HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 1:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Mike's Club Wear and Ardenes in the same place?? I'm so there.
Ardene's is very posh. It is the epitome of upscale. You really hit the big time when your mall has an Ardene's...and a Bentley's. Preferably as anchor stores. Add a fishmonger, and you are set. One stop fishing, err, shopping.

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 2:30 PM
Riki beach

La Grande Place demolition this morning

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Ardene's is very posh. It is the epitome of upscale. You really hit the big time when your mall has an Ardene's...and a Bentley's. Preferably as anchor stores. Add a fishmonger, and you are set. One stop fishing, err, shopping.

A lot of the small mall chain stores seem to have their headquarters in Montreal or within the Montreal Region. That includes Ardene, Bentley, Dollarama, Reitmans, Hart and I'm probably missing a few others.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 1:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Montreal is still the headquarters of the fashion industry in Canada, which spun off a lot of retail, which in turn had a cluster effect on developing new retail chains/concepts.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 1:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone View Post
La Grande Place demolition this morning
looks apocalyptic.

before:

gino caron

rimouski.ca

was this a real postcard?

moutonnoir

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 2:15 PM
Riki beach

^No, the ''postcard'' was more a tongue in cheek to show the populace exasperation.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 3:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone View Post
^No, the ''postcard'' was more a tongue in cheek to show the populace exasperation.
I thought so!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 1:01 PM
Riki beach

La Grande Place demo this morning June 16 - the X-bracing on the right wasn't part of the original structure and was added when the first half was demolished.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 2:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

That place was a real eyesore. I am sure Rimouski is glad to be getting rid of it. Was there an enclosed mall?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 1:02 PM
Riki beach

Quote:
That place was a real eyesore. I am sure Rimouski is glad to be getting rid of it. Was there an enclosed mall?
An eyesore now but it was ahead of its time for Rimouski when it opened more than 50 years ago. It was Canada's first mall built on pillars and Eastern Quebec's first shopping mall. It had Rimouski's only escalator that would take you from the ground level parkade underneath it to the raised mall which had 2 main wings shaped like a T, anchor tenants and a food court.

It was the shopping mall in Eastern Quebec until you guessed it the construction of the larger Carrefour Rimouski, who helped to start its decline.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 6:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^any (interior) photos of the Mall back in it's heyday?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 12:32 AM
Riki beach

Good idea I'll try to find some!

This evening June 22 - Toujours ouvert pour vous servir

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 1:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Always open to serve you! Love it. I guess that shopping is a little bit...dangerous though.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 1:20 PM
Riki beach

Quote:
Always open to serve you! Love it. I guess that shopping is a little bit...dangerous though.

I believe the only thing left to shop is used steel in the clearance aisle.

It's replacement project can't really be as bad as its predecessor and/or what's around it. It will have a public esplanade, retail spaces on the ground floor and will bring even more density to this block.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 8:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

good infill. Is Rimouski growing in terms of population?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 4:23 AM

Quote:
good infill. Is Rimouski growing in terms of population?
According to the census, no. 0.6% in the city and 0.8% in the CMA. But I feel like so many places are having building booms, even when the population stats are showing almost no growth. Nice time for development afficionados though

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 5:02 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Montreal is still the headquarters of the fashion industry in Canada, which spun off a lot of retail, which in turn had a cluster effect on developing new retail chains/concepts.
SIMONS is the epitome of fashion. I wish there were more SIMONS in Canada.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=3039

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 1:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Dammit, I clicked. MikeToronto. There is a voice from the past. I actually sort of miss the guy's rambling posts about Toronto area bus routes (once, he presented this master plan where he had rejigged all the routes and schedules to suit his fantasies about mass transit...it must have represented hundreds of hours of work on his part).

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Dammit, I clicked. MikeToronto. There is a voice from the past. I actually sort of miss the guy's rambling posts about Toronto area bus routes (once, he presented this master plan where he had rejigged all the routes and schedules to suit his fantasies about mass transit...it must have represented hundreds of hours of work on his part).
He should be in the SSP Hall of Fame. His pontifications about retail hierarchy and where retail should go was quite regimented. I'm sure he lamented on the decline of the department store dining rooms that Eaton's/Simpson's/The Bay used to have in a bygone era.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
SIMONS is the epitome of fashion. I wish there were more SIMONS in Canada.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=3039
Everywhere needs a Simons although Edmonton didn't seem to appreciate what they were given.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada