome-topped tower. It formed a charming group with the swing gates and the terrific gatepost, of the same design as the tower, with a plaque reading "Hollywood Cemetery 1902". What a sweet introduction to a country cemetery in the new "Lawn Park" style, a distinct change from the forbidding cemeteries of the past.

usc c.c.pierce collection

The lovely little entrance group only lasted in this form for two years.

The 1904 death of poet and author Eliza Otis brought an unexpected change to Hollywood Cemetery. Her friends commissioned a set of cast-bronze bells from Ms Otis' native Ohio, inscribed with lines from her poems. Foundry staff accompanied the bells to California and supervised the needed changes to the chapel tower and the installation of the bells, also teaching cemetery staff how to play and care for them. The 1905 photo below shows the reworked chapel tower after the installation. (Note the wire net fencing strung along the sidewalk, entwined with climbing roses). The newly-redesigned tower lacked grace. The cohesiveness of the overall design was lost.

hollywoodforever.com (detail)

A fuller view of the reworked, now top-heavy, tower. Such a travesty.

usc c.c. pierce collection

Eliza Otis' widower, Harrison Gray Otis, was not so grief-stricken that he didn't think to engage in a bit of one-upmanship. Otis ordered an obelisk monument for his wife (and himself), very similar in style to Griffith's, and exactly a foot taller.

In the next years Hollywood expanded rapidly. The newly-laid-out streets around the cemetery filled with homes. The house I owned back in the day was built in 1915.

Twenty-six acres of the southern, so-far-unused, 40 acres of the cemetery parcel were sold to Brunton Studios circa 1920. Paramount took this over and expanded east to Van Ness. The SW corner went to RKO. The cemetery kept 62 acres.

Things were not going well back at the chapel tower. The colossal weight of the bells was actually buckling the timber frame of the reworked tower. In 1925 the bells were removed to a large, new, purpose-built bell tower to the right of a new entrance drive further to the west at 6000 Santa Monica Blvd. It was three stories. Offices took up the second floor with a florist at ground level:

wiki

The little chapel's days were numbered. Once charming, it was now looking decidedly homespun and worn, a sorry contrast to the cemetery's lofty, Italian-Renaissance-style Hollywood Cathedral Mausoleum, built in 1919-22 to designs by Pasadena architects Marston & Van Pelt, with smooth white marble and stained glass.

The Chapel of the Psalms was built in 1928, rendering the old chapel obsolete:

lapl

Also in the late 20s, the firm of Morgan, Walls & Clements was engaged to design an administration building to sit on the other side of the drive from the new bell tower. Something luxe was needed to greet visitors and please potential 'residents'. The completed design (Stiles O. Clements was supervising architect) included space for a reception area, offices, and a Masonic lodge (no less) with plenty of room left to host civic and cultural societies and a music school. It went up in 1932.

hollywoodphotographs.com

A 1937 view of the Administration Building from inside the cemetery:

Herman Schultheis / lapl

gsv

As part of the glamorous 1932 make-over of the cemetery, a high wall was built along the street frontages. The wall was set well back on the Santa Monica Blvd side, leaving impressively broad lawns giving the cemetery an air of unassailable exclusivity. It was the building of the wall that took out what was left of the chapel's porch and damaged tower (the swing gates and gate post had already been demolished), leaving a corner of the chapel itself clipped by the wall, saved only because of its usefulness as a shed.

A very shady felon got control of the cemetery a few years later. Such noir and corruption ensued through the following decades that the corpses were actually leaving, Max Factor's among them. More would have left, but the owners were charging a whopping $500 fee per disinterment, at that time the cemetery's only source of income. The newly dead were staying away in droves. Basic maintenance fell by the wayside causing distressing indignities and indecencies. Health & Safety almost shut the place down altogether. The broad lawns along Santa Monica Blvd were sold off for strip malls. The multi-million dollar endowment fund vanished. The bells fell silent.

The Hollywood Forever people, who have it now, are trying to return the cemetery to the glamour of its pre-1940 past. They may have also recognized the significance of their shed. I haven't been by recently, but I notice from Google maps that a new drive has been laid to it.

gsv

The Administration Building (1932) on the left and the Bell Tower (1925), shrouded in creeping fig, on the right, home of the Eliza Otis Memorial Bells for the past 90 years
gsv

The previous entrance signage in 1937:

Herman Schultheis / lapl

The 100 acres, looking NW, sold by Gower to Lankershim and Van Nuys.

wiki

A C.C. Pierce aerial (looking south) is below. Santa Monica Blvd runs along the bottom margin of the photograph. This was taken, I think, in 1922 to 1924 because the Hollywood Cathedral Mausoleum is up but neither the Bell Tower nor the new entrance is installed yet. The little chapel and tower (now shorn of it's swing gate and gatepost) stands at the entrance. The head grounds-keeper's cottage is west of the chapel, on the other side of the entrance. Notice too that the southern part of the lake has been drained. This area will later be used for Douglas Fairbanks memorial and reflecting pond.

Brunton Studios has 26 acres, north of Melrose, bought from the cemetery association. South of Melrose, at the southeast corner of Melrose and Van Ness, is Billy Clune's studio, now Raleigh Studios.

usc c.c. pierce collection

In this detail from the aerial above, one can more easily see the chapel on the left and the grounds-keeper's cottage (with kitchen garden) along to the west. G.J. Griffith's obelisk is above, and slightly right of center

usc c.c. pierce collection (detail)
zoomable:
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si.../id/4273/rec/2

For an update, see here

Last edited by tovangar2; Apr 29, 2017 at 5:22 AM. Reason: to correct "Palms" to "Psalms". LOL, that was Freudian

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 8:50 PM

At last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

Found HERE

We've seen similar before, but this was in the ad
section of an Earl Carroll Theatre program from 1939.
The Cafe Caliente and Monkey Island.
At last the Monkey Island address! Congratulations pal Martin. 2 minutes from Hollywood Bowl : this should help to locate it conclusively.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 8:58 PM

originally posted by tovanger2

Wow, so the little 'shed' used to be a chapel with a tower. That's a great discovery T2!
....thanks for sharing it with us.
__

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 9:57 PM

"The Galloping Goose" at Knott's Berry Farm 1950s.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/disneywizard/2504954621/

Does anyone that grew up in the Los Angeles area remember this contraption at Knotts?

__

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Wow, so the little 'shed' used to be a chapel with a tower.
__
Thx e-r. It's still marked as the "old pump house" on the Hollywood Forever map, so maybe they don't know what it is/was.
To be fair though, it was the pump house for much longer than it was a chapel.

Sorry, I'm drawing a blank on the Galloping Goose at Knott's.

Last edited by tovangar2; Feb 4, 2015 at 11:00 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

As part of the glamorous 1932 make-over of the cemetery, a high wall was built along the street frontages. The wall was set well back on the Santa Monica Blvd side, leaving impressively broad lawns giving the cemetery an air of unassailable exclusivity. It was the building of the wall that took out what was left of the chapel's porch, gate and damaged tower (all already in disuse), leaving a corner of the chapel itself clipped by the wall, saved only because of its usefulness as a shed.

A very shady felon got control of the cemetery a few years later. Such noir and corruption ensued through the following decades that the corpses were actually leaving, Max Factor's among them. More would have left, but the owners were charging a whopping $500 fee per disinterment, at that time the cemetery's only source of income. The newly dead were staying away in droves. Health & Safety almost shut the place down altogether. Basic maintenance fell by the wayside causing distressing indignities and indecencies. The broad lawns along Santa Monica Blvd were sold off for strip malls. The multi-million dollar endowment fund vanished. The bells fell silent.
Here's the cemetery in 1948.

Historic Aerials

Those "broad lawns along Santa Monica Blvd" are still visible up until 1980. Most of the site seems remarkably unchanged in 32 years. The trees have grown in the south-west corner, and the Hollywood Cathedral Mausoleum has been built in the south-east corner, but otherwise it's the same.

Historic Aerials

The 1989 image at Historic Aerials isn't nearly as sharp, but I think it shows the strip malls along Santa Monica Boulevard that tovangar2 mentioned.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 12:42 AM

ebay

It took me a bit to get my bearings, until it dawned on me that the construction in the distance (on the left) is for the Unocal Headquarters which was built in 1957.
But I want to direct your eye to the large building with the row of arched windows in the upper left hand corner.

I assumed the building was gone.....

....and replaced by this nondescript glass box.

view from the 5th street overpass

GSV

-looking south from S. Beaudry Ave.

But after looking at it from several angles, I think there's a possibility that the old building might be beneath all that glass.

below: Here's a vintage aerial view showing the building in question.

ebay

This contemporary aerial shows that the 'new' building has the same basic L shape.

bing_maps

-and I think from this angle you can see both the old and the new.

GSV

What do you guys think? Am I on the right track?

(I'm going to be extremely embarrassed if we've already discussed this on NLA)
__

One last thing:

Here's almost the same exact view as the postcard at the beginning of my post,
..except it's night (obviously ), and the construction of the Unocal Headquarters is finished.

ebay
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 5, 2015 at 2:37 AM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 1:26 AM

Galloping Goose

Quote:
"The Galloping Goose" at Knott's Berry Farm 1950s.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/disneywizard/2504954621/

Does anyone that grew up in the Los Angeles area remember this contraption at Knotts?

__
She's still there today, ER. Take a ride!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4GuKQudJH8

And some history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallopi..._%28railcar%29

Cheers,
Jack

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 2:06 AM

At first I thought this large ad with its odd 'warning' was about Natasha Rambova, Rudolph Valentino's paramour,

...but it's another Natacha......Natacha Nattova. (who?)

Hollywood, 1932.

Hollywood Filmograph, March 1932

Of course I just had to see what all this fuss was about.

After a google search or two, I found a photograph of Natacha in her enormous flower pot.

http://natachanattova.blogspot.com/2...-her-vase.html

I think she spun down the stem....so here's a close-up of her going the other way.

In 1932 Ms. Nattova appeared at the Loew's State downtown.

below: -simply amazing!

-makes me want to take up gardening.

close-up

So I wonder who was ripping off her act and stealing her mojo?
__

You can read more about the Natacha Nattova here:

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 5, 2015 at 3:04 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos